1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: *** The Official Playstation 5 (PS5) Thread ***

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by BMox81, Apr 16, 2019.

?

Which PS5 Version will you likely buy?

1. Digital Only Version

67 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. UHD Optical Version

242 vote(s)
    63.9%
  3. Unlikely to buy either

70 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. DeliciousStorage

Associate

There is virtually no chance the PS5 will launch at £350, it will be more like £450-£500 for PS5 and £500-£550 for Xbox Series X.

2. SDK^

Capodecina

Yep - some reports are quoting the PS5 costs Sony about $450 to make and Analysts expect the starting price to be from $499

https://www.laptopmag.com/news/ps5-specs-price-vs-gaming-laptop

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

3. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

I envisage PS5 to cost £549.99 and Series X to cost £599.99. There is no way they can sell these at a ridiculous loss - especially with Covid-19 wrecking things the world over.

Shawrey

4. TNA

Capodecina

Will be no more than £499 imo. Unless our currency tanks a lot by then anyway.

5. nicktay2605

Mobster

It'll only be over £500 if the Series X is also over £500. Neither company wants to be drastically different to the other in price, there's ample evidence that being the more expensive of the two launch consoles contributes to losing that generation (Xbox 360 was cheaper and outsold the PS3, PS4 was cheaper and outsold the Xbox One). Also, MS are in a position where they can afford to take more of a hit on each console sold than Sony can, so I wouldn't be surprised to see MS match whatever price Sony announce.

6. TheVoice

Capodecina

^The PS3 outsold the 360 in the end though.

7. Calin Banc

Wise Guy

Compared to the classical HHD, yes, the difference will be big (as it is now even with less than stellar SSDs), but compared to Xbox and PCs's fast SSDs, I doubt it will be significant - outside of some marginal cases (some due to bad porting, some, maybe justified from some standpoint).

I get that loading times and fast travel times will be faster (although that is still loading time), but a huge difference in gameplay... I'm skeptical. Even when used as RAM, I guess it ain't that easy or doable since the bandwidth at best (for PS5) is around DDR 3 1066MHz (8.5GB/s) and DDR 3 1333MHz, (10.6GB/s), while 3200MHz is 25.6GB. It could help to stream stuff more than a simpler HDD, but as pure RAM job... Not to mention the MTBF which would suffer a hit if the SSD would be heavily used - but indeed, is just supposition on my part. :)

So far the limits were mostly in terms of API, GPU, CPU, RAM and then storage (better physics, more complex and numerous NPCs, better graphics, always contributed more the the gameplay). Happy to be proven wrong, though.

8. eggyoke

Mobster

Been thinking about backwards compatibility while browsing reddit and someone briefly mentioned the idea of an external PS5 expansion device for 100% BC. Like you connect this device/drive to a rear port on the PS5 and it accepts all PS1 to PS3 games and plays it through the PS5. Sony could then just focus on handling PS4 BC for PS5 like we know they're doing.

No idea if this could work or how expensive it would be, but if they did release something like this at a decent price, I'd totally buy it if it meant I could play all my old library upscaled on a HDTV.

I mean if Sony just came and said in the PS5 reveal that full backwards compatibility is too difficult for whatever reason but then said they're working on this as an option for those that want it, I think it'd go down well. It's better than having nothing IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. Bigpig

Soldato

The more I hear about prices the more off putting it's becoming.

Like seriously 550+ for the Series X.......

That's a lot of money for a paperweight!!!!!!!!

10. TNA

Capodecina

Neither console should exceed £499 imo.

11. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

Then wait for the lower powered version to be announced.

12. Bigpig

Soldato

What for what?

A cheaper and lighter paperweight?

13. stoofa

Capodecina

Don't use it as a paperweight?
    Better options here:- https://www.caithnessglass.co.uk/paperweights

14. ralv585

Wise Guy

The more you hear about prices from random people on the internet more like.

Wait for them to release their prices officially, then make your mind up.

15. mmj_uk

Capodecina

Whatever the cost of next gen is Sony are going to beat MS on price and the rest will be history. The only time MS really had any success versus Sony was when they were a lot cheaper with Xbox 360 and Sony's PS3 was excessively expensive, I mean the 360 had RROD and everything and it still flew off the shelves. Console gamers generally care more about price than technical stuff.

16. Plainsong

Soldato

Indeed. People passing opinions off as facts in this thread is a joke.

17. TheVoice

Capodecina

It's not being used as RAM, the RAM is the RAM. The point of the SSD is to allow RAM to be used more effectively because rather than data being streamed from the HDD into RAM at 120MB/sec and held there in case it's needed, it can be streamed off the SSD at 8-9GB/sec just before it's required and lets the RAM be used for data required right now.

It's obviously going to be down to the developers to make proper use of that and I imagine it'll take a while for them to fully exploit it but it could be pretty significant when they do.

18. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

If you’re not interested then just say so, don’t hide behind an excuse of price.

19. Bigpig

Soldato

Who says I'm not interested?I have game pass and elite pad. Over 500 quid for any console is a joke.

Just because I'm making fun of it means jack...

Everyone is running round here getting bent out of shape over specs.

Both consoles seems to be comparable so it will be down to price and games.

We won't really know much more until the summer.

Yes I'm heavy leaning towards PS5 because I had to give my Pro away and there's a few titles I would like to catch up on.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  20. Shawreyboy

Wise Guy

Fixed that for you ;)

Shawrey