• UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters

V F

V F

Soldato
Many shops if it isn't in stock there is a pre-order button. For Playstation 5 there is nothing to click on. "Unavailable"

Soldato
I saw stock in the rainforest this morning on my phone - but couldnt add it to my basket for love (or money)

Even went for a R&C, extra controller and PS5 but same issue but within 5 or so minutes stock had completely gone

Doesnt help that Im actually required to be onsite at work before 8am and we are usually frantic before 9 grrrr

Caporegime
I saw stock in the rainforest this morning on my phone - but couldnt add it to my basket for love (or money)

Even went for a R&C, extra controller and PS5 but same issue but within 5 or so minutes stock had completely gone

Doesnt help that Im actually required to be onsite at work before 8am and we are usually frantic before 9 grrrr
From what I've seen, AO drops usually last the longest. It's because to order from AO you actually need to start messing around with the web page. You can't just click a button to order, you have to modify another product's link and paste it in to the address bar.

This makes AO drops stick around for a lot, lot longer than Amazon drops, etc. And the AO website doesn't crash in the process.

Soldato
Seagate confirms that the Firecuda 530 is compatible.

Pasted from Resetera.

We have done some testing with Sony on the PlayStation 5 and today we can confirm that the FireCuda 530 with the heatsink has met all the PS5 requirements. With the PS5 design, the SSD card slot is very narrow, so there's not much room for the SSD to mount. However, with the FireCuda 530 – even with the heatsink on the top – the slim design allows for it to fit. Of course, the FireCuda 530 without the heatsink is slimmer, so both of them will fit into the PS5.”

Soldato
That is hilariously complicated. It'll at least be easier when manufacturers can outright say "Compatible with/certified for PS5".

I don't know about hilariously complicated - but certainly at this beta stage it isn't straight forward.
I suspect Sony will offer a validation service at some point (may already be doing so) and we'll see manufacturers listing "PS5" as a compatible device for their drives.

Soldato

Pasted from Resetera.

We have done some testing with Sony on the PlayStation 5 and today we can confirm that the FireCuda 530 with the heatsink has met all the PS5 requirements. With the PS5 design, the SSD card slot is very narrow, so there's not much room for the SSD to mount. However, with the FireCuda 530 – even with the heatsink on the top – the slim design allows for it to fit. Of course, the FireCuda 530 without the heatsink is slimmer, so both of them will fit into the PS5.”

4TB Firecuda 530 it is then. Should come in around £800 I would have thought.

Caporegime

Pasted from Resetera.

Oh nice, and in stock!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...368e5d588d3-1627556055-0-gqNtZGzNAw2jcnBszQkO

Cheaper than the Xbox expansion pack too.

Soldato
I don't know about hilariously complicated - but certainly at this beta stage it isn't straight forward.
I suspect Sony will offer a validation service at some point (may already be doing so) and we'll see manufacturers listing "PS5" as a compatible device for their drives.

They're having to provide millimetre-specific measurements for dimensions for various versions with and without "cooling structures", it's a lot of information to work through for the average customer and that isn't likely to change when it comes out of beta. As I said, the only saving grace really is that manufacturers can clarify things for the consumer on websites/packaging.

Oh nice, and in stock!

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...368e5d588d3-1627556055-0-gqNtZGzNAw2jcnBszQkO

Cheaper than the Xbox expansion pack too.

Wrong one, this is the 530:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...olid-state-drive-with-heatsink-hd-3dw-se.html

£200 for 1TB of games storage is rather obscene really, it's not going to make much sense to go down this route until prices come down further. You can get a lot of external SATA SSD storage for that money instead, and copying games across is a relatively quick process.

Soldato
I was always going to get myself a 2TB drive. I know it won't be cheap, but it should last me the lifetime of the console - so will get many years use. My older PS4 games that really cannot make use of the super-fast storage will remain on my 1TB external SSD drive and I've then got around 2.6TB of usable internal storage for PS5 games.

Soldato
In case anyone interested - I just did a quick search around and found 6 potentially compatible drives - not looked at prices, but should be able to find best deals on one of them:

Seagate Firecuda 530 - 80.15mm x 24.2mm x 11.04mm (Heatsink)
WD SN850 - 80mm x 23.37mm x 8.89mm (Heatsink)
Samsung 980 Pro - 80.15mm x 22.15mm x 2.38mm
Sabrent Rocket 4+ - 80mm x 21.8mm x 2.8mm
Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 7000 - 80.5mm x 23.5mm x 11.4mm
Corsair MP600 Pro - 80mm x 23mm x 15mm

Soldato
Always had a playstation but i think Sony have messed up this time with their storage. Going to have some cracking games on there but whats the point if you can only have a few on there. Personally ill be alright as i normally have 1 or 2 games on the go and i have a good broadband speed so patches should be quite quick. Still think im going to wait till they release one with a bigger storage, honestly dont know what Sony were thinking for a 2020 console.

Soldato
They were thinking that super fast storage is expensive, you can have a £600 PS5 if you’d prefer.

For what you get the PS5 is great value for money.

It’s the XBox storage upgrade that I don’t get, it’s half the speed but the same price?

Back
Top Bottom