• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
I gave Ashen a go earlier. I’m sure I’ve tried it before but dropped it. It’s an interesting Souls-like game and pretty decent. So many games available with the new subs I’ll never have time to play them all. Other than the odd day one game - which is rare - I don’t think I’ll need to buy much again with what’s available to me now.

Soldato
The Samsung 980 Pro is £95 and has marginally better read speeds. In reality, can't go wrong with either but with the WD you're arguably paying £5 for an RGB LED you can't use (or see).
Yeah, the 980 Pro I’d agree on however I recall there being an issue with read speeds being a lot lower on the PS5 until flashed with newer firmware. No idea if it’s been resolved or what.

I didn’t want all that faff in the way!

Soldato
Yeah, the 980 Pro I’d agree on however I recall there being an issue with read speeds being a lot lower on the PS5 until flashed with newer firmware. No idea if it’s been resolved or what.

I didn’t want all that faff in the way!

The heatsink model only came out fairly recently so it'll almost certainly come with the most recent (or close to) firmware.

Soldato
I've raised an rma for mine, but not posted it yet. I tried a few of the suggested fixes but imo it's not worth attempting them. Not sure why it's a problem, as my ps4 controllers were ancient and had no drift.
I got in touch with Amazon on the end they just credited my account with enough to buy a new one.
I'll take my current one apart and look at cleaning it

Soldato
Nothing been said about new game additions PS+? I know they've done the three for the Essential tier but shouldn't we be getting new games added to the Extra tier about now? And then again in two weeks. Or are they breaking their promise already? :p

EDIT: Stray is coming on 19 July but I expect more than that.
New Extra and Premium games announced.

Soldato
Is there any noticeable difference between SSD and HDD as an external drive for PS4 games? Load times etc?

Depends on the game, but I certainly noticed a difference when I upgraded my PS4 Pro to an SSD. I've only ever used (the same) SSD as an external on the PS5 but would assume the same performance gains are replicated.

Soldato
Haven't had a chance to explore the new PS+ yet... Do you still have to "claim" the games each month?
Essential games yes. Extra and Premium it makes no difference because if or when they get removed your access gets removed if you’ve claimed them or not. It’s probably best not to claim Extra games though unless you’re going to play them then and there because if a Extra games goes to Essential it’s best to claim it as an Essential game as that way you can play it as long as you have a sub even if it’s removed from Extra. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Associate
Is there any noticeable difference between SSD and HDD as an external drive for PS4 games? Load times etc?
Not sure about external but when I replaced my PS4 Pro HDD with and SSD a Samsung 860 QVO the load times on Division 2 were way quicker. In game too, like when you get in an elevator the loading back in was far quicker.

You could tell who had SSD's in their PS4's as when you loaded into a raid the SSD users would be on the beach waiting for others to load in.

Playing Division 2 now on the PS5 and I don't think the PS5 is any quicker than the Pro was with the QVO in it, can't check though as I've sold the Pro now.

Soldato
Depends on the game, but I certainly noticed a difference when I upgraded my PS4 Pro to an SSD. I've only ever used (the same) SSD as an external on the PS5 but would assume the same performance gains are replicated.
As an external drive I am not sure - shirley USB will bottleneck the SSD for read speeds?

SSD in the Pro itself makes it a totally different machine. Aside from Naughty Dog games (Uncharted/Last of Us x) everything is else is stupidly nippy.

Soldato
Essential games yes. Extra and Premium it makes no difference because if or when they get removed your access gets removed if you’ve claimed them or not. It’s probably best not to claim Extra games unless you’re going to play them then and there because if a Extra games goes to Essential it’s best to claim it as an Essential game as that way you can play it as long as you have a sub even if it’s removed from Extra. Hope that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, cheers!

Back
Top Bottom