• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
The PS5 will use regular 4 layer Blu-ray discs.

I still don’t know what you mean by a 4K disc. The output resolution of the device is independent of the capacity of the storage medium, so even a single layer Blu-ray disc can have 4K media on it.
True but I called it a 4k disc to differentiate it from a 'normal' 2 layer disc that current consoles use.

Man of Honour
True but I called it a 4k disc to differentiate it from a 'normal' 2 layer disc that current consoles use.

Ah now I see what you mean, they're called "Ultra HD Blu-ray" discs. For movies I see that they're being marketed as "4K Ultra HD" but that is only specifically for film marketing, as it has no meaning outside of video media formats.

I know it's pedantic.

If that's what you are referring to then the current XBox One S and XBox One X already support them so the PS5 and XSX definitely will.

Soldato
Ah now I see what you mean, they're called "Ultra HD Blu-ray" discs. For movies I see that they're being marketed as "4K Ultra HD" but that is only specifically for film marketing, as it has no meaning outside of video media formats.

I know it's pedantic.

If that's what you are referring to then the current XBox One S and XBox One X already support them so the PS5 and XSX definitely will.
I gathered:p. I do find it a bit hard explaining stuff on forums, it's a bit one sided:D Compared to a normal conversation. I'm just don't get why they didn't put a 4k drive in the ps4 pro.

Soldato
The discs will become key files that just allow you to play. They will fit what they can on disc then the rest will be a content download you have to have, and subsequent game updates beyond 1.0 will be a full digital download.

Which will put the games out of the reach of quite a number of people who don't have access to fibre internet, myself included (stuck with 1MB/s ADSL2+). Can see quite a few angry people down the line when the game they bought on disc can't be played because it needs a 100GB patch.

V F

V F

Soldato
Which will put the games out of the reach of quite a number of people who don't have access to fibre internet, myself included (stuck with 1MB/s ADSL2+). Can see quite a few angry people down the line when the game they bought on disc can't be played because it needs a 100GB patch.

I remember that feeling with Gran Turismo 6. Install then updating it in the afternoon, then come 8 - 9pm it then started installing and never finished until near midnight when I was eager to play.

Caporegime
I'd love to opt for discless however until they have a reality check with there prices won't happen unless am forced
Yeah this is the only reason really why I'd opt for the disc version over diskless.

Dem digital store prices be insane.

The rumour of course makes zero sense - releasing a price this side of a major Xbox show.
So I'd stick to the other thoughts of mid to late August.
They aren't going to release the price for the PS5. All sales will be conducted by sealed bid auction ;)

Careful, you'll bring out all the BT shareholders here with their chorus of "nobody needs more than 10MB". A view BT themselves seem to have held for decades.

e: BT still believe that "demand for FTTP is low" and that FTTC is "good enough" for most people.

Hence why they're not really too bothered about rolling out fibre, unless the UK govt wants to bung some money in their direction.

Meanwhile, in France, 30 euros gets you 1000/200, phone and TV.

This country sucks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Careful, you'll bring out all the BT shareholders here with their chorus of "nobody needs more than 10MB". A view BT themselves seem to have held for decades.

Hence why they're not really too bothered about rolling out fibre, unless the UK govt wants to bung some money in their direction.

Meanwhile, in France, 30 euros gets you 1000/200, phone and TV.

This country sucks.

Don't be mad guys. This is going to seem slow to me soon, getting upgraded to 5000/2500Mbps at the end of the year and then 10000/5000Mbps when its available in 2022.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good luck with your new life in France
See that 's just typical when you point out stuff that this country is poor at compared to elsewhere. Instead of saying, "We should do better, we're in the internet slow lane," people instead rush to say, "UK is best country. Don't like it then leave. BT have to make a profit. Nothing wrong with the UK."

The UK is not some mythical "best in class" country that has achieved perfection. The UK has incumbents like BT that absolutely do not want to make things better if it will impact their share price, or shareholders will have to take less dividend, or CEOs won't get their stock options worth £millions for that year.

The UK is so obsessed with shareholder value and CEO stock options, that incumbents like BT sitting on their hands is almost seen as the pinnacle of success. "Profit before progress" should be this country's motto, imho.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
See that 's just typical when you point out stuff that this country is poor at compared to elsewhere. Instead of saying, "We should do better, we're in the internet slow lane," people instead rush to say, "UK is best country. Don't like it then leave. BT have to make a profit. Nothing wrong with the UK."

The UK is not some mythical "best in class" country that has achieved perfection. The UK has incumbents like BT that absolutely do not want to make things better if it will impact their share price, or shareholders will have to take less dividend, or CEOs won't get their stock options worth £millions for that year.

The UK is so obsessed with shareholder value and CEO stock options, that incumbents like BT sitting on their hands is almost seen as the pinnacle of success. "Profit before progress" should be this country's motto, imho.

Please leave. Go to France or somewhere else if you are not happy here!

:p:D

fez

fez

Caporegime

Thats just any capitalist economy. There are no massive private companies who don't put their shareholders front and centre of every single decision. The UK is also a very different country to a lot of others.

Want to run a massive road between two places or upgrade a trainline. Try and do it without going through dozens of towns and villages or making the line so bendy that it can't run at a good top speed.

I think that certain things should be upgraded and prioritised but its not as simple as "look at France" or "look at X".

Back
Top Bottom