• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
For PS4 games; is it possible to install/store/play from an external USB 2.5" hdd rather than the internal ssd?
Pretty sure Cerny mentioned in his presentation that this would be the case, yes. PS5 games will only run off the SSD though. I think this is a simple solution for most when the PS5 library is small. No point spending silly money on an SSD expansion for a while.

Soldato
Has anyone found anything concrete on Game Boost, other than the GoT announcement? From what I can see, it looks like this will be an extra refinement on top of backwards compatibility, but will require the developer to implement it. Does that sound about right?

Soldato
Ahh; good stuff. Although the number of PS4 games I want to replay is small, I'd like to "protect" the ssd as much as possible. Aside of AC:V, I suspect the ssd won't get much use till next year when the exclusives start rattling in (hopefully).

Soldato
Ahh; good stuff. Although the number of PS4 games I want to replay is small, I'd like to "protect" the ssd as much as possible. Aside of AC:V, I suspect the ssd won't get much use till next year when the exclusives start rattling in (hopefully).
To be honest I'll probably do a bit of both. The load time improvements will be a nice gain from the SSD. Probably stick 4-5 games on there like I do now. Just saw a post where DMC5 loads in 4 seconds compared to 25+ seconds on the PS4.

Associate
apologies. Didn’t realise more third party memory options were going to be available.
No need to apologise - they didn't exactly shout the fact from the rooftops, so not surprising that many aren't aware. To some extent, I think they probably won't drop as quickly, but they most certainly will drop.........I do wonder if they are hot swappable as well? Would be nice if you're visiting a mate to just swap out the SSD and take it with you.

Soldato

It's write durability that tends to be the concern, so copying games backwards and forwards will put more wear on the drive than just leaving the game there.

That said, I don't think it's going to be anything most people need to be concerned with. It takes a lot to kill an SSD through write wear alone and they'll have thought about that in advance.

Soldato
Sony has brought forward accessories to release in UK on 12th like the games.

Makes me think it's even dumber, surely they can just get the consol to UK gamers on the same day

What's point in giving us games and now extra accessories earlier without the consol itself

Soldato
Sony has brought forward accessories to release in UK on 12th like the games.

Makes me think it's even dumber, surely they can just get the consol to UK gamers on the same day

What's point in giving us games and now extra accessories earlier without the consol itself

LOL at Sony!

Soldato
Wonder why they’ve chosen to put the console back for us by a week :/ I don’t understand why it can’t just be a worldwide release on the same day.

It's not that unusual. In the US the PS4 released two weeks ahead of Europe - and Japan had to wait another three months to get their hands on it. Perhaps it's just the logistics of the thing, manufacture capability or maybe even server demand? Oh well at least it's only a week this time.

Associate
I think the release of the accessories and games early is to help distributors with resources. Imagine trying to box millions of consoles and then also box the accessories/games and fit them on a van going to recipients houses. The distributors are going to want the vans full of consoles on release day and not the accessories/games - smart move imo.

Soldato
Seems that people absolutely lost it when MS announced the prices of their expandable storage drives but we now have drives compatible with the PS5 and they aren't cheap
https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/which-ssd-drives-will-be-compatible-with-ps5
$230 for 1TB :eek:
Next gen be expensive, yo!

The difference is the prices will come down as they not proprietry, whilst the MS ones wont. Of course on the 360 people figured out it was normal drives inside a casing so you could just swap out with normal drives still which is what I did on my 360.

PCIe4 drives for some reason have a horrid premium right now but it will die down as competition improves, for the vast majority of cases its random i/o thats king which is why a nvme drive is usually barely noticeable over a sata driver yet a ssd sata feels way faster than a hdd spindle. I expect practical load times on the Xbox with its PCIE3 specc'd drives wont be noticeably different to the PS5. It is a shame sony went the PCIE4 route.

Soldato
I think the release of the accessories and games early is to help distributors with resources. Imagine trying to box millions of consoles and then also box the accessories/games and fit them on a van going to recipients houses. The distributors are going to want the vans full of consoles on release day and not the accessories/games - smart move imo.

Distribution is definitely part of it. I just hope mine isn't rattling around in the back of some Amazon delivery drivers transit.

Soldato
It's unusual cause it's just not happened before, least I don't recall it in any recent consol release

I accept giving countries different release dates. But if consol is out November 19th then I'd expect it's games an accessories to be the same not a week earlier

Soldato
It's unusual cause it's just not happened before, least I don't recall it in any recent consol release

I accept giving countries different release dates. But if consol is out November 19th then I'd expect it's games an accessories to be the same not a week earlier

The upsurge in digital might have something to do with the software being available but I agree with the accessories part.

Back
Top Bottom