**** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Thread ****

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
The folks at Ausdroid have received a leaked sales brochure for the Galaxy Note 8 which confirms some major details about the handset.

The leaked Galaxy Note 8 brochure confirms that the Galaxy Note 8 is going to feature a 6.3-inch QHD+ Infinity Display with S Pen support. It’s also going to feature an iris scanner and wireless charging. The Galaxy Note 8 will be IP68 dust and water resistant.

The Galaxy Note 8’s dual camera will have f/1.7 lenses with support for 2x optical zoom and Optical Image Stabilization. Since this is a Note device after all, it will be very easy to take notes, the Screen-off Memo feature will be onboard to jot down notes with the stylus even when the screen is off.

Samsung is going to offer it in Midnight Black and Maple Gold colors, as far as the Australian market is concerned. The new Deep Sea Blue color option may be limited to select markets. The brochure doesn’t reveal any pricing information for the Galaxy Note 8

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/08/17/leaked-galaxy-note-8-brochure-confirms-major-details/

Caporegime
OP
All we need to know about pricing is that we'll need some good lube. My excitement has waned a little but don't know of any other phone that ticks as many boxes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't like curved displays as they distort the image. Don't see the attraction at all.

This is a Note phone, a phablet for professional use, not a gimmicky teenagers' toy.

Also the spec doesn't seem that much of a leap over my Note 4. The problem is that I need a new Note phone...

It doesn't really "distort" the image, perhaps distort is the wrong word to use. Distort would mean the image looks stretched at the edges to the point of being visibly... well distorted. There is no distortion, but the image does curve around the edge display. I videos it works really well and I've been enjoying movies and shows via Prime Video and Netflix which no loss in immersion or enjoyment.

In some regards I find that quite nice, gives an extra depth to stuff. Apps that follow Google's design language don't have any issues with edge displays. Everything has a margin from the edge so not UX elements fall foul of it.

As for Note 8 upgrade vs S8+ whihc I have now, I posted a comment in the S8 sub reddit where someone asked if people were looking to make the switch, I said:

No.

I've had the Notes before and thought I'd miss having the stylus when changing to a non Note phone, I didn't.

I also am not sure about the new dual cameras. Unless the sensor tech has been upgraded, then it's not a true "optical zoom" setup considering both lenses are fixed focal length and not variable.

The software (Samsung Experience 8.5) will be coming to the S8 as well, so software based USPs don't matter either to push me toward the Note 8.

On top of that, the battery is said to be 3300mAh, whereas the S8+ is 3500mAh. Given the screen is bigger, and it uses the same SoC, I can't see it outlasting an S8+ from a full charge.

If the OIS is much improved, and the wide angle lens offers much better resolution and IQ than LG's G6 wide angle (which is OK until you crop an image or zoom in to to get a closer look), then I might consider it because camera features are my #1 desire now given that Samsung have the rest of the hardware nailed to a T.

Soldato
It’s not a render or a live image of the actual device. Images of a Galaxy Note 8 dummy unit have been leaked online today. These are the units that you see in cellphone shop displays across the globe.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/08/17/galaxy-note-8-dummy-leaves-nothing-imagination/

S-PEN looks bit crap in the last pic :p

https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/galaxy-note-8-dummy-leaked-1.jpg

https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/galaxy-note-8-dummy-leaked-3.jpg

https://www.sammobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/galaxy-note-8-dummy-leaked-6.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
It doesn't really "distort" the image, perhaps distort is the wrong word to use. Distort would mean the image looks stretched at the edges to the point of being visibly... well distorted. There is no distortion, but the image does curve around the edge display. I videos it works really well and I've been enjoying movies and shows via Prime Video and Netflix which no loss in immersion or enjoyment.

In some regards I find that quite nice, gives an extra depth to stuff. Apps that follow Google's design language don't have any issues with edge displays. Everything has a margin from the edge so not UX elements fall foul of it.

Not having ever seen an edge phone display, can you tell when you look at the phone's display image that the edges are curved? If yes and it doesn't look identical to a flat screen, then it's distorted.

Distorted doesn't just mean 'stretched'.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No, you can't tell.

On previous generation devices with edge displays the curve was more pronounced and it was more obvious. It has steadily become less and less so to the point where it's not noticeable at all. It's just a subtle curve in the glass and panel that looks classy and makes the phone look lie there is no bezel on the sides without distorting anything.

I would recommend you check one out.

Soldato
Some new information has surfaced online today courtesy of Evan Blass a.k.a @evleaks. The serial leakster claims that Samsung is going to start taking pre-orders for the Galaxy Note 8 from August 24. That will be the very next day after the unveiling.

As far as the pre-order incentives are concerned, Galaxy Note 8 customers in the US will have to choose between a 256GB microSD card + convertible wireless charger and Samsung’s Gear 360 camera

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...gust_24_sales_on_september_15_-news-26833.php

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Having had the dex dock, it's not really all that, and if you use third party themes, then the phone won't work with it.

Also that sucks because the dock is far less value than the 360 camera

Back
Top Bottom