****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

Associate
Well the phone will be coming soon we have the latest specs and the correct name for the device lets keep it all in one place.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 is out in the open a day early - specs, photo, the whole shebang. A Korean website slipped up and we now know everything about the next-gen droid, plus info on the Galaxy Tab 2, which reportedly will be 10-inch this time around.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 has grown a bigger screen, another core and somehow gotten thinner in spite of all that. The phone runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a 1GHz dual-core processor.
The Galaxy S2 screen has a 4.3” diagonal. The phone is just 8.49mm thick and weighs 116 grams. The photo on the left also leaked and the S2 looks just like we expected it to.
The connectivity specs of the Samsung Galaxy S2 are very curious - “4G” (actually HSPA+), Wi-Fi a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 3.0+HS. The 802.11a standard uses the 5GHz band rather than the more common 2.4GHz so perhaps the WLAN radio of the Galaxy S2 will be dual-band for the other protocols too. There's also Bluetooth 3.0+HS, which should support 24Mbps data transfers (unlike the non-HS BT3.0, which as we found brings no speed improvement at all).

galaxy2_seine.jpg

Izi

Izi

Soldato
The only problem now is that is samsung who don't care about their customers and leave you with out dated software. I might wait for something HTC flavoured.

Soldato
Actual Pic:

galaxy-s-ii-hands-on-03-sm.jpg

I love the whole whole phone and the back looks smart too - but I hate that square home button so badly...make it a standard 4 button layout

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice specs and all apart from the looks as usual :rolleyes:, but since Samsung handle the software side of things for this, no thanks, where as if it where google/stock android, then I would consider it.

Rubbish support/update procedure, won't get more than 1 android update guaranteed, just like the GS and all their other mobiles and they also have the worst drivers ever.

For me, it's going to be HTC or the atrix :cool:

Soldato
since this thing launches with 2.3 i don't really have a problem with updates...as long as i get 2.4 somtime in the future im happy. Also 2.2 and 2.3 android really has all the smartphone featurse covered...the rest that come in the updates are extra's and tweaks. Don't get me wrong though i want the updates but i dont see them as essential

Soldato
Surprised it's supposed to be out this month, also the vid on engadget states (I think, it's a bit noisy) 'greater than 1600mah battery' (around 17 seconds in) which is good news :)

On the subject of updates, having never actually bothered with official updates on my Magic I'm not sure but it doesn't really appear that HTC do much more than Samsung?

On the Magic there was a HTC provided 1.5 -> 1.6, then the next 'official' update was done by the american/canadian T-Mobile producing Froyo (way after everyone else already had it)

The Hero took forever to get it's first, and so far only update

The Desire did get a very quick update to Froyo, but then as it's effectively a Nexus One that was an 'easy' one for them, still no Gingerbread, nor any official announcement that it's planned afaik?

And Desire HD obviously no Gingerbread there yet either, and the chances are over the next few days HTC will be announcing a new phone, almost definately on GB and that's just going to delay any possible upgrade to the DHD.

Probably a bit of off-topic-ness there, and I could be completely wrong with some of those I'm not exactly massively up to date on the official updates, least of all for non-Magic phones :p

So back to the phone, I'm very tempted to end my vodafone contract early and get one of these, unless HTC brings out a very impressive phone in competition

Caporegime
since this thing launches with 2.3 i don't really have a problem with updates...as long as i get 2.4 somtime in the future im happy. Also 2.2 and 2.3 android really has all the smartphone featurse covered...the rest that come in the updates are extra's and tweaks. Don't get me wrong though i want the updates but i dont see them as essential

Well tbh I would be surprised if it even got 2.4, lol.

I am sure that there will be other things though, which can be improved even more with future updates, although maybe not quite as essential as 2.2 was.

One of the main problems is that Samsung release so many mobiles and so therefore they can't maintain them all, have a look at GSMARENA and see all the mobiles they have released since the GS, even the NS and compare that to HTC, Motorola etc. but it works for them, getting all the sales etc. so they won't be changing that any time soon.

But as said before it's also their drivers, which are dreadful from experience with my mobile and from reading about all their other mobiles especially the GS, which you would expect to be near enough perfect to use just out of the box, without the need for lag fixes etc. but that can be solved by just rooting and putting a new ROM on.

On the subject of updates, having never actually bothered with official updates on my Magic I'm not sure but it doesn't really appear that HTC do much more than Samsung?

On the Magic there was a HTC provided 1.5 -> 1.6, then the next 'official' update was done by the american/canadian T-Mobile producing Froyo (way after everyone else already had it)

The Hero took forever to get it's first, and so far only update

The Desire did get a very quick update to Froyo, but then as it's effectively a Nexus One that was an 'easy' one for them, still no Gingerbread, nor any official announcement that it's planned afaik?

And Desire HD obviously no Gingerbread there yet either, and the chances are over the next few days HTC will be announcing a new phone, almost definately on GB and that's just going to delay any possible upgrade to the DHD.

Probably a bit of off-topic-ness there, and I could be completely wrong with some of those I'm not exactly massively up to date on the official updates, least of all for non-Magic phones :p

So back to the phone, I'm very tempted to end my vodafone contract early and get one of these, unless HTC brings out a very impressive phone in competition

Not so much for their older mobiles, but more so for the newer ones.

Yup, agree with you there about the hero, it should have got an official update to 2.2 and for the 2.1 update at least they acknowledge that problem, by saying it was a mistake and that it won't happen again, where as Samsung use the excuse for all their mobiles that it's too old even though it's only been out for about 3-6 months :eek: and/or the hardware doesn't support it, again even though mobiles with lower specs have got the update (the 2.2 one) and plus the developing community have been able to make a fully functional 2.2 ROM.

On the subject of 2.3, the main reason why the mobiles haven't got the update yet apparently is due to the nexus S having a bug, where the mobile restarts after a while, so they wanted to fix that first before updating any others including the nexus 1 and apparently that has been fixed iirc, so we should start to see some of the current mobiles getting an update.

The desire HD will certainly get 2.3, I would be shocked if they didn't and if they didn't then I wouldn't consider HTC for android mobiles again either :p, also the desire Z should get 2.3 as well.

Also their are actually some rumours that the desire will get 2.3 :eek:, I find it hard to believe though since it is a year old now and with their new mobiles out and plus the new dual cores coming out as well, they won't want to update an old mobile and possibly effect sales of the desire HD etc.

Plus HTC mobiles always have the first fully working ROMs in the developing community at XDA due to HTC releasing their sources/drivers info etc. which makes it even easier and quicker to get fully functional ROMs, and also they are also usually the first to get the official updates much quicker than SE, Samsung (said the GS would get 2.2 [a proper version, not beta builds] at the start of September, didn't get it till like the middle of November or even later iirc. plus it was a very first poor attempt, took quite a few builds till they actually got it fully working iirc), granted though HTC had to release 1 or 2 minor fixes for the desire when it got 2.2 iirc.

Soldato
Galaxy S got 2.2 in November and 2.2.1 recently So I have no idea what the complaints are about concerning getting updates. Late but they have come.

Galaxy S will get 2.3 as well

Stop reading american blogs where their carriers have been holding the updates back.

Associate
OP
Galaxy S got 2.2 in November and 2.2.1 recently So I have no idea what the complaints are about concerning getting updates. Late but they have come.

Stop reading american blogs where their carriers have been holding the updates back.

My brother is with T-mobile and he was told he has to wait another 2 months before he gets-2.2 T-mobile bloat ware i guess. My HTC with voda has the update. Didn't HTC tell Voda to stop messing with the updates?

Caporegime

Yup, I said that it got 2.2 in November, however it wasn't a very good build from what I remember and it took a few more updates in order to fix it, plus it was more the fact that Samsung kept saying that it was going to get the official update at the start of September before the desire got it and it got the update long before the GS in the end. Plus 2.2.1 was a pretty important update for some people in order to fix bugs/problems, which needed to be, not something they could just avoid like they do with their big android updates.

Lol, I very much doubt that it will get 2.3 now, maybe a few months back when the current mobiles where still pretty popular etc. but not a chance now considering all of the new dual cores coming out as well as the amount of new mobiles that Samsung have brought out (have a look at GSMARENA and see the amount of new mobiles that they have brought out since the GS, most of them are based on the android platform) it will get it through rooting and putting a custom ROM on, but not an official update and if it does, then I will be extremely surprised and I would consider their mobiles a bit more again.

Plus I am not just reading the American blogs, reading everything from every good android based site, which applies to everyone across the world i.e XDA, android forums, samdroid, forums like this etc. plus it has nothing to do with carriers (in most cases) cause if Samsung don't provide the update at all, then no one will get it, granted carriers do add to the delay with updates as they put their crap on etc. and some might not even provide the update, but I have never come across any that haven't especially for here, unless people are on some really crap unknown carrier that I have never heard off.

Also I am sure that if you simply type in google a number of things related to Samsung android updates you will see a huge majority of people complaining about the updates for nearly all of their mobiles, as well as there being a number of petitions and other things to try and get Samsung to improve there update procedure and actually provide the updates, across a large number of mobile based sites, the main ones being, android forums and XDA etc. Certainly a lot more complaints than HTC, Motorola.

Back
Top Bottom