**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah that's a damn shame. It's because of licensing I guess but all the more reason to once again import a HK/USA unit that's not only cheaper.... But with the better SoC. Considering they are going to sell the South Korean version in SK with SD865, that points to even Samsung knowing that Qualcomm have outdone them once again.

A good comparison between both SoCs by sammobile here: https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-exynos-990-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-865/

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah it's a shame. Once again those wanting the SD version over the Exynos will be going the importer route as per the S10 series. The likes of eGlobal and Wondamobile will be rubbing their hands with delight knowing that there will be a certain volume of orders coming from the UK.

Man of Honour
OP
Just noticed that the camera recorder supports 4k 120fps on both chipsets. Considering we don't even have 60fps 4k on the S10 or Note 10 series, that's quite substantial. I can't see anyone using 8K 30fps when you'll have all the bells and whistles at 4k 60 inc HDR, zoom, video effects etc etc. No doubt 8k 30fps will have limited features available just like how 4k 30fps has now. Will be nice if 8k 30 has all the features though. Just can't imagine how much storage space a few minutes of footage would take up!

Actually maybe hold off the imports for a bit...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...65-is-a-step-backwards-for-smartphone-design/

The gist of it is Qualcomm's practices and the West's stronghold on wanting to 5G everything. This means because both 4G and 5G radios are powered by a dedicated chip as opposed to the more efficient onboard modems on current chips, more power is consumed during data consumption.

How this translates to the new chips remains to be seen but you can bet the bigger batteries and more efficient CPUs/GPUs will offset against the higher radio drain on the Snapdragon chipset.

Essentially in the real world we could see both Exynos 990 and SD865 perform very similarly for battery life this time round.

I will be holding off any purchase (assuming I do upgrade( until some conclusive results are in comparing both.

Last edited:
Soldato
^Good find Robbie. You can always count on Ars Technica to shed light on the chipset differences.

I don't know about you but I value battery life and UI smoothness over everything else. I won't be in a rush to buy the S11 and will also hang back and see what transpires.

Our SD powered S10 phones are more than up to the task and will only get better when OneUI 2.0 update is released.

Man of Honour
OP
Same here, the battery life has remained unchanged on my S10e and it still powers through everything. My view is I'll only upgrade to an S11 if the camera improvements are significant. Nobody has any idea yet since the main camera gubbins are all new this time round and exclusive to Samsung so I'll be looking forward to Feb 20th for the announcement.

Man of Honour
OP
Oops I seem to have forgotten about it hah. What I should have said was if using 4k60, then you are limited to what features are available. You can't even select the ultra wide lens either at that framerate.

Associate
The S10e for me at least has been a superb phone and plan on keeping it well into next year.
If the S11e offers a lot more for around the same price the S10e launched at, then i may pick one up late next Summer when the deals kick in.
I managed to pick up the S10e just under £500 last August.

Back
Top Bottom