**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Think given the announcement is a mere 9 weeks away a thread is warranted, plus with today's juicy camera news along with other news about the S11 in recent days...

The Samsung cat of leaks today posted that the camera sensor on the S11 will be a Samsung exclusive, this ties in with the rumour the other week that the 108MP camera will be a new gen 2 unlike the 108MP ISOCELL Bright HMX used in the Xiaomi Mi Note 10.

The Galaxy S11+ uses a 1 / 1.3-inch 108MP Samsung exclusive custom sensor, which is superior in quality to ISOCELL Bright HMX and has a high cost.
Via Twitter

We also know some other details about the S11+, it will have
- 120Hz display
- 5000mAh battery
- 45W fast charging (adapter likely sold separate as 25W adapter bundled in the box which is also the standard fast charge rate of the S11 and S11e)
- Expecting 10W reverse wireless charging and up to 25W fast wireless charging too (no confirmations on this but... touch wood)
- 8K 30fps / 4K 120fps
- Snapdragon 865 in combo with this new sensor (Exynos unknown since Samsung recently cut their losses with their custom chip division doing poorly)
- 5x optical periscope zoom lens

Comments on Reddit clarified some tech details about it:

For those wondering, this sensor will have a surface area that's ~3x larger than the sensors used in the iPhone 11, Pixel 4, and Note10. It's more than 1.5x larger than the Huawei Mate 30 Pro's sensor (which currently takes the best low light pictures).

Ice Universe also tweeted that the S11+ stands on its own turf and unlike previous S10/Note 10 etc, there are some very key differences.

S11+ is not the same as S11. If S10 is similar to S10+, or Note10 is similar to Note10+, then I can say that S11+ is not similar to S11, and there are some obvious differences.

This is clearly pointing to the S11e and S11 using Samsung's new 64MP sensor whilst the S11+ uses the exclusive 108MP one. This is a shame as not everyone wants a massive phone, but if it lives up to these leaks, then maybe big arse phone is going to be in my pockets next year once again....

Not really worth posting any leaked images based on cad drawings just yet as Ice has stated the layout is wrong from all other leaks and that it looks very "beautiful" in fact. There is a case manufacturer image of their cases however which shows just how large the camera module is:

Xxz94JG.jpg

By all accounts, the S11+ will be monstrously expensive and I wouldn't be surprised if it reached Galaxy Fold levels of pricing. The S11 and 11e should be far cheaper however with /just/ the 64MP sensor inside and an Exynos.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Didn't find the GS 10 series to be enough of an upgrade from the GS 8, hopefully the GS 11e will be this time. Still won't be paying more than £500 on a phone though!

Associate
I feel like the S10 was probably one of the biggest iterative updates in the series, excluding the camera that is.

I always feel skeptical about flagship phone rumours for some reason. I mean, it's not difficult to predict what will be in a flagship when we know what flagship soc it will have, and what that soc supports. Other things like battery size, camera layout, screen size and shape, I must've seen 3 or 4 different rumours or leaks for each.

Maybe I'm just tired of all the clickbait articles and videos claiming they know best.

Soldato
Their optical zoom game has been lacking so this should be the generation where they catch up.

Dinosaurs like me will be sad because I'm very certain they will be cutting headphone jack from this.

Caporegime
Glad I saw this, was just about to start up a new thread. Thanks mrk. We saw a report of a supposed 5000+ mAh battery, a new one today suggests 4500.

Good news but I presume it's needed with a high refresh rate screen and coupled with the Exynos - I going to go out on a limb that the battery could be good but will likely be OK (if my Note 9 is anything to go by) :p.

Associate
Yeah, adding high refresh will be a real battery killer. I just really hope the screen stays as bright and colourful as the S10's and they don't make any sacrifices for smoothness.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
The screens are all new tech and every year Samsung screens win the best screen award on the usual tech sites etc so nothing changes here really.

The battery is indeed 5000mAh for the +, 4500 for the S11 and 3900 for the S11e which is rather nice all round if you ask me!¬

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Are people really still missing the notification led?

Nope. And TBH in 2019 I personally consider it completely unnecessary. What I do have is whenever the phone is on my desks it's sitting on the charging pad, so have Bixby Routines set to turn on AOD when it's charging. That way I can see notifications if I want. At no other time is there a need to see a notification of any sort as it's either in my pocket or I'm using it so will see the status bar anyway.

Soldato
AOD doesnt pulsing ?

i have LED notification on my p20 pro so i heavily rely on it as im 100% deaf. i tried the AOD couple of times and it doesnt pulse at all. i missed many incoming messages by not looking at the phone long enough. so i returned to LED notification so i can tell if there is a incoming message within 1 second from somce distance (few meters). With AOD i have to walk to and look down to the screen directly which is pain in the ass

you may be moving on from led notification. thats because you can 'hear' the incoming messages so you are aware of it.

we deaf people cant. there is a lot talks within deaf communities. deaf clubs, deaf forums. all deaf people suffer the samething we miss incoming message by the lack of a proper led notification.

Associate
I don't even use the AOD and I don't seem to miss it. With lift to wake etc, the screen usually turns on when you look at it anyway.

Interesting point you make about being deaf. My phone spends 99% of its time on silent, so don't even rely on auditory cues.

Is your phone used for work where responses are time critical?

Soldato
i use it for both pleasure and work. but i get whatsapp messages all the time. i like to leave the phone on the table next to the sofa while watching the telly. so led notification is great for that.

Associate
If my phone is ever on a flat surface I guess I'm used to just tapping the screen once to check. Maybe if I wasn't always hands free or my phone was out of reach it'd be more useful.

But I suppose isn't that what AoD is for? It uses more battery than an led if you only care about notifications I guess.

Soldato
With the state of my battery on the S10e I turn AoD and other stuff off but it's not a huge thing anymore.

Was nice to have on my S7 Edge where it would light up yellow for Snapchat, green for Whatsapp, blue for Facebook, etc

With these "infinity" screens though there just isn't really space for them in today's designs.

Soldato
AOD doesnt pulsing ?

i have LED notification on my p20 pro so i heavily rely on it as im 100% deaf. i tried the AOD couple of times and it doesnt pulse at all. i missed many incoming messages by not looking at the phone long enough. so i returned to LED notification so i can tell if there is a incoming message within 1 second from somce distance (few meters). With AOD i have to walk to and look down to the screen directly which is pain in the ass

you may be moving on from led notification. thats because you can 'hear' the incoming messages so you are aware of it.

we deaf people cant. there is a lot talks within deaf communities. deaf clubs, deaf forums. all deaf people suffer the samething we miss incoming message by the lack of a proper led notification.
I appreciate your predicament but are you sure you have the AOD set to be always on? I read that the P20 Pro doesn't have it enabled by default. The idea of the AOD is that it IS always on so you see your notifications 24 hours a day - thus eliminating the need for the LED.

Soldato
I appreciate your predicament but are you sure you have the AOD set to be always on? I read that the P20 Pro doesn't have it enabled by default. The idea of the AOD is that it IS always on so you see your notifications 24 hours a day - thus eliminating the need for the LED.

hi yes i have enabled the AOD to stay on all the time. its the lack of pulsing.

anyway. sorry for derail the thread.

looking forward to the 108MP camera shots

Soldato
Ice Universe is the one to follow on Twitter, suggested Picaso is the code name for the S11. Been using the S10+ since launch and really liking it. Looking forward to the camera improvements.

I switched from Pixel 2XL to 10+ and to be honest wasn't blown away by the camera, but hoping should definitely be a big improvement with the S11.

Back
Top Bottom