**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S20 Family Thread ****

Associate
The phone arena battery test suggests that in 60hz it is the best battery life on the market but with 120hz it drops to just above average. Pretty significant.

that might not be release software on there not to mention they will release updates to maximise the battery they always do do to do with the battery and not to mention is this not there first 120hz screen so i suspect they will release a lot of updates making not only the battery better but also software. So i would take it with a pinch of salt atm.

Soldato
The phone arena battery test suggests that in 60hz it is the best battery life on the market but with 120hz it drops to just above average. Pretty significant.

And that was with a web browsing test iirc which was 120Hz for 100% of the time. In some situations during real world use (camera for one, presumably netflix et al), the S20 series drops to 60hz because the source won't benefit from higher refresh.

On a related point, I was always dismissive of putting a phone on charge to top up during the day - if it couldn't last the day, I thought it was a bad job. However, I stuck my Note 10+ on its 25W charger for about 5-6 minutes last night when I put my children to bed and the battery was up by 10 or 12%. I was very impressed.

Associate
A 90hz option would be nice to give you the balance, to be honest as long as it gets you through a normal day (subjective to use) it will be fine.

I do travel a lot but always have a power pack if required.

Soldato
One of the updates supposedly coming is to 'intelligently' switch between 60 and 120. So that suggests that it's not doing it at the moment, and is locked to 120? If so, that should give a boost to battery performance.

@sw2000 - You can disable 5g if you're unlikely to use it. But I'm not sure if it burns through any battery if you're not actually within range of a 5g mast anyway.

Associate
Good to see, as long as it gets me through a normal day i.e. work email, browsing and a bit of music and YouTube I'm happy.

My main goal is a very good camera on it for capturing pictures of my kids , note 10+ with a good camera would be amazing p.s. not worried so much about the pen so this should fit nicely.

Caporegime
12 hours SoT is outrageous even on day 1. All I want from my next phone is to get at least 5/6 hours and me not spending more and more time turning things off to maintain some semblance of 'normality'.

Soldato
12 hours SoT is outrageous even on day 1. All I want from my next phone is to get at least 5/6 hours and me not spending more and more time turning things off to maintain some semblance of 'normality'.

The ultra wont get 12 hours SoT in normal use unless it's spent on the Kindle app or something. However I'm sure it'll hit 8 hours for many people, which is good enough. Whether or not it will reach those heights at 120hz is another thing.

Associate

TBH i do not think reviewers should be doing reviews yet. the review samples are not using the same firmware as the retials from what i can gather. and nto to mention ther eis already a camera update ready, it has already been pushed out to the flip phone (according to sakitechs youtube vid) as i keep saying people need to take these "early reviews" with a pinch of salt. and comparing the s20 line whit the iphone 11 is not really fair hasn`t there been updates to the iphone software since it has launched or am i incorrect?
The way i understand this the people who prefer the apple eco system will just stick with there iphones which is fine. and those who prefer android will stick with there samsungs ect ect. both have pros and cons. and again i have to say the s20 line will get quite a few updates.
Just my £2
EDIT:the first camera update is in one ui 2.1

Last edited:
Permabanned
Does look good. I think it shows the sensor and lens system is top notch and it will be the software tweaks Samsung can make that will make the difference.

At least the hardware is there.

Soldato
A colleague got his case today. My word this thing is a beast judging by the size of the case. It was nice to compare it to my S9 also realising more of the display is actual screen as well.
I held a ultra in hand the other day and i found it not bad at all i was pleasantly surprised (Coming from a S8+)

They are in most phone shops now but failing that if you can get your hands on a S10 5g or Note 10 +, they are for all intents and purposes the same size as an Ultra

Associate
TBH i do not think reviewers should be doing reviews yet. the review samples are not using the same firmware as the retials from what i can gather. and nto to mention ther eis already a camera update ready, it has already been pushed out to the flip phone (according to sakitechs youtube vid) as i keep saying people need to take these "early reviews" with a pinch of salt. and comparing the s20 line whit the iphone 11 is not really fair hasn`t there been updates to the iphone software since it has launched or am i incorrect?
The way i understand this the people who prefer the apple eco system will just stick with there iphones which is fine. and those who prefer android will stick with there samsungs ect ect. both have pros and cons. and again i have to say the s20 line will get quite a few updates.
Just my £2
EDIT:the first camera update is in one ui 2.1
Why should they not?
This is the software the phones are being shipped to reviewers with, and Samsung are allowing them to do these comparisons.

They’re collating content for their upcoming reviews, I don’t see a problem with them showing camera sample.

I wouldn’t expect a drastic difference to what you’re seeing come release.

Seen a number of reviewers say the focusing on the Ultra is poor
https://twitter.com/journeydan/status/1232153545169932288?s=21

Last edited:
Caporegime
After reading a ton of reviews I really think that the S20 is worth skipping IF you already own an S10. Not only is the price astronomical even for the "basic" S20, but the fact that 5G is still offered as an additional extra model to milk even more money out of consumers really irks me.

I will buy an S30 when 5G is standard in all models and even then a few months after release when the prices reduce, like always, by 20-30%.

Buying a new phone on release really is a mugs game nowadays.

Soldato
After reading a ton of reviews I really think that the S20 is worth skipping IF you already own an S10. Not only is the price astronomical even for the "basic" S20, but the fact that 5G is still offered as an additional extra model to milk even more money out of consumers really irks me.

I will buy an S30 when 5G is standard in all models and even then a few months after release when the prices reduce, like always, by 20-30%.

Buying a new phone on release really is a mugs game nowadays.

I agree with almost everything you've said, but you can get £100 cashback on the S20 (or could the other day), plus you can get another £100 off by trading in an iPhone 4 you can pick up from CEX for only a few quid, all of which brings it to a more agreeable price. While the omission of 5G on the base model S20 is exceptionally tight and while it's also a bummer that the base S20 has no free buds, I happen to think it's quite a good offering for people who want a flagship phone that won't require a massive elasticated pocket to carry it around. Great specs, 120hz worth of absolutely top-notch screen and a camera that'll be up there with the best (if not the absolute best). The base S20 should last the right customer a decent amount of time.

Associate
Was contemplating cancelling my preorder, I then noticed they've charged my account now so I may as well stick with it and see how good it will be, also had my case turn up from Amazon. No real difference to the Note 10+ apart from a little higher. I went for the iBetter case from the large online forest shop, was brilliant and slim fitting on my Note 10+ so went for it again.

Having used my One Plus 7 pro for two weeks after packing up my Note 10+ ready to sell I'm missing it now. Lots of little bugs on the OP7 Pro are starting to annoy and the battery life has gotten really bad with the latest updates (on beta), I will keep it as my back up phone when the s20 arrives

Managed to also get 87 cashback from Quidco when I preordered.

Hopefully this will fix the one thing that really annoyed me about the Note 10+, the really bad quality photos in anything less then perfect light.

Back
Top Bottom