**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Soldato
So I've spent a couple of hours setting the phone up etc.. And I think we are all good :D
The phone does actually feel flagship, build quality, feel, screen and performance.
My past few Samsungs phones have been: S21Ultra (loved it, but not a Note), Note 20 Ultra (didn't like it), Note 9 (loved it). And so on.

Its obviously early days, but tomorrow will be a better test as I take it to work and put it through its paces, and see how well it handles my work app, multiple Bluetooth connections, Android Auto, Navigation, Music streaming etc.. Through the day.

The screen is excellent, I think Samsung have gone for a more natural image this time round. Even on vivid it doesn't 'pop' like past screens.
The camera looks to be just as good as the S21Ultra's, I'll have to see with time how good it is.

Setup has shown no crashes or lockups, it all went straight forward. Time will tell :)

Now I couldn't help myself, and I installed GeekBench. I ran it after setting the phone up, without even a reboot. The score wasnt the best at all. So I did the March update and ran the test again, and the result was much better.

All in all I'm very happy with the phone, and hopefully tomorrow the GPS will hold up through the day and so will the calls.

8Vc6PuF.jpeg

Associate
I can get the s22 ultra for around £50 with Apple Music, unlimited data, calls and txts along with the earbuds. Is it worth paying a bit more to get extra ram and storage?

Check your current phone and see how much storage you have used. with mine I have used 88gb out of 256gb so I'm pretty sure that the S22 Ultra 256GB storage will be ample for me but others may use much more than that, not sure how much the extra 4gb memory impacts the phone but if you can afford it, why not!

So I've spent a couple of hours setting the phone up etc.. And I think we are all good :D
The phone does actually feel flagship, build quality, feel, screen and performance.
My past few Samsungs phones have been: S21Ultra (loved it, but not a Note), Note 20 Ultra (didn't like it), Note 9 (loved it). And so on.

Its obviously early days, but tomorrow will be a better test as I take it to work and put it through its paces, and see how well it handles my work app, multiple Bluetooth connections, Android Auto, Navigation, Music streaming etc.. Through the day.

The screen is excellent, I think Samsung have gone for a more natural image this time round. Even on vivid it doesn't 'pop' like past screens.
The camera looks to be just as good as the S21Ultra's, I'll have to see with time how good it is.

Setup has shown no crashes or lockups, it all went straight forward. Time will tell :)

Now I couldn't help myself, and I installed GeekBench. I ran it after setting the phone up, without even a reboot. The score wasnt the best at all. So I did the March update and ran the test again, and the result was much better.

All in all I'm very happy with the phone, and hopefully tomorrow the GPS will hold up through the day and so will the calls.

8Vc6PuF.jpeg

Nice to see the set up went ok, report back tomorrow with your findings :)

Associate
Unless you living the beach life with constant exposure to sand, never had a problem with a quality case and any abrasive damage but certainly can happen with cheap ones.

Best ditch the Spigen and Ringke cases I've always used then!

Seriously, it's probably more a fact of the frequency I take the phone out of the case to clean it and the case. Initally it'll start well but as the months draw on I'll forget to do it until a moment I happen to look around the phone and see all the dust accumulating around the edges etc.

Anyway no progress on my order :( Still says arrives on 17/03 and is at the Headed to your country step.

Associate
Best ditch the Spigen and Ringke cases I've always used then!

Seriously, it's probably more a fact of the frequency I take the phone out of the case to clean it and the case. Initally it'll start well but as the months draw on I'll forget to do it until a moment I happen to look around the phone and see all the dust accumulating around the edges etc.

Anyway no progress on my order :( Still says arrives on 17/03 and is at the Headed to your country step.

I bought the Protective standing cover from Samsung shop at the same time I ordered the phone, I'm not sure what the return period is for case returns but I bet it's less than the 5 weeks I have been waiting for the phone!

Associate
:cry::cry: It really is bad! The hype is wearing off for me a little now, and my Pixel 6 Pro to be honest has given me no trouble at all! I can't fault it! I've "only" been waiting 4 weeks so far...

That case and the one without the flipout bit were out of stock when I ordered sadly, but I would have likely ordered one if they were!

Associate
Returned my S22 from CPW, and the buds turned up yesterday. Sent email to Samsung support and received the reply below. Let's see if they get in touch to arrange return.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you are returning your product.

We have raised this with the relevant department for them to provide the instructions to return your reward.

Thank you for your cooperation.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Associate
At last - my phone has switched to Preparing to be dispatched and the DPD tracking number has been added - fingers crossed for tomorrow then :D

Going to order the Spigen Cryo case - it's a bit more expensive but I really like the look and maybe it has something functional in the thermals as well :p Normally go for the Neo Hybrid but the S22 Version has had some poor reviews for quality.

EDIT: Hmmm not sure on the Cryo case now - seems to be complaints of dust getting in the holes of the case plus few reports of the mic having issues. Also not keen on so much of the camera space being open - plenty of risk of the phone getting scratched...Neo Hybrid of Parallax case?

I've got the Neo Hybrid for S22 Ultra and the quality is good (although I wish it were a bit gripper). I have the black now and it looks great, but made the mistake of getting the "burgundy" first to add a splash of colour to my black phone, and the colour is a minging shade of purple. Avoid that one.

The Neo Hybrid does feel a bit safer than the Spigen Air, the trade off being a touch more bulk.

Associate
I don't game on my phones but I do use the productivity features, GOS to me seems like power/battery efficiency which can be a plus so I'll be leaving it as it is because more power = more heat = more throttling.

Associate
Check your current phone and see how much storage you have used. with mine I have used 88gb out of 256gb so I'm pretty sure that the S22 Ultra 256GB storage will be ample for me but others may use much more than that, not sure how much the extra 4gb memory impacts the phone but if you can afford it, why not!

Nice to see the set up went ok, report back tomorrow with your findings :)

i think I have only used around 70% of my 128gb storage and most of it is rubbish I can delete even more lol. I think i will upgrade today as EE are offering me around £330 despite screen being cracked. I would have to pay around £50 to have the phone sim free and SIM card so EE charging me around £54 isn’t much more. I could just stay as I am and pay £20 for SIM keep my s20 plus but the cracks on screen will get worse an
have to be careful with the charging port as if I knock the lead it will stop charging also it’s not even £10 a week as I’m paying £20 just for the sim only

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've noticed that no dust gathers around the camera lens on the Graphite colour unlike every review that has mentioned dust on the black version. Are the other non exclusive colours similar that aren't black? Either way, quite nice.

Edit*
Over a week in now and as mentioned, just a screen protector from Tauri - Quite impressed having never stuck with screen protectors before as I don't really like how your finger rubs against the edge as you swipe from the ends of the screen etc but is what it is. Because it's a soft film (though 100% clear so no clarity compromise) it heals itself when scratched which is kinda cool.

The frame has no scratches either and I've been sliding it around in my car's wireless charging bay as well as wireless pad on desktop etc. It's been out in the elements and been washed too. I think the matte black frame will hold up just fine long term really.

2022.03.17_0843-10_00013.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-39_00010.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-55_00011.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-09_00007.jpg

2022.03.17_0841-42_00004.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Returned my S22 from CPW, and the buds turned up yesterday. Sent email to Samsung support and received the reply below. Let's see if they get in touch to arrange return.

Which email address did you use for Samsung support please? I'm in the same situation although for me I ordered directly from Samsung!

Associate

Rub it in why don't ya!

That colour looks beautiful! I'd have been happy with graphite but I ordered red, and at this point I'd likely end up having to wait even longer if I cancelled and reordered another colour!

I even considered getting one from Three through a third party, but factoring in the hike in April and the hike next year I'll be paying almost 10% more from next month and who knows how much more from next April!

Going to have to continue checking my order every day hoping for progression, and stick to a SIM on a network which doesn't hike prices yearly!

Also show us your desktop!

(Deal I was looking at was something like £465 up front with £40 a month for unlimited, but next month it'd go up by almost £4, so £48 a year more! Plus next year's hike too...!)

Caporegime
I've noticed that no dust gathers around the camera lens on the Graphite colour unlike every review that has mentioned dust on the black version. Are the other non exclusive colours similar that aren't black? Either way, quite nice.

Edit*
Over a week in now and as mentioned, just a screen protector from Tauri - Quite impressed having never stuck with screen protectors before as I don't really like how your finger rubs against the edge as you swipe from the ends of the screen etc but is what it is. Because it's a soft film (though 100% clear so no clarity compromise) it heals itself when scratched which is kinda cool.

The frame has no scratches either and I've been sliding it around in my car's wireless charging bay as well as wireless pad on desktop etc. It's been out in the elements and been washed too. I think the matte black frame will hold up just fine long term really.

2022.03.17_0843-10_00013.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-39_00010.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-55_00011.jpg

2022.03.17_0842-09_00007.jpg

2022.03.17_0841-42_00004.jpg

What icon set are you using?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's fair! you gotta go for a package that works for you really. Had I checked out the exclusives just a day or so later then the trade in values would have been much lower and I'd have just gone for a normal colour. Just luck with timing and not knowing what was about to happen a day later from Samsung.

The homescreen layout hasn't changed much really, I will update! I think although

What icon set are you using?

Lines and LineX White on the Play Store. The bottom icons are for Google Search and Nova App/System search which are part of the search bar (with full transparency and monochrome enabled so they are white and then moved to the dock).

Associate
Rub it in why don't ya!

That colour looks beautiful! I'd have been happy with graphite but I ordered red, and at this point I'd likely end up having to wait even longer if I cancelled and reordered another colour!

I even considered getting one from Three through a third party, but factoring in the hike in April and the hike next year I'll be paying almost 10% more from next month and who knows how much more from next April!

Going to have to continue checking my order every day hoping for progression, and stick to a SIM on a network which doesn't hike prices yearly!

Also show us your desktop!

(Deal I was looking at was something like £465 up front with £40 a month for unlimited, but next month it'd go up by almost £4, so £48 a year more! Plus next year's hike too...!)
I'd be happy with any colour right now lol. Seriously though I spoke to CS earlier to find out any info and as usual it's 'we don't know but keep an eye on your email' so I put to them changing to a colour that was in stock (namely white) they said I'd lose my pre order gifts, trade in bonus and they couldn't guarantee I'd get it soon (even though its in stock on their website)
Wow this is turning out to be a right shambles.

APW

APW

Associate
I'd be happy with any colour right now lol. Seriously though I spoke to CS earlier to find out any info and as usual it's 'we don't know but keep an eye on your email' so I put to them changing to a colour that was in stock (namely white) they said I'd lose my pre order gifts, trade in bonus and they couldn't guarantee I'd get it soon (even though its in stock on their website)
Wow this is turning out to be a right shambles.

Yep, I had same thought and spoke to EE to see if they got a decent deal and have them in stock but they said they can't guarantee that I will get it in less than 1 month from ordering as they have 0 stock of any colour and no update from Samsung - they're waiting as well.

Back
Top Bottom