**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Associate
I have ordered with EE. I got 20% off so getting 256GB phone with ear buds, Disney and ot the trade in price but get to keep my old phone. I’m not sure if I will fix the screen or not but I got it for £63 a month. I went with burgundy

i didn’t realise the screen was nearly an inch bigger than s20 plus and lots of other tweaks too. Not sure when I will get it though because of the chip shortage

Soldato
Anyone zoomed into the moon tonight? Clear skies and full moon :cool:

https://i.imgur.com/vBjK3Mm.mp4

100x zoom, One Moon :D

Bb24tTZ.jpeg

You've already posted pictures of the best colour (Graphite) S22Ultra :D So I wont add any of mine, but here is a couple of the Spigen Liquid Air case that totally hides the lovely Graphite colour!

Nice camera lens protection:
cvZl09E.jpeg

Bottom end and EGV TPU screen protector.

Rs9IeBX.jpeg

After a full day of testing, using lots of GPS and Navigation through Android Auto, 5G, multiple simultaneous Bluetooth, media streaming, running my work app etc.. The S22 Ultra has flown through the day without any hiccups. Its Maintained excellent speed and I even threw a couple of Geekbench tests at it with lots of background apps still in memory and it scored just as high as it did previously.
Definitely a keeper phone for me, Disney+ has been claimed with no issue, and I got a text earlier to say The Buds claim has been approved also, happy days :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If I was into cases, that case would be ideal in terms of protection :D

With zooms above 30x I have found that there's a trick to it. Don't let the camera auto focus on the subject but tap the screen on where to focus and let it lock, then tap the padlock (or long press the subject to do the same thing) - I've realised this now so in future will keep in mind as even 70x+ shots can get much sharper as a result. Hopefully they refine AF at high zooms, because the laser AF ain't reaching the moon that's for sure!

@mrk hows the “shutter lag” on the camera? I’ve seen it mentioned a lot that Samsung prioritise a slow shutter speed which means any movement in a photo blurs.

In very low light there is a moment's delay but that's because it's using a slower shutter speed. I breathe in just before pressing so am as steady as possible, though there is 4-axis of OIS to help things along too. Samsung fixed the shutter press delay for normal light etc in the recent update btw.

Last edited:
Associate
I have ordered with EE. I got 20% off so getting 256GB phone with ear buds, Disney and ot the trade in price but get to keep my old phone. I’m not sure if I will fix the screen or not but I got it for £63 a month. I went with burgundy

£63 is fair chunk of change even with 20% off! I've seen "after the 27th March" for avoiding this year's price increases, so with any luck you'll avoid this year's 9.3% else you'd be paying £68.86 a month!

These huge increases this year are why I decided to buy the handset from Samsung, I got 10% off and paid £165 to bring the monthly down to just under £40 for 24 months, and will then suppliment it with a SIMO from a supplier that doesn't increase prices, perhaps Smarty, currently doing unlimited for £16 a month. I don't really need unlimited, but when my Deck arrives I'll probably be tethering it to my phone when at work and off WiFi!

Associate
£63 is fair chunk of change even with 20% off! I've seen "after the 27th March" for avoiding this year's price increases, so with any luck you'll avoid this year's 9.3% else you'd be paying £68.86 a month!

These huge increases this year are why I decided to buy the handset from Samsung, I got 10% off and paid £165 to bring the monthly down to just under £40 for 24 months, and will then suppliment it with a SIMO from a supplier that doesn't increase prices, perhaps Smarty, currently doing unlimited for £16 a month. I don't really need unlimited, but when my Deck arrives I'll probably be tethering it to my phone when at work and off WiFi!

my screen on my s20 plus is cracked well hairline crack started with one but now have around 5 hairline cracks and can slightly feel it with my finger nail and can pick at the crack but it won’t fit my finger and seems to have spread.
It’s not that much noticeable when there is txt on screen but I think it will get worse as more cracks have appeared but as I say can’t notice it too much when txt is on screen especially if back ground is dark
My charging port I have to be careful not to knock the lead as it will stop charging and have to push in harder than I used to. These reasons along with the price hike are the reasons I decided to order the s22 ultra now.

I have to pay £20 for sim so I’m paying an extra £44.80 for a phone with 256GB which means phone cost £1,075 and get wireless bids, Disney plus and still get to keep old phone which I can give to family member or fix screen and sell phone. If screen and charging port were ok I don’t think I would have upgraded just yet.

I do like the s8 ultra tablet especially as I have iPad Air 2 7 years old and will hopefully get one in the summer of when there is a sale on but not seen anyone mention the tablet on this forum.

i am on Samsung upgrade scheme but would have to replace screen and send it back to Samsung if I want the s22 ultra. I did this at the time because going with Samsung and getting a sim only was a lot cheaper than contract but Samsung charge around £35 a month and sim is £20 but as you say will be going up so contract is not as expensive as it used to be in this instance

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone know if any high Street store has them sim free in stock? Or is there a waiting list at the moment?

I was in Sammy experience store last week and over heard 3-4 week waiting that was @ trafford centre might be worth calling the experience store CS tho and asking as they are separate from the online store.

Soldato
My Graphite 512GB has just arrived - love the colour and don't regret waiting one little bit!

Just charging now with a 45w genuine Samsung charger ready for the mass of updates and data transfer process. A friend kindly gave me FOC as he's an Apple fan so has no use for it (his friend works at Samsung hence him getting it).

Parallax case is really nice and a great fit - the Tauri screen protector I think I'll end up taking off when something better comes along - like @mrk experienced, it doesn't leave an overly nice feel on the screen and feels like there's glue on the screen - the original screen protector on the S10+ that came pre-fitted was much better - shame as the process to fit was really good.

Associate
Yikes, I'm waiting for the email about the screen burn on mine :(
Just had an email saying my trade in is complete :D

I'm quite surprised as I thought the screen burn was quite noticeable and judging by other comments they seem to be quite picky. Not complaining though!

Soldato
I had my first GPS hiccup today, with zero gps location found. I downloaded GPSToolbox to check on the satellite status, and there were none found!

A quick off/on toggle of location from the drop down quick menu, instantly brought back 20+ satellites. So I'm thinking there is some software bug that doesnt wake up the gps chip 100% of the time.
There is a lot of discussion over on the Samsung forums, and apparently they are aware of it and a fix is in the works. For me it has worked 99% of the time (and I use gps a lot) so its not a deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. I'll just wait for the fix to come from Samsung.

In other news :)

The rest of the phone is just fantastic, its so quick! And the screen is superb, although I have had to adjust the display settings to get it looking right.
In the past recent years I've owned a few mobiles, (Note 20 Ultra, Experia 5II, S21Ultra ) and yet my old Note 9 has had the display to beat. Its display is just so colourful, without being garish. Can do deep blacks, and stunning whites. So I sat the Note 9 next to the S22 Ultra, and tweaked the display adjustments until the S22 Ultra looked the same as the Note 9. And I'm very happy with the results :D
Your mileage/view may vary but this is what I use:
uaFHal9.jpeg QE1A9QA.jpeg

I used the trade in offer when I ordered the S22 Ultra, so I've got to box up my Note 9 and send it off this weekend. I'll be sad to see it go, its been one of the best phones I've owned. :(

Soldato
Natural is super accurate and is what I recommend everyone use. It's sRGB calibrated and it's what android and the Web is calibrated to.

That's 1 thing I commend Apple on, not letting anyone mess with calibrated display settings.

Like if you shop online for clothes or whatever you'll miss out on the true colour of the item etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yup used Natural on the S20, using Natural now. Just looks right to my eyes. Also Expert RAW app update today with a changelog that adds some quality improvements.

Associate
Anyone had any problems with amfilm film protector shrinking? I seem to have lost a bit from the top and bottom. Don't know if it's from heat or something else but both have done it now from the 2 pack

Soldato
Received my white 22 Ultra yesterday, ran through the smart switch from my GN10+ and its been flawless, the cameras are head and shoulders better than my previous note 10+ (tested zoom on my monitor and seeing the rgb segments of the pixels so sharply is fantastic and am going to try a few different shots when i'm out playing golf tomorrow and see how they look, will wait and see how battery life etc goes too but very impressed so far in the areas I have used. I bought another Spigen Tough Armour case as i've been using them for previous models and never suffered any damage.

Soldato
Been with the S20 FE for ages now, I lost interest in upgrading phones when the prices started to get absurd. I got the FE on a really good deal at the time and it does the job just fine. It was actually nice to go back to a flat screen.

Fast fwd to this week and I've just been offered the following from EE:

S22 Ultra 256GB model

Deal 1 - £49.70 a month, £30 upfront, 100GB data
Deal 2 - £46.90 a month, £50 upfront, 40GB data
Deal 3 - £45.50 a month, £100 upfront, 10GB data

Now the data isn't such a big deal as I have more than one line with EE (mum, dad, wife etc) and I can data share, my line has unlimited data anyway. The above does not involve any trade-in so I can sell my FE on and recoup some money that way. I have had several variants of the Note series and they were always my favourite phones, Note 4 stands out in particular so I am quite tempted to go back to the S22 Ultra/Note - the other models don't interest me. Are the deals too good to refuse? I have spent zero time looking online as I wasn't really interested in upgrading but then got offered ^ and it seems like a good deal to me??

Back
Top Bottom