**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Soldato
have you tried it? Give it a go and see if you still have GPS after 24 hours of uptime

I found the setting this morning and have turned it on. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the GPS issue. (And I use location daily) So I've no way of telling if it is related.
I've owned the S22 Ultra nearly 2 weeks, and there has only been one occasion the GPS came back with no satellites.

Associate
Well today was supposed to be my day of delivery, it has not happened, woke up to another delay, looks like the 2wk auto push back mentioned by another poster, very disappointing, whilst I am not an impatient man, I am also not a fan of a completely automatic response with no real hint of when it could arrive or the reasons behind it, they should have their supply chain and production more controlled than this, you should know what your are building and when it is going to be shipped or don't accept the order.

I'm out, I didn't need a new phone anyway, just fancied it, though annoying as I did buy cases for it :rolleyes:

Associate
I found the setting this morning and have turned it on. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the GPS issue. (And I use location daily) So I've no way of telling if it is related.
I've owned the S22 Ultra nearly 2 weeks, and there has only been one occasion the GPS came back with no satellites.

I don't think that toggle will do anything as that setting is forced on in the GPS test app which currently for me is finding no satellites despite me sitting in my car.

I don't like seeing that some people don't really have the issue but other people do. It makes it seem as though it's not a software issue but the fact that you've lost GPS even once proves that you have to have experienced it too, even if only once.

There is probably some certain use-case or sit in software installation or usage pattern which is causing this to happen. Samsung have supposedly acknowledge the issue and a fix is in the works but I still feel it's a bit sketchy and I don't want to be stuck with a phone without GPS working long term.

Soldato
I'm really no expert at diagnosing this sort of issue, but it looks to be software and not hardware, as the problem isn't there on a reboot.
The hardware remains constant, it's the software that re-initializes. So surely it's the software doing something it shouldn't and can't recover until a reboot is done?

If mine was a hardware fault, then it's doing a really good job of hiding itself :D

Even now in the house, it locks onto 32/50 satellites, all within a few seconds.

I'm wondering if the fact I use location quite often stops the fault happening :confused:

Associate
How do I find how many satellites my phone has found? I drove from my girlfriend yesterday which is around 50 mins drive 30 miles and didn't lose connection once
You guys using the launcher it came with or you using other launchers? I used to always use nova 7 and candycons but thought would give the launcher it comes with a try but think I will download SwiftKey for typing

Associate
Install the GPS Status app from the Play Store. It'll show you :)

I'm using Nova Launcher prime at the moment as I like a clean home screen and being able to have folders only show the first app icon etc.

I'd love to be able to use a stock launcher on a phone as the animations when going home or when you open apps are so much nicer, as they match what you're doing (like the window shrinks into the app icon).

Battery isn't doing as well on my phone today, forecasting 5 hours based on usage Vs what's left. Yesterday it was more like 7 hours, but I've used Google Duo a bit today, and of course video calling is quite a battery drain!

Man of Honour
Have you tried turning off the GNSS power saving feature in developer options?
It's part of the GPS satellite tracking system, and by default Android power cycles this so it's barely enabled for a second each time. I'm wondering if the GPS issue is tied to this power cycling?
Just a thought.

Is that called "Force full GNSS measurements"?

Tbh I don't use GPS more than once every few days so it's not a major issue other than the annoyance factor of having to reboot when I do need it. And the fact I have a flagship device with a fault, which is annoying on principle.

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to fix something that should just work.

But I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference. Cheers.

Soldato
Is that called "Force full GNSS measurements"?

Yeah that's the thing, I had to Google it to see what it was, and what is was for, as I'd not seen it before, just something you try :)

We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to fix something that should just work.

Totally agree, but it's still early days, and one of the wonderful things about Android is you'll never find one phone setup the same as another. Obviously in this case there is something in common, more and more often that is causing this GPS issue.

I've heard the S22 line has had record sales, with the Ultra sales higher than the other models, soaking up the demand for a Note model, that the S21 line missed.

So there is going to more instances of reported issues. Samsung can't ignore the noise people are making ;)

I know there are a few things to iron out, but I'm highly delighted with the S22 Ultra, no regrets in the slightest.

Associate
That charger does Super fast charging 2.0 100% i have one and can confirm it does,

That doesn't mean it supports 45 W charging though. SFC 2.0 is displayed for charge rates over 25 W (>2.5 A input), so the 3 A charge rate will trigger SFC 2.0 to be displayed, but it will be slightly slower than a higher current charger.

In reality the difference is fairly minimal as the S22 mostly charges in the 30-32 W range anyway. More of an issue with the tab S8.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Photos from London, mix of JPEG Photo mode and Expert RAW processed in Lightroom:

Very satisfied here with what is possible. Expert RAW stacks frames into a single DNG, so you get HDR all in one, takes a moment to process but you get really good dynamic range without any of the sharpening/processing of normal Photo mode.

Q4w12sy.jpg

6JaPucn.jpg

RYz1lLB.jpg

VCk0IPF.jpg

14nVhho.jpg

00vByxy.jpg

8umMn12.jpg

Associate
Just been on phone to EE as I got a message stating my contract is £68.40 before tax for 24 months
I was told it shows £80 as doesn't show the 20% on the bill but I will be paying £64.80 and no price increase until march next year so I'm happy with that

Soldato
Stunning pics mrk, I'm more than happy with the camera but it's clearly a skill taking pictures like that, a skill I heavily lack.

Overall, I'm not 'blown away' by the s22 ultra but it's a decent upgrade from my s20 fe, the screen is stunning. I've not noticed any slow downs or lag, for general day to day use it's solid for my needs. When I initially set up the device, I do remember putting the resolution on highest and everything on 'max performance' and I am finding battery life average. I'm on 11% right now and left the house this morning at 8am on around 80%. I probably am using it more than usual due to it being new and I'm still setting up apps, trying themes etc so will see how it goes but that's the only small complaint I have so far.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Cheers, and yep it has been more of a sidegrade from the S20 5G in terms of "phone" - I'm not doing anything drastically different to what I had with the S20, but battery is lasting longer with a bigger screen, so there is that, and the camera is obviously a league ahead.

I guess it can be best described like this, I am not using my phone any different to before, I'm just enjoying the new lane of opportunity it is able to afford thanks to the better camera and longer battery life on a bigger screen. If I didn't get the cashback and trade-in deal that I did before Samsung slashed the trade in values right down, then I may well have just kept the S20.

In terms of issues, nothing major to note, I did experience a couple of lockscreen bugs randomly but they cannot be reproduced. The lockscreen just freezes for a minute or so and not even the power button can sleep the screen or change anything. Just leaving it be brings it back and a brief flash of an app force closing or freezing pops up then goes away so impossible to tell really what app that could have been. I have installed GSam Battery Monitor recently though so am wondering if it is related to that as have only seen that happen in the last week which seems a bit of a coincidence. I don't need Gsam running any more as know what the battery is like so will just uninstall tbh.

Back
Top Bottom