1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by CaptainComedy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Azrael1

Wise Guy

Hi there, yeah I am still waiting - according to various sources and daily chats with the amazon team. The delivery date is anytime from a week to middle of June - yes JUNE !

2. mrk

Man of Honour

Why not just cancel and order again through Samsung via Quidco/TCB for 3.15% cashback in the process?

3. azibux1

Mobster

Nice in a way to see it wasn't just me lol. Similar issue drove me mad on the first day I got the phone.

I kept getting TWO of the "it looks like you've swapped your handset... We're about to send you some settings....." messages after every phone call I received. Got annoying very quick. Especially as I didn't need the settings as my 4G etc was working fine.

I spoke with them on 191 and they blocked those specific messages from reaching my phone.

Give them a call :)

4. Azrael1

Wise Guy

Had vouchers to use and it was £720 for the plus and to be fair I am in no major rush

5. thecremeegg

Sgarrista

Ah thanks I'll call them!

6. xb8browney

Soldato

The dragon skin has arrived and it is beautiful.

7. azibux1

Mobster

Please post up some fitted pics when you get a moment :)

The S6 / S6 Edge's had a bit of a 'lip' between the metal edge and the glass back, so a dbrand skin could sort of go in that gap and wouldn't stick up at the edges. The S8 is much more flush to begin with so I wasn't sure how well a skin would fit and it if would spoil that smooth feel at the edge

So keen to see how yours fits :)

8. iMacMart

Capodecina

Pictures please :D

9. mrk

Man of Honour

10. Tauren

Capodecina

That cat collecting looks cool :D for an Easter egg !

11. mrk

Man of Honour

I missed one notification and the cat was gone by the time I clicked it :(

12. Tauren

Capodecina

So going by your screenshot there are up to 1000 to get ? :eek:

13. ntemples1

Wise Guy

Anyway to force the update to the latest version? I'm on a SIM free carphone warehouse s8+ still stuck on the previous firmware

14. J273

Wise Guy

Ive been out of the android game for a few years and loving my s8+. last android phone was a note 3.

With it being a few years I'm a bit out of touch. What are the must have apps and tweaks you guys install on a fresh install phone?

Im loving macrodroid at the minute and I've just installed ACR call recorder which is pretty neat.

Anything else I should be installing?

Ta

15. mrk

Man of Honour

Or more! Remember to put some food out after you collect a cat, as the quick toggle plate is empty otherwise!

16. PhoenixUK

Mobster

Strange, sure you're not on AQDG already? I have COW one too and it downloaded the update straight out of the box after connecting to Wi-Fi. Does it not show up if you go to check for updates?

17. Tauren

Capodecina

If I had an android phone, I would. :(

18. zoomee

Soldato

So I've got a standard samsung charger and cable and also an Aukey mutliple device charger with a fancy USB-c cable.

My first handset worked perfectly fine off both chargers and both cables.

This handset plays up every so often. I notice substantial battery drain today (100% 7AM - 3% left at 7PM) - and I hardly used the phone!

Anyways - when I plug in the USB-C cables sometimes the phone starts to continually beep (and flashing its charging) - That aint right!!!! At first it was to do with the orientation of the plug, for some reason it made a difference. Now it just does it when it feels like it. Once it starts I have to go to the other charger for it to start working. I've experienced this with both chargers so finding it hard to diagnose whats actually at fault here!

Back to samsung I go I guess unless anyones experienced anything similar?

Getting a bit sick of all this - might just return the phone for a full refund as they've never been able to supply me with completely fault free phone so far - two in row, don't think i'll risk a third.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  19. Mikoyan

Mobster

That is crazy especially for Amazon! :eek:

Pre order promise with Amazon was if the price fluctuates you will pay the lowest price. It stands currently as £722 so thats what ill be paying...but im not very patient :p

20. Smudge

Hitman

Quick mini review from someone who just swapped from ios! I do like to swap between IOS and andriod every couple of years though.

ive had an s8+ for almost week now, used for long work days including emails, our on call app, logmein, texts, calls, lots of driving so its on the car bluetooth etc. and a bit of surfing in the evening.

I came from an iphone 6 that i'd had for a couple of years and the battery was starting to show its age, so decided it was time for an upgrade.

New phone impressions, first thing, wow, that screen!!!! its amazing. Build quality is spot on. That gadget they put in the box you plug into the phone, then plug your old iphone into via its USB lead and the app pops up and transfers all your stuff over, slick! no computers needed, it even gave me a list off comparable google app store apps that i'd had installed on my iphone, total breeze to get where I was on the old phone.

ive had a few probs with the phone being in my pocket and it seems to launch apps even when its locked. Bluetooth seems flaky too, it struggles to re connect or even initially connect to my car when i get in. If I stream music via bluetooth to the car or my BT headphones in the gym it seems to fail a lot and I have to restart what ever app spotify / tunein radio etc) to get it going again. Anoying as hell!

Havent really looked into the edge menu thing yet, coming from an iphone, but been busy so when I get time ill see if its something i'll use.

I dont see the point in having that dedicated side button for that bixby(sp?) function at the moment. doesnt seem responsive anyway when you do press it and it just gets in the way! maybe its something ill learn to love when it works and I start trying it.

Headphones that came with it are a millions miles ahead of the Iphone ones.

Battery seems great. After a demanding 14 hour work day it still had 40+ percent with no additional charging. The Iphone 6 would have needed plugging in to the front of a PC or USB port in the car during the day to keep it alive.

Had the odd weird things crop up, for example the torch would turn itself on in my pocket or the button to fix it in portrait mode / toggle to auto rotate etc, would just change, basically any of the icons in that drop down menu. I'm not 100% sure why these problem are cropping up when I clearly lock the phone before it go's back in my pocket.

Iris scanner, what is this voodoo? I have never really bothered with security lock screens in the past as typing in a code or doing some special semifor swipe to check an email quickly wasnt my thing, too much hassle! This eye scanner though, sometimes it will get me to the home screen so fast it doesnt even display the scanner interface. This security im sold on. I wont go back to not having a lock screen now I have this option. It's the way forward when its so responsive.

I ordered a 2017 gear VR headset with the controller that should be here in a few days so will give another update then if anyone is interested!

Cheers,
    Matt.