**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

I couldn't see a thread yet. I'm due an upgrade soon and I expect I'll go for a Samsung again. Not seen one yet but the rumours sound good, the usual couple of models. It's being unveiled 25th of feb in an unpacked event. Camera improvements is all I have seen so far.

LjkZcGS.png

Samsung Galaxy S9 Specs
  • Display: 5.8-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:9 (570ppi)
  • Body: 147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm, 163g, IP68
  • Rear Camera: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor with OIS (F1.5/F2.4)
  • Front Camera: 8MP AF (F1.7)
  • Application Processor: 10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.8 GHz Quad + 1.7 GHz Quad)
  • Memory: 4GB RAM / 64GB + Micro SD Slot (up to 400 GB)
  • Battery: 3,000mAh
  • Charging: Fast Wired Charging compatible with QC 2.0 / Fast Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
  • Network: Enhanced 4X4 MIMO / CA, LAA, LTE Cat.18
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
  • Payment: NFC, MST
  • Sensors: Iris sensor, Pressure sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint sensor, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, HR sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
  • Authentication: Lock type: pattern, PIN, password
  • Biometric lock type: iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, face recognition
  • Intelligent Scan: biometric authentication with iris scanning and facial recognition
  • Audio: Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos enabled surround sound
  • Audio playback format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
  • Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
  • Virtual Reality: Gear VR with Controller (SM-R325NZVAXAR), Google Daydream View
Samsung Galaxy S9+ Specs
  • Display: 6.2-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:9 (529ppi)
  • Body: 158.1mm x 73.8mm x 8.5mm, 189g, IP68
  • Rear Camera: Dual Camera with Dual OIS / Wide-angle: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor (F1.5/F2.4), Telephoto: 12MP AF sensor (F2.4)
  • Front Camera: 8MP AF (F1.7)
  • Application Processor: 10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.8 GHz Quad + 1.7 GHz Quad)
  • Memory: 6GB RAM / 64GB + Micro SD Slot (up to 400 GB)
  • Battery: 3,500mAh
  • Charging: Fast Wired Charging compatible with QC 2.0 / Fast Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
  • Network: Enhanced 4X4 MIMO / CA, LAA, LTE Cat.18
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
  • Payment: NFC, MST
  • Sensors: Iris sensor, Pressure sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint sensor, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, HR sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
  • Authentication: Lock type: pattern, PIN, password
  • Biometric lock type: iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, face recognition
  • Intelligent Scan: biometric authentication with iris scanning and facial recognition
  • Audio: Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos enabled surround sound
  • Audio playback format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
  • Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
  • Virtual Reality: Gear VR with Controller (SM-R325NZVAXAR), Google Daydream View

Last edited:
Soldato
Only negative really with the S8 was the positioning of the fingerprint sensor. Don't really see what else they could change or improve on.

Soldato
Performance, refresh rate and resolution?

Better camera shots while under water?

Performance you can reasonably assume will improve.

refresh rate is super niche.. and resolution.. really?! I don't see why anyone would go after higher than for example the S8.

You can also reasonably assume the camera will be better but again, underwater? Bit niche!

Associate
Performance you can reasonably assume will improve.

refresh rate is super niche.. and resolution.. really?! I don't see why anyone would go after higher than for example the S8.

You can also reasonably assume the camera will be better but again, underwater? Bit niche!

Lets say you wanted to use this phone on a bigger screen. This is where is would come in handy, and yes phones aren't no where near as good as proper cameras when it comes to under water content

Soldato
Performance, refresh rate and resolution?

Better camera shots while under water?

It'll be the same old, the SoC gives longer battery, better games and same small camera improvements. We get that from every phone launch.

I'm talking about seeing changes in design, materials used and changes in button and camera lens positioning to make it stand out from the S8.

Hope it doesn't turn in to an iPhone release where most of the changes are internal.

Soldato
Loads of room for improvement in phones
- 5G
- Domestic Roaming
- Battery Life
- Unlimited tethering

5G - not launched yet, requires government and infrastructure roll out by the networks and nothing to do with samsung.
Domestic roaming - not available, requires the networks and likely government and nothing to do with samsung
Battery life - likely will improve, it always does
Unlimited tethering - all on the network side, nothing to stop them doing it right now and nothing to do with samsung

I think you need to understand what samsung is in control of here.

Permabanned
Condescending or what...
Of course I know those things.

It's absolutely true that they can tinker around the edges with slighty different cameras etc, and ultimately not sell very many phones.

I'm pointing out there's massive room for improvement, and if they can contribute to progress and achieve some of these things, then they can get basically everyone to buy a new phone.

Soldato
Condescending or what...
Of course I know those things.

It's absolutely true that they can tinker around the edges with slighty different cameras etc, and ultimately not sell very many phones.

I'm pointing out there's massive room for improvement, and if they can contribute to progress and achieve some of these things, then they can get basically everyone to buy a new phone.

Sorry not my intention..

Point is I am absolutely certain Samsung would.. if we launched 5G network they'd have a range ready day 1.. they already do dual sim versions of most things so I'm sure they'd do local roaming and I suspect they already pay networks to boost data bundles to make their handsets more appealing.

My point was just that once we've got something that is super fast, higher res than you can see and is all screen we run out of things to change in meaningful ways..

unfortunately we've largely plateaued which is leading to a market in decline and less useful innovation

Associate
One thing they could do to improve it is to improve their software: make it look good, remove bloated features nobody really wants, be as responsive as stock android, and not slow down noticeably after a number of months.

Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that even now, Samsung's software is its biggest Achilles heal. It has improved over the years, but it's still not polished.

Soldato
Still running my S7 which has pretty spot on really. Not a mark on it so should be able to sell for a bit. I think I'll wait to see if the S9 is any good as the only other phone that interests me is the Pixel 2 XL. Front facing speakers would be nice but guess this isn't going to happen for the S9 with the way the screen is.

Caporegime
I literally don't know what could make me go for a newer phone than my s7edge.

There's nothing else I want except better cam.

Back
Top Bottom