**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Associate
Traded my s7 in at the Samsung store and works out at £19 a month for this.

My s7 was faulty but in warranty somehow after 2 years so they just gave me the full amount. Will never get a phone from a network again at their prices, insane.

Nice upgrade from the s7.

Soldato
I had a play with the S9+ and got to compare it with my S8+, I just don't see the justification that you are to warrant the need to upgrade tbh.

The speakers are better yeah, but in terms of everything else it was very similar.

I guess if you just want the latest and greatest then by all means but for finding reasons to needing to upgrade from the 8 series it's just not enough, and that's nothing against Samsung, the S8 is still a great device to purchase to this day as was/is the S7

A colleague of mine is a die hard Samsung fan and he spent quite a lot of time trying out the S9 series at a Samsung store and came away thinking exactly the same as you.

The S8 is a perfectly decent phone and still relevant. Unless your from another device or S7 and below you really can't justify ther additional cash outlay.

Soldato
(Ladies? and) Gentlemen, please, grab a hanky and dab away my tears...

String quartet - play us a sad one...

Galaxy S2 - not a blemish
Galaxy S4 - not a blemish
Galaxy S6 - one deep scratch after approximately 18 months' use - fair innings - was bothered but not enough to act
Galaxy S9+ - a one-inch and tangibly deep scratch after only under three days unboxed :eek::(

Prime suspect is the small metal clip on my work ID lanyard. I've been careful to keep it away from my keys, etc.

Before all the "told-you-so mumsnets" :p chime in about cases and screen protectors, I have a case on order but the one I had my eye on - Spigen Reventon - is not yet available. The ticking time bomb has, if not entirely gone BOOM, has at least sparked. I am sad but hey, worse things have happened, and will happen yet!

Got some cerium oxide paste on way from the rainforest - they don't necessarily recommend that it's used on phone screens but I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe some of the wax I use on my motorcycle's petrol tank. I suspect it's too deep to rectify though, I can easily feel it with my fingernail and it is visible from all angles.

Anybody got any fabulous ideas? Tried and tested first-hand - not internet myth please ;). I'm hopeful that if I can fill it with something and then lay a protector over top it may stay filled and hidden...

Get a LOCA based screen protector the LOCA may fill the scratch in

Associate
Was in CPW earlier to find a new case, my current one is just a temp one which is a flip case. Was looking at the samsung flyknit case, it's actually quite slim and holds well. They sell it for £30 but think you can get it from ebay for £25. Worth a look if anyone is looking for a case.

Associate
Sorry to hear that, for the exact reason I put a screen protector and case on immediately, how about fitting a tempered glass protector? It might take most of it away?

Get a LOCA based screen protector the LOCA may fill the scratch in

Cheers.

I've got some cerium oxide on order though not entirely sure how effective it will be, and a screen protector from Gadgetshieldz. Also, a case on the way. I'm hoping that, combined, the cerium oxide might fill or help hide the scratch, the protector will prevent further scratches and the case will conceal the protector's edges for a nice clean look. Will find out when they arrive through the post!

Associate
If you can feel it with a finger nail I suspect it's too deep to polish out even with a powered polishing pad. As mentioned a screen protector might hide it but on an S8 the few I tried were horrible. You could always wait until it slips from your grasp and bounces off the pavement - cracking the glass? :D

Associate
Cheers.

I've got some cerium oxide on order though not entirely sure how effective it will be, and a screen protector from Gadgetshieldz. Also, a case on the way. I'm hoping that, combined, the cerium oxide might fill or help hide the scratch, the protector will prevent further scratches and the case will conceal the protector's edges for a nice clean look. Will find out when they arrive through the post!

The cerium oxide will almost certainly remove the oleophobic coating in the localised area you use it so you need to balance whether to have the scratch or very noticeable fingerprints in the area it's used on. I accidentally removed the oleophobic coating from one of my Note 4s by overuse of cleaning wipes that contained alcohol and there's a massive difference now between that phone and my other Note 4 that still has it intact.

Associate
(Ladies? and) Gentlemen, please, grab a hanky and dab away my tears...

String quartet - play us a sad one...

Galaxy S2 - not a blemish
Galaxy S4 - not a blemish
Galaxy S6 - one deep scratch after approximately 18 months' use - fair innings - was bothered but not enough to act
Galaxy S9+ - a one-inch and tangibly deep scratch after only under three days unboxed :eek::(

Prime suspect is the small metal clip on my work ID lanyard. I've been careful to keep it away from my keys, etc.

Before all the "told-you-so mumsnets" :p chime in about cases and screen protectors, I have a case on order but the one I had my eye on - Spigen Reventon - is not yet available. The ticking time bomb has, if not entirely gone BOOM, has at least sparked. I am sad but hey, worse things have happened, and will happen yet!

Got some cerium oxide paste on way from the rainforest - they don't necessarily recommend that it's used on phone screens but I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe some of the wax I use on my motorcycle's petrol tank. I suspect it's too deep to rectify though, I can easily feel it with my fingernail and it is visible from all angles.

Anybody got any fabulous ideas? Tried and tested first-hand - not internet myth please ;). I'm hopeful that if I can fill it with something and then lay a protector over top it may stay filled and hidden...

Return it an say it came scratched out the box..

Associate
The cerium oxide will almost certainly remove the oleophobic coating in the localised area you use it so you need to balance whether to have the scratch or very noticeable fingerprints in the area it's used on. I accidentally removed the oleophobic coating from one of my Note 4s by overuse of cleaning wipes that contained alcohol and there's a massive difference now between that phone and my other Note 4 that still has it intact.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll now be covering it with a screen protector anyhow, if only temporarily until I get my hands-on the Spigen Reventon case with glass protector. That will ensure I don't feel the scratch, I just have to hope I can significantly reduce its visibility.

Be careful out there! :p

Back
Top Bottom