**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
Can the UK version of the S9 take an SD card to expand the 64GB of built-in storage? If so, what SD card would be best for storing pictures & video? There's a baffling array of SD cards with different classes and MB/s write speeds with the usual online retailers and I have no idea which would be suitable and which would be overkill for storing pictures.

Soldato
Can the UK version of the S9 take an SD card to expand the 64GB of built-in storage? If so, what SD card would be best for storing pictures & video? There's a baffling array of SD cards with different classes and MB/s write speeds with the usual online retailers and I have no idea which would be suitable and which would be overkill for storing pictures.

Yes, it can; you need a microSD card, and it goes in the slot for the second SIM. SanDisk Ultra are the best I know of.

Soldato
If you plan on filming in 4k, make sure the SD Card is U3 rated. You pay a premium, but it's the only type of card fast enough to cope. If there aren't any plans for that, a U1 rated will be fine.

Soldato
You can film in 4K to the internal storage, though?
Oh yer, of course. I believe that once you have an SD Card installed it defaults to saving to the card over internal storage (I think). My thinking was it made sense to pay the little premium and have a U3 rated card, then no matter where it attempted to record the film to, it would be able to do so in 4k.
I bought a 128GB U3 for my S8 - not the cheapest thing in the world, but I hope to have a few years use out of it and I'll transfer it to any future phone I upgrade to.

Soldato
I think we're debating over semantics.
Question - Can I add an SD card to extend the memory in my S9?
Answer - Yes you can. Any MicroSD card will work
Additional - If you wish to record 4k content to your new SD card it will need to be U3 rated. If not, then a U1 rated card will be fine.

Associate
Had first hand experience with how important the specs for the SD card is. Went on a holiday recording tons of 4k video (mounted on a Zhiyun Smooth Q Gimbal) on my Note8 with a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SD card. Some videos took a long time saving, and some would cause the phone to hang and crash the camera app. I immediately knew it was the SD card choking from its low write speeds. Switched my SD card to a Samsung Evo U3 and everything went fine from there.

Associate
Had first hand experience with how important the specs for the SD card is. Went on a holiday recording tons of 4k video (mounted on a Zhiyun Smooth Q Gimbal) on my Note8 with a Sandisk Ultra Class 10 SD card. Some videos took a long time saving, and some would cause the phone to hang and crash the camera app. I immediately knew it was the SD card choking from its low write speeds. Switched my SD card to a Samsung Evo U3 and everything went fine from there.

I had Sandisk in my S7 Edge, that did all sorts of strange things. Losing photos, not being found be the phone etc etc, very frustrating. I switched to a Samsung card and it has been totally faultless. No issues at all using it in my S9+ since day 1. Wouldn't buy another Sandisk card.

Soldato
I had Sandisk in my S7 Edge, that did all sorts of strange things. Losing photos, not being found be the phone etc etc, very frustrating. I switched to a Samsung card and it has been totally faultless. No issues at all using it in my S9+ since day 1. Wouldn't buy another Sandisk card.

You either had a faulty one, a fake or there was something wrong with your phone.

Sandisk, like Samsung are one of the few people who actually manufacture memory and don't just rebadge it.

I'm not saying it's any better or worse than samsung but their QC is bang on, I've worked with them plenty of times in the past and they're a very serious operation.

Associate
You either had a faulty one, a fake or there was something wrong with your phone.

Sandisk, like Samsung are one of the few people who actually manufacture memory and don't just rebadge it.

I'm not saying it's any better or worse than samsung but their QC is bang on, I've worked with them plenty of times in the past and they're a very serious operation.
Must have been a faulty card as it wasn't fake as purchased from Argos (cheapest place at the time with an offer on) who refunded me. The phone was fine with another card in it.

Soldato
Anyone else had paint coming away from the fingerprint scanner? I've got it and now the fingerprint scanner is very temperamental and struggled to detect my finger. Phone is 7 months old, no insurance though so not sure I can do anything unless I pay a load of dosh?

Soldato
Anyone else had paint coming away from the fingerprint scanner? I've got it and now the fingerprint scanner is very temperamental and struggled to detect my finger. Phone is 7 months old, no insurance though so not sure I can do anything unless I pay a load of dosh?

A ladbat work has had this

Soldato
Paint on the scanner? I thought it was glass? surely that would be covered by warranty?

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi, Does anyone know how to get the S9 Rear camera to use Portrait mode like in the S9+ and iphone ? Is there a special app needed for this ?

Soldato
Hi, Does anyone know how to get the S9 Rear camera to use Portrait mode like in the S9+ and iphone ? Is there a special app needed for this ?

I think it might be coming in an update to be faked in software but technically it shouldn't work.. it generally requires 2 cameras to achieve the depth effect

Caporegime
Just got my s9+, clearly I don't want to put a case on it. But I'm clumsy, so any recommendations?

Or is a back skin and some magic screen protector better?

Back
Top Bottom