**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Appliances Direct are a legit outfit. I've used them in the past and only last week purchased a washer dryer from them for a flat I rent out.
They are legit. But just hope you never have to deal with their customer service if something you buy breaks in the warranty period. I had a nightmare with them. Won’t touch them with a barge pole now. Their trustpilot sucks for a reason. I ignored that and it was a costly decision for me in the end. Rubbish company.

Soldato
Pie installed from the link on page 51 - all good, took less than 2 minutes on the S9+ to install via Odin; the reboot took a few minutes longer though.

So far so good - I gave the new UI a go, but I just couldn't get on with those massive icons! I also use a custom DPI of 581 in dev mode, which meant that I was unable to reduce the icon size via the grid adjustment - so I have gone back to Nova.

Liking the new off-screen gesture buttons, they seemed to have dropped the single button (like I had on the Pixel + Pie), and have replaced that with a full-screen mode, where you can swipe up form the Left to bring up recent, Middle for home, and Right for back.

Soldato
Stupid question time.
On my previous LG I had smart location settings, basically different sound profiles etc at work, home etc, is there a similar setting on the S9, cause damnned if I can find anything.
Okay so seen you have to download a seperate app for this. Also seems limited. On the LG you could choose the WiFi and BT to turn off and on etc. Seems a weird large exception for Samsung.

Last edited:
Associate
I strongly recommend that anyone who gets a S9 has a protective case ready before use.
Sadly I didn't and the screen shattered on day 3 of use. I know everyone says their phone dropped only a few inches but mine only fell out of my pocket in the airport bending down to pick up a customers luggage. The corner shattered and the crack instantly went round the circumference of the entire screen. Repair cost was £219 and the phone has never been the same since. Apparently heat has to be applied to free the old screen which may have damage some of the internals. Mine is now in a draw and I am back to my S7 as it now out performs my repaired S9 (Samsung repaired).

Sad as I have it on contract and can only hope my S7 holds out until an upgrade is a sensible price. It terms of robustness it for me was a real step back from the S7 which has been to hell and back with me.

Caporegime
I strongly recommend that anyone who gets a S9 has a protective case ready before use.
Sadly I didn't and the screen shattered on day 3 of use. I know everyone says their phone dropped only a few inches but mine only fell out of my pocket in the airport bending down to pick up a customers luggage. The corner shattered and the crack instantly went round the circumference of the entire screen. Repair cost was £219 and the phone has never been the same since. Apparently heat has to be applied to free the old screen which may have damage some of the internals. Mine is now in a draw and I am back to my S7 as it now out performs my repaired S9 (Samsung repaired).

Sad as I have it on contract and can only hope my S7 holds out until an upgrade is a sensible price. It terms of robustness it for me was a real step back from the S7 which has been to hell and back with me.

Take it back to Samsung and complain?

Soldato

That's the reason why whenever I get a new phone, it never leaves my house until I get a case.

Soldato
I manually updated my S9 to Pie. Nearly killed it tho as I was just about to install the update from the link above, then realized it was for the 9+ :eek:

The phone seems ok and Ill have a mess around with it tomorrow. I used this link if anyone is interested?

Associate
Pie installed from the link on page 51 - all good, took less than 2 minutes on the S9+ to install via Odin; the reboot took a few minutes longer though.

So far so good - I gave the new UI a go, but I just couldn't get on with those massive icons! I also use a custom DPI of 581 in dev mode, which meant that I was unable to reduce the icon size via the grid adjustment - so I have gone back to Nova.

Liking the new off-screen gesture buttons, they seemed to have dropped the single button (like I had on the Pixel + Pie), and have replaced that with a full-screen mode, where you can swipe up form the Left to bring up recent, Middle for home, and Right for back.
Any improvements on the battery?

Associate
Been using the Samsung betas since early Dec. Can't say I've really noticed much improvement in battery life. Certainly it hasn't got worse! This is on my S9+.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to see the Software improve the battery life. Certainly with Adaptive Battery and Night mode thrown into the mix.

Associate
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to see the Software improve the battery life. Certainly with Adaptive Battery and Night mode thrown into the mix.

As far as night mode goes then on my phone it won't stick. Been like it for all 3 betas. If I use Samsung launcher it stays on longer. But using Nova launcher night mode turns off after maybe 10 mins. That said I use High Contrast 2 theme rather than default now which is a dark theme so no need of night mode. Samsung may have back tracked on their 14 day limit of 'free' themes Maybe just as well as something so stupid would have made this my last Samsung phone!

Soldato
Any improvements on the battery?

I'm not a massive heavy user tbh, so probably not the best to say - but it's certainly not worse. I listen to music on mine most of the day at work - browsing on the bog etc, and get home with over 50% battery left. Got my display set to the highest resolution, have brightness a little over halfway.

All in though, it was a very decent update for me - I like hte visual changes to menus and whatnot, and the hidden buttons.

Soldato
Does anyone have an issue with the S9+, where, notifications don't come through when the phone is in sleep/standby mode ?

Basically, when you press the power button it lights up and the notifications then come through? Is there a setting or something?

I have tested this a lot and it does seem to be an issue where, I have waited 2-3 mins phone hasn't pinged and I know there is an email waiting, I press the power button and then the phone notification pops up!

Associate
Does anyone have an issue with the S9+, where, notifications don't come through when the phone is in sleep/standby mode ?

Basically, when you press the power button it lights up and the notifications then come through? Is there a setting or something?

I have tested this a lot and it does seem to be an issue where, I have waited 2-3 mins phone hasn't pinged and I know there is an email waiting, I press the power button and then the phone notification pops up!
Yes, I've had that problem, especially with emails. I'm using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onegravity.k10.pro2
I can wait all day for an email to appear on the phone at times. But recently I don't have a problem.
It seems to be a random Syncing bug. Restarting the phone doesn't make any difference.

Another problem I have, is when I'm DLing 2 or more app updates via WiFi.
The first DLs OK, but the second doesn't start to DL until I close and reopen the Google Play app.
Other times, I load GP and can't access my account or view the apps within the store, until a few minutes have past.

Soldato
THink I might have to sell this on, so many little things that its not good at.
Finger sensor seems really slow and not very responsive. Bluetooth range is really bad with frequent small drop outs, and somehow the sound isnt as good. Location based settings are no where to be found. Also blutooth sound option are not there. No easy knock "tap code" to wake/ unlock etc. Really surprised how much is missing. Might stick with LG, would get a V30 if I didnt think the V40 was going to land at some point.

So has anyone else as of yet encountered the fault with the fingerprint sensor coating coming away?

Mine is as good as the day I got it. I use it all the time but have kept the phone in an official Samsung case which causes it to be recessed a bit more, so maybe that stopped it getting worn by the pocket?

Soldato
Mine is as good as the day I got it. I use it all the time but have kept the phone in an official Samsung case which causes it to be recessed a bit more, so maybe that stopped it getting worn by the pocket?

Maybe, it's a defect, I went into o2 and they've seen a couple, it's covered by warranty, but I've rooted, but I asked in o2 lukilly can still trade it in they'll just pretend they don't notice lol, so I'm not too worried when it comes to S10 or iphone or whatever I decided to get in April.

Back
Top Bottom