**** The Official Sony Xperia 1 Thread ****

Soldato
So after months of silence after the big reveal at MWC in February, it would appear that some UK retailers and networks finally provided us with a release date of 30th May and some juicy pre-order bonuses including free PS4 from Vodafone and Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones form O2 and Carphone Warehouse.

The current official specs for the phone can be found on Sony's website with pièce de résistance being the 6.5" 4K (1644 x 3840) OLED screen in what they describe as "cinematic" 21:9 ratio. It also packs the latest Gorilla Glass 6, HDR BT.2020 and DCI-P3 100%, however, there are some questions over battery life as they only put a 3330mAh cell into the phone with wireless charging missing from the included features.

Rest of the phone is as expected with Snapdragon 855, 6GB RAM and 128GB storage with expandable storage included up to 1TB. Fingerprint sensor remains on the side of the phone and there is no headphone jack.

There is also a triple camera setup on the back with an ultra wide and x2 zoom lens and I believe this is the first time they are collaborating with their Sony Alpha camera division. We may just see them bring their camera software experience up to the flagship competition with an inclusion of a physical Bionz X image processor found on their cameras.

Launch, however, is typical Sony with next to no buzz being generated. None of the usual sites or Youtubers are talking about it so little information on how this actually performs in real life with 11 days until release. As of the time of this post, all "hands on" reviews are from a heavily locked down handset at MWC in February so hopefully we see something before the 30th May.

Xperia 2 leaks have already surfaced as well with rumours point towards the usual September release, as per Sony's 6 month release cycle.

Soldato
OP
It just feels like no one particularly cares anymore and they are just going through the motions of releasing their phones before the lay offs.

Fair enough they might not have the budget for a big marketing campaign, but at least send out some review samples so can generate some buzz and pre-orders before launch on the 30th. Launch in US is almost 6 weeks after UK, with 12th July confirmed and only appears to be on sale in SIM free form.

I'm just interested in seeing how the cameras pan out on this, maybe Sony Alpha collaboration may count for something, like with Huawei and Leica.

Associate
How hard is it to send free samples to the main youtube reviewers... It's pretty much free advertising to millions of people

I've been a fan of Sony phones for a long time but even I'm struggling to care anymore

Associate
I'll probably get it but the rumours of a 5G version 2 a little later down the line and no HDMI output are damned annoying.

Sony arguably have the most potential to create the best phone(s) but they never seem to...

Leveraging tech from their Bravia, Alpha and PlayStation brands on a noteworthy scale could easily eclipse the others. Even the most 48mp sensor attached to most flagships today is a Sony product... Bizarre

Soldato
I like the look of this phone but, as mentioned above, there's just no hype or any type of marketing for it.
I kinda suspect that the reason Sony phones are failing is because Sony put no effort into advertising them.
Plus I think the price is going to be sky high. They need to stop trying to compete with the top dogs and bring the prices down a bit.

Soldato
OP
Yeah only thing going for it right now is the price with O2, £630 and free headphones.

Basically O2 contracts are all split into phone and airtime portions, pay off the phone part and you're free to cancel the airtime any time.

Only thing is that if you want to claim the headphones you may need to keep the airtime for a month or so, as they wait 14 days to validate your purchase.

If they actually managed to get their camera software right this time with the Sony Alpha collaboration I may be mildly interested taking into account the price. Free headphones end on 29th May and so far it's just complete silence from any review site, not going to risk ordering one of this that stays the same.

Soldato
Yeah, it has been pretty low key and I suspect their real selling point is the 4K oled display which will probably be downscaled for the UI and only of any real benefit for movies.

Still,if you sell on the headphones then you're essentially getting the flagship for a really good price.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's basically no key at this point, nevermind low key :p

For the sake of a 3300ish mAh battery you would hope it downscales but biggest concern is the cameras. XZ3 didn't really set the world on fire in that department, with software behind most competitors. Big question is where this Sony Alpha, Bionz X talk is just marketing spiel or this time around they've actually made an effort to seriously improve camera performance.

Not really holding my breath to hear anything before the release day on the 30th and don't feel like going through returns. Also the leaks for Xperia 2, point to a smaller 6.1" screen so maybe there are battery issues with a larger screen or ergonomics are just off with 6.5" screen on this one. At 167mm I can see this feeling quite uncomfortable in your jean pocket when you take a seat, etc

EDIT:

So it would appear there was a strategy meeting at Sony and they are now pulling out of many markets and going forward will only be concentrating on Europe, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

SHYdqgJ.jpg

Looks like some markets like US, Russia and China will just have the option of buying the phone in SIM free form. Here's a slide of the phone from the meeting as well.

x2z6Oa9.jpg

Looks like there was a small launch in China with more info here, including some photos taken by the phone. As always these are to be taken with a pinch of salt. All in all we already knew Sony were downsizing the mobile division so if they are concentrating on just the key markets, it may just turn it around for them. You know as long as this phone turns out to be good :p

Last edited:
Associate
Ive gone and pre ordered on o2 and got 95 quid cash back tracked as well with quidco.

Out of all the phones that have been coming out this year the Xperia 1 has piqued my interest the most. I wish it had wireless charging but I'm going from a OnePlus 6 so I've gotten used to not having that convenience and just hope the battery copes to get me through the day with its mammoth screen and res

Soldato
OP
Looks like some Chinese bloggers already have their hands on it, my language skills are non existent here but this appears to be one of the better videos:

Any native speakers are free to translate :p

Soldato
OP
I'm not that bothered, just trying to keep the thread up to date before release :p

Still midly interested in this because of the price and free cans, with 20% discount from O2 this is VERY competitive compared to other phones I'm looking at.

EDIT:

Looks like review units are making their way to various outlets, here's a hands on review from a Czech site.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got one coming next Thursday.

I'm all for it, but the pricing's awful and the general overall launch has been awful.

I'd love to see Sony make an Xperia Play 2 with a 1080P OLED screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom