**** The Official Sony Xperia 1 Thread ****

Associate
So heads up, put my old SIM in to activate Whatsapp and it completely reset my home screen settings to default with all icons I've organised gone as well.

Little miffed, definitely not one for frequent SIM changers.

EDIT: Anyone else have had problems with the camera app? Yesterday when the phone dropped under 15% whenever I would take any photo, little spinny thing would just keep going saying it's processing the photo and then app would crash. Photo wouldn't be saved so it basically didn't work and today the camera app just plain wouldn't open, simply crash and only worked when I restarted the phone.

These are duel sim right. Can't you just run your old one in the larger with an adaptor if needed

Soldato
OP
These are duel sim right. Can't you just run your old one in the larger with an adaptor if needed

Doesn't appear so and I was told from O2 it's a single SIM phone.

Other slot is just labelled microSD and no dual sim settings in the phone.

EDIT: So had a little hike today and finally put the camera through its paces. I don't have it anymore but included some shots from Samsung S7 Edge (with gcam) from a different day.

Sony

GlrIgYQ.jpg

S7

9cvgI9d.jpg

Sony

12VciNM.jpg

S7

qDyv0BB.jpg

Sony

kFILbS0.jpg

S7

X9uIBVw.jpg

Sony

IJffeC4.jpg

S7

QP8cRJP.jpg

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to be impressed by the main camera performance at the moment. It does have pretty good macro mode and edge detection from quick snaps seems good so far.

3kYExoz.jpg

hFFxrYd.jpg

I've once again encountered a bug in the camera software, it basically started taking photos like this (I counted 8 out of 152 taken).

MANcivh.jpg

Later the camera then started getting weird on me, with last shown thing on the screen skipping like a scratched up DVD trying to play. Then it basically stopped functioning to a point where I had to restart the phone, that's a third day in a row I've had to restart my phone to get the camera app to work.

Last edited:
Associate
Returning mine as well. Nothing wrong with the phone but on O2 it doesn't have WIFI calling (even though I asked both in store and on live chat and got told it has). So looks like I will go with EE which has got it. Complete waste of my time....

Soldato
OP
Yeah noticed that too but luckily O2 signal is far better than Three at my house so don't have any need for it.

My cheapo Spigen knock off case arrived too, good enough for protection but buttons are on a stiff side. Very hard to use the two stage function of the camera button.

Also looks like there's some kind of stabilisation on the wide angle when shooting video, 1080p/30 is very smooth. Video does seem better than stills in this which isn't surprising.

Permabanned
Returned mine.

Returning mine as well.

A new Sony handset. DOA :p

So it would appear there was a strategy meeting at Sony and they are now pulling out of many markets and going forward will only be concentrating on Europe, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ceases its mobiles division operations. That division is lackluster, they don't know what innovation is, not to mention quality as well, and this should kill it.

Associate
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ceases its mobiles division operations. That division is lackluster, they don't know what innovation is, not to mention quality as well, and this should kill it.

I'm currently sat in ee buying it again (yay for credit cards / 10 working days to get my money back and having to post it and not take it into store... ) so it's nothing to do with Sony and all to do with O2 sucking balls. Both O2 and vodaphone are on my never touch again list now.

Soldato
O2 have been made aware and are hopefully looking into the WiFi calling issue. Apparently it is meant to be fully WiFi and 4g calling capable on O2, the spec page on their site even lists it.

Associate
Well thats there loss, on EE now with better signal, full Wifi calling and its 4 quid cheaper a month as well for the same package. Plus the customer service I have had in the two EE stores I visited was fantastic, unlike O2.

Soldato
OP
Well O2 also list this as having a 3.5mm audio jack, good thing they are not my first port of call for checking phone specs!

First proper review out, 4 out 5 stars on Expert Reviews.

I'm really hoping they continue working on their HDR in stills, it's not really up there and struggles in highly dynamic situations. Normally blows out the highlights and for the results, I'm surprised at the performance of the camera app. Almost every shot has a solid second delay before a picture will show up after taking it and app in general been quite buggy for me.

Whoever was the genius who thought it's a good idea for the snap sound in the camera app (which is on by default) to completely stop playback of anything on the phone, needs a refresher in user design. Took me a good 10 minutes while out on a hike to figure out why it was stopping my Spotify every time I took a photo as I had my headphones in and couldn't even hear it. Also annoyingly if you take a video, playback on Spotify or Audible doesn't resume like it did on my previous Samsung and Huawei phones.

Also every time I do check a photo after taking it, the phone then momentarily flashes an imagine of a song I have playing on Spotify or the cover of a book in Audible before displaying the image. Just makes the camera app feel half baked and images just look strange, almost low resolution in the app when lining up a shot but then far better once you check the picture.

Then I had the big bugs where I had to restart the phone completely to get the camera app to work at all, which happened 3 times including that incident where it was just producing solid green shots.

Associate
Although I'm happy overall the camera app has been buggy the little I've used it with photos not saving after taking them etc. I'm hoping an update will make a huge improvement on that side since they are pushing this alpha camera tech

Soldato
OP
Not that I can see, definitely no performance increase in the camera app.

There's still a pretty solid delay for viewing the photo you've just taken and night mode is still poor. Here's the thing though, going to manual mode and sticking ISO to 800+ with EV to +1 yields you very bright shots with a 2 second delay. Hardware is clearly capable of good results, I have no idea what they are thinking with the software though.

Associate
I've just found you need to manual add WiFi calling with O2.

You have to go on my O2 on website and scroll down to devices and should be under that to enable it I've just done it but says it takes up to 24hours to switch on

Back
Top Bottom