**** The Official Sony Xperia™ XZ3 Thread ****

Soldato
Sony rep showed this phone yesterday.

My word the display is fantastic.

The camera was absolutely garbage though, the phone felty quite heavy and mostly top heavy....very odd in the hand, finger print reader is really low too.

Good news on the display, but curved man.

Sounds like too many flaws already. They never seem to nail the camera even though they make the best sensors. And the fingerprint location is indeed awkward.

Soldato
The display was fantastic though (first oled Sony phone he said)

I liked how if you lift the phone out your pocket in landscape and hold it up, the camera automatically opens (demo worked well)

Permabanned
Because it was slow and laggy when I used it. Slow to open and laggy as hell. The only thing I can think of is because it was a pre production model.

Probably.
There is too much negative criticisim on Sony cameras but in my own experience, I find them better than any other manufacturer - iPhone and Samsung shift colours, HTC never as good, Huawei overvalued, etc.

From the link above:
Sony introduced the 19MP f/2.0 camera found on the XZ3 a year ago in the Sony Xperia XZ1, but while this might put off anyone thinking of upgrading from an XZ1, the XZ3’s camera is much, much better.

The user interface has been streamlined for starters, so there’s less swiping to get to the various modes and frequently accessed settings are always shown on-screen, so there’s minimal fiddling around when prepping your shot.

Image quality is much improved over the XZ1 too, with better clarity, low-light performance and dynamic range. It feels like a completely different camera.

But while the XZ3 is an excellent stills camera by Sony’s standards, it isn’t quite so impressive by those of other flagship smartphones.

In good light, detail is strong, and a nice amount of background blur can be achieved without calling on any bokeh modes. Where things fall down is when it comes to dynamic range – the camera has a tendency to overexpose highlights in higher-contrast scenes. If you want to use this camera in auto mode, the exposure slider is going to be your best friend.

Where Sony pulls things back is when it comes video. The digital stabilization works well in good light in particular, and the 4K HDR footage you can capture is simply breath-taking.

In contrast to stills capture, dynamic range in video trounces the competition when footage is viewed on a compatible HDR screen, such as those on this phone or the Samsung Galaxy Note 9, so any video buffs can get excellent results if the lighting’s right and they’re willing to invest time squeezing the best from the phone’s video camera.

Permabanned
Quite tempted to get this to replace my ageing Z5 premium. Says its good for youtube and games, right up my street!

Well, the Z5 Premium is only 3 year-old. There is still some life in it.
The only annoying thing in it are the thick bezels on top and bottom :confused: :(

Soldato
Only prob is if I play games it kills my battery, didn't used to be like it. Other than that the phone is fine, last a good 24hrs+ if I leave it alone.

Soldato
I have xz premium is this a sequel to mine? I got this at launch last year

There naming system needs a revamp as all seems off to know what is what's models replacement

Permabanned
I have xz premium is this a sequel to mine? I got this at launch last year

There naming system needs a revamp as all seems off to know what is what's models replacement

Well, no actually.
Your XZ Premium is the sequel to Z5 Premium.
XZ3 is a sequel of XZ2, XZ1, XZs, XZ, Z5, Z3+, Z3, Z2, Z1, Z and then probably Xperia S.
While XZ2 Premium is the latest sequel of Premium phones which probably evolve from the Z Ultra.

Soldato
Well, no actually.
Your XZ Premium is the sequel to Z5 Premium.
XZ3 is a sequel of XZ2, XZ1, XZs, XZ, Z5, Z3+, Z3, Z2, Z1, Z and then probably Xperia S.
While XZ2 Premium is the latest sequel of Premium phones which probably evolve from the Z Ultra.
Cheers, still looks messy by Sony.

Does that in essence make premium there flagship series, then the XZ below and Z being bottom?
I can upgrade early next year but tbh still very happy with this

Permabanned
Cheers, still looks messy by Sony.

Does that in essence make premium there flagship series, then the XZ below and Z being bottom?
I can upgrade early next year but tbh still very happy with this

XZ Premium is their halo stack;
XZ is their high-end/enthusiast;
Z was just their first high-end/enthusiast, while XZ means Z10, after Z5, they didn't call the next one Z6 but 10Z (XZ). :D

Their lower end is XA, L and R.

Associate
Has any one here got one yet?
I am torn between this and the Google 3. I have seen video playing on this phone and it looks stunning but I need to know If the speakers are in the Samsung s9 levels of loudness as I got rid of my Sony Z3 due to volume being to low. I could not get to the volume controls in my local CPW due to the unit being clamped down with a security device that blocked access to the volume.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Has any one here got one yet?
I am torn between this and the Google 3. I have seen video playing on this phone and it looks stunning but I need to know If the speakers are in the Samsung s9 levels of loudness as I got rid of my Sony Z3 due to volume being to low. I could not get to the volume controls in my local CPW due to the unit being clamped down with a security device that blocked access to the volume.

I guess the level of loudness of the Sony phones is a the right design decision to comply with some precautions to protect our ears.

Why don't you go to a store to check it in person?

I'm so tempted..........hmmmmm........

Between this Sony with the most outstanding display and excellent design, and other phones from different new Chinese start-ups and the likes of companies without tradition in this business like Google or Oneplus, I would definitely vote for the Sony.

Associate
I guess the level of loudness of the Sony phones is a the right design decision to comply with some precautions to protect our ears.

Why don't you go to a store to check it in person?

Between this Sony with the most outstanding display and excellent design, and other phones from different new Chinese start-ups and the likes of companies without tradition in this business like Google or Oneplus, I would definitely vote for the Sony.

Did you even read my whole post . I could not get to the volume controls in my local CPW due to the unit being clamped down with a security device that blocked access to the volume.

Anyway I did go and visit another store today and managed to actually get hands on with both the XZ3 and the Google Pixel 3. Ended up walking out with the Sony as it had a better Display, Better Price and the front facing speakers are better sounding. The Sony isn't heavily skinned with bloatware and does get timely updates so I am not losing out to much in that department and I have a Panasonic Lumiz TZ 100 for when I want really good Photos and 4K video so still camera being a bit better on the Google 3 is not important to me.

Permabanned
Did you even read my whole post . I could not get to the volume controls in my local CPW due to the unit being clamped down with a security device that blocked access to the volume.

Why so aggressive?
Yes, I did but to be honest I thought you couldn't properly adjust your Z3 settings. What is CPW?
And why didn't you leave a larger space interval between your statements about the Z3 and the new XZ3 store experience?

Anyway I did go and visit another store today and managed to actually get hands on with both the XZ3 and the Google Pixel 3. Ended up walking out with the Sony as it had a better Display, Better Price and the front facing speakers are better sounding. The Sony isn't heavily skinned with bloatware and does get timely updates so I am not losing out to much in that department and I have a Panasonic Lumiz TZ 100 for when I want really good Photos and 4K video so still camera being a bit better on the Google 3 is not important to me.

Congratulations for the choice!

Associate
Lets start again.

Car Phone Warehouse = CPW sorry for your confusion I don't know if you are UK based or not and may have never heard of this high street retailer.

I Loved the Z3 for everything at the time I had it apart from the fact I work in an environment where there is a lot of back ground noise and the Z3 I had was just not loud enough from the speakers so I replaced it with a ZTE Axon 3 as it had a very good OLED screen and very good stereo front facing speakers but after 2 years it looked like I was getting no more system updates so looked for a new phone. The new XZ3 just improves on the Axon with HDR, Android 9 and faster processor.

Hope that helps and I am sorry you thought I was being aggressive.

Soldato
Went and looked at one today, very very nice screen. exact same size as the Z5 I have, which I wanted to compare as well.

do I, don't I..........my Z5 is OK still, but I want the XZ3 lol

Back
Top Bottom