** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Associate
The whole world was watching and they did the count down in French.

Watching with some kids and it was a bummer for them, what a way to not inspire a generation.

Anyone with interaction with young kids knows that countdown is one of the best parts for them.

Soldato

Watching with some kids and it was a bummer for them, what a way to not inspire a generation.

Anyone with interaction with young kids knows that countdown is one of the best parts for them.

Teach them to count for themselves and not rely on others ?

Caporegime
So with it having more modern equipment, how fast will it transmit data back to Earth, I wondered?

Then I had a quick Google. Up to 28Mbit/s. Pretty decent.
Seems decent, wonder what the latency is on that connection :p. And a lot faster than the speeds they have for the likes of Mars and Voyagers - though hardly surprising with the distance involved.

Soldato

Tell your kids it was a joint effort between multiple Space agencies from different nationalities and not to be racist. How can you say kids won't be inspired by this? All because they spoke and counted down in french. To me it was an opportunity to teach my lads how to count down in another language, because to get any were in the space program as a scientist like my lad wants to do you might need to speak another language.

This whole Webb things has taken off big time over the last few years, saying "what a way not to inspire a generation" is quite pathetic.

Soldato

Good grief :rolleyes:

How about using it as a great excuse to start counting in a foreign language!

Plus - surely French speaking kids deserve to be able to get inspired too?

Oh - and lastly - being monolingual puts you in a pretty small minority. Most of the world speak more than one language equally fluently.

Soldato
Ok so this is all over my head. :o

How can we look billions of years into the past with this telescope..?

Simple answer - Light takes a measurable amount time to travel. Over long enough distances this time becomes noticeable so light arriving at Earth was actually emitted millions of years before we actually see it therefore when we view really distant objects we are effectively looking into the past.

Some stars you can see in the sky might not actually be there any more.

Back
Top Bottom