Poll: *** The official Studio Display thread (it has the 27" 5K iMac screen and everything!) ***

Are you getting the 27" Studio Display?

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Mine has just arrived. I’m fully blaming @LiE for this. For pointing out that it was in stock at JL as I am moving house so didn’t want to order from Apple with the lead time being after I move.

• Haha
Reactions: LiE
Man of Honour
About to order one, quick question though for anyone that may have one...

It will be connected to my M1 Mini, but I'll also be connecting my Windows laptop to it, will it charge it? I'm guessing so given it has Thunderbolt and charges Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple did something odd and made it not charge other devices or something :p

Soldato
About to order one, quick question though for anyone that may have one...

It will be connected to my M1 Mini, but I'll also be connecting my Windows laptop to it, will it charge it? I'm guessing so given it has Thunderbolt and charges Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple did something odd and made it not charge other devices or something :p

If it has TB then yeah it should be fine - just check it's compatible to push the 5K resolution as a lot of Windows Laptops aren't from what I recall. Charging should be fine over Thunderbolt.

Commissario
I was always considering two of these displays to go with my Studio and almost scored a two month old one at the weekend at a decent price . I've been looking at store stock and for the last couple of days there's been stock showing at Glasgow while I've been working in Gateshead.

For the next three days, I'm working near Glasgow and arrived here about three hours ago. I've just checked the stock again and there are none in Glasgow but they're showing available in Gateshead.

You couldn't make it up :(
Now I'm home.

Glasgow's got stock again.

Soldato
OP
Apple Studio Display shortages continue, resllers cash-in (9to5mac.com)

So backordered for 8-10 weeks in the future and they are going for $700-1000 over the retail price on the bay.

Maybe it's time for other brands to consider that perhaps higher resolution monitors are indeed attractive and there is a market. Wouldn't hold my breath, even the LG Ultrafine 5K was always backordered even years after launch.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I’m loving mine. Only thing is I have to unplug my MacBook Pro when it’s sleeping otherwise it keeps the fans on the monitor due to power draw.

Soldato
I absolutely love this display - I've had good quality 4K panels for a few years now, but never had a 5k iMac or anything, generally been a Mac Mini user at home and a Macbook Pro at work, but this is such an upgrade to me.

Soldato
OP
I'm also very happy with mine. Coming from a 5K iMac anything else in the market would have felt like a downgrade. This doesn't seem like a big upgrade over the iMac one either, but it's perfectly fine because I never found the iMac display to be lacking in any way.

Commissario
That took a few reboots for it to all decide to work perfectly.

I plugged it in, rebooted the computer and thought the colour looked a little bit off, it was very different to the main iMac screen.

Did the firmware update and it still looked odd. The Studio Display was very blue in tint compared to the iMac. Fiddled around to make sure all the night shift, True Tone settings, etc appeared correct then rebooted again.

Rebooted again.

Bingo.

@HACO I put my hand up. I can see how much sharper this monitor is compared the the 4K monitor I had here before. In fact, although the panel is supposed to be the same, it looks a little sharper than my 27" iMac but that's a 2017 vintage so it could be a different panel.

Webcam seems fine but I'll never use it anyway.

I've plugged the 4K ASUS VG289Q into my work laptop and I have to say that scaling on Windows 10 is an utter joke. How can they get something like that so badly wrong?

Soldato
Anyone use their Studio Display with a Windows PC? Does it work ok with a Thunderbolt to other interface cable or adaptor? Does the built in camera and mic / speakers work ok (especially with Teams)?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone use their Studio Display with a Windows PC? Does it work ok with a Thunderbolt to other interface cable or adaptor? Does the built in camera and mic / speakers work ok (especially with Teams)?
It works but there’s no way to turn the brightness down from max.

Back
Top Bottom