The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No, that comparison is risible/silly tbh... Have 7,500 people have been on dates and gossiped with Project Veritas people? Nope, more likely they've been able to honey trap very few and apply some common sense at least.

I may just be tired but what is the comparison in the post you quoted?

Man of Honour
lol he really is just trolling. Not really surprising.

In abstract this is the problem with most existing democracies these days - people get fed-up of Tories think the only option is to vote Labour and vice-versa and the same for Republicans and Democrats in the US - democracy isn't worth **** without an actual option for people to vote that the current situation isn't working.

Caporegime
Which is why the non-dullard, wrinkled brain supremes in the UK should hold their nose and vote LibDem as there is a decent chance (versus literally zero) that ultimately their vote will count for something eventually instead of not counting at all.

Soldato
The one I objected to re: the silly denominator vs no interviewed.

Ok, doesn't seem comparison is the right word which was confusing me. But even so, the point doesn't seem unfair, 2 opinions out of 7,500 doesn't on the face of it appear statistically significant.

Caporegime
Ok, doesn't seem comparison is the right word which was confusing me. But even so, the point doesn't seem unfair, 2 opinions out of 7,500 doesn't on the face of it appear statistically significant.

What does statistical significance have to do with anything here? Also I doubt they’ve even attempted to approach 7,500 employees.

Soldato
Doesn't really matter given the employee is clearly on tape saying those things no amount of additional context re: the footage or the people filming really helps negate it.

If the footage has been manipulated to fit a certain narrative then yes, it does matter. And as Project Veritas has done similar tactics in the past, you then have to question the credibility of the video.

What does statistical significance have to do with anything here? Also I doubt they’ve even attempted to approach 7,500 employees.

Because it doesn't give an accurate representation. It's why Musk is throwing a hissy as Twitter, allegedly, only sampled 100 accounts as he doesn't believe it's given an accurate representation of the number of fake/bot accounts on Twitter.

Soldato

Because if you look hard enough you can find almost any type of view, e.g. flat earthers exist despite it being obviously and provably wrong. So two people holding a view about Twitter doesn't mean much without more to support it.

Caporegime
If the footage has been manipulated to fit a certain narrative then yes, it does matter. And as Project Veritas has done similar tactics in the past, you then have to question the credibility of the video.
Nah, the point still stands even assuming that. They still made those statements.

Because it doesn't give an accurate representation. It's why Musk is throwing a hissy as Twitter, allegedly, only sampled 100 accounts as he doesn't believe it's given an accurate representation of the number of fake/bot accounts on Twitter.
You’re conflating rather different things there, we were talking about a couple of employees giving their general views, spilling the means etc.. whereas now you’re bringing up sampling and checking something specific - is a bot or not.

Caporegime
Because if you look hard enough you can find almost any type of view, e.g. flat earthers exist despite it being obviously and provably wrong. So two people holding a view about Twitter doesn't mean much without more to support it.

They’re hardly flat earthers, what they’re saying is pretty plausible.

Seems rather less likely that of the people project veritas managed to get on film they both happened be representative of some fringe/tiny minority views within Twitter.

I mean I know an ex Twitter employee, these guys really aren’t saying anything particularly out of the ordinary.

Soldato
They’re hardly flat earthers, what they’re saying is pretty plausible.

It's entirely plausible. It's also plausible they have an agenda biasing their views.

I think ultimately what threw me with your original post was that the comparison was "risible". That's strong language which in reality doesn't seem warranted notwithstanding the fact the employees comments are entirely plausible.

Soldato
Twitter has 7,500 employees. Project Veritas has managed to find a grand total of 2 employees with strong opinions that play into conservative confirmation bias. The suggestion that these two people are representative of the entire company ethos is utterly risible.

And sure, if Musk buys the company, these two idiots will probably lose their jobs. And nobody will care, because this entire thing is a storm in a teacup as usual.
True but the people they spoke to are senior people in the company holding positions of responsibility there not directing calls from a call centre. Veritas would have had a list of people to go after and just so happened to have landed on these two clowns.

Caporegime
I think ultimately what threw me with your original post was that the comparison was "risible". That's strong language which in reality doesn't seem warranted notwithstanding the fact the employees comments are entirely plausible.
Did you not read the post it was in reply to?

Caporegime
Yes, and to suggest Sankari's post was a comparison that was "risible/silly" just seemed... odd. Still does unless what you meant was just because it's 2 employees' views it doesn't make it plausible.

Eh? I do think it’s plausible though. I don’t know why you seem to want to make comparisons with cranks/flat earthers or pretend it’s as plausible these guys are like that. It’s far more likely they’re regular employees caught up in a sting and airing views held by plenty of others.

Soldato
Eh? I do think it’s plausible though. I don’t know why you seem to want to make comparisons with cranks/flat earthers or pretend it’s as plausible these guys are like that. It’s far more likely they’re regular employees caught up in a sting and airing views held by plenty of others.

You think it's far more likely because of your confirmation bias. You think it was a "risible" suggestion. Definition of risible:

risible
/ˈrɪzɪb(ə)l,ˈrʌɪzɪb(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce

adjective

1. provoking laughter through being ludicrous.

I think there isn't enough data to make any judgement on what is more likely, because in a large enough population you will find views of any kind. Flat earthers exemplify this as with a large enough population you find beliefs that are easily proved wrong.

Twitter staff is by comparison a much smaller population so utterly ridiculous views seem unlikely. However, I think both sides are plausible and neither are patently ridiculous. Therefore, describing Sankari's statement as "risible" is wrong as it certainly didn't provoke me into laughter through being ludicrous.

Caporegime
FYI, the likely subtext behind Musk's post on voting Republican and expecting "a dirty tricks campagin"

" I'm likely about to face the consequences of my securities fraud, but I want as many people as possible/my followers to see it as political retaliation"

Soldato
Nah, the point still stands even assuming that. They still made those statements.

Usually you're all up in other users guts for evidence and sources but because this fits your story you're happily letting it slide :cry:

You’re conflating rather different things there, we were talking about a couple of employees giving their general views, spilling the means etc.. whereas now you’re bringing up sampling and checking something specific - is a bot or not.

And you're suggesting, based on two videos that offer very little credibility, that two employees in one or two offices out of ~7,500 employees spread across 36 offices in 22 countries represents a global business in it's entirety

Fair enough @dowie...

SarcasticEducatedJohndory-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom