The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
some practical twitter stats , can't believe they/footballers have more abuse than the average twitter 'celebrity'
Musk needs to consider cost of managing these abusers ... or, intelligent footballers should just leave.
  • Ofcom discloses machine-learning analysis of 2.3 million tweets in the first half of last season
  • Nearly 60,000 abusive posts sent in the period, affecting seven in ten Premier League players
  • Just twelve players receive half of all abuse – each receiving an average 15 abusive tweets daily
  • Ofcom event hears from Gary Lineker and others about this serious problem in the national game
As the new season warms up for kick-off, Ofcom reveals the scale of personal attacks suffered by Premier League footballers every day on Twitter, and sets out what must be done collectively to tackle the issue.

Ofcom, which is preparing to regulate tech giants under new online safety laws, teamed up with The Alan Turing Institute to analyse more than 2.3 million tweets directed at Premier League footballers over the first five months of the 2021/22 season.[1]

Around one in twelve personal attacks (8.6%) targeted a victim’s protected characteristic, such as their race or gender.

Soldato
some practical twitter stats , can't believe they/footballers have more abuse than the average twitter 'celebrity'
Musk needs to consider cost of managing these abusers ... or, intelligent footballers should just leave.

Okay?

Man of Honour
Or he might be about as serious with that as he was with the Twitter buy, or the Hypertube (which I believe has now been admitted to be nothing more than a way to stop cities putting in public transport with no intention of ever actually doing what he said).

Dunno if I can describe it very well but a lot of his companies work a similar ethos kind of scatter gun approach of throw enough money and brain power at a problem and see what happens/eventually something will work, rather than necessarily having a structure to tackling a goal.

Soldato
Seems Twitter has been a bit lax around privacy and security issues - https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3p3vj/mudge-twitter-whistleblower-massive-security-issues

Whilst it might be true, I do wonder if this has anything to do with the trial coming up?

Edit - An article specifically on Twitter's bot and spam problems with Peiter "Mudge" Zatko (ex Twitter security head; supposedly let go back in January) suggesting execs have/had a lot better idea on the extent of the issue than what they've mentioned/released, especially to Musk - https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/23/t...o-guard-against-insider-threats-on-january-6/
No doubt there will be a load more articles released in the coming days and i'm sure Musk and co will use these new findings during trial; although the release of this information from Zatko does all seem well timed.

Soldato
Seems Twitter has been a bit lax around privacy and security issues - https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3p3vj/mudge-twitter-whistleblower-massive-security-issues

Whilst it might be true, I do wonder if this has anything to do with the trial coming up?

Edit - An article specifically on Twitter's bot and spam problems with Peiter "Mudge" Zatko (ex Twitter security head; supposedly let go back in January) suggesting execs have/had a lot better idea on the extent of the issue than what they've mentioned/released, especially to Musk - https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/23/t...o-guard-against-insider-threats-on-january-6/
No doubt there will be a load more articles released in the coming days and i'm sure Musk and co will use these new findings during trial; although the release of this information from Zatko does all seem well timed.

Mudge testified under oath to the Senate this week, I think we can get past 'might be true'. What he said was truly worrying.

I Listened to Mudge's testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee and it was scary.

The powers that Twitter staff have at hand are like something out of the movies. When asked about the data twitter hold and how it can be abused, Mudge recited the story of a board member being concerned about a Twitter User threatening them.
The results of an internal investigation - which took all of 10 mins - are chilling to say the least. Especially if you then assume that all the Social Networks can do the same. :(
This is the relevant testimony:

"WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT, I HOPE THAT THE COMPANY IS RESPONSIBLE. NOT TO SAY THAT THEY WOULD LIKE THE DATA TO BE USED CORRECTLY AND SAFELY, BUT THAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY ABLE TO QUANTIFIABLY, INTERNALLY GUARANTEE THAT IS THE CASE. AS FAR AS THE TYPE OF DATA, I BELIEVE SENATOR GRASSLEY REFERRED TO AN INCIDENT. WE HAD A USER ON TWITTER THAT WAS HARRASSING SOME MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVE TEAM AND THE BOARD. THIS PERSON CAME TO ME AND SAID IS THIS A REAL, VIABLE THREAT? DO I NEED TO BE WORRIED? WHO IS THIS PERSON? IT TOOK ME MAYBE 30 MINUTES TO REACH OUT TO AN EMPLOYEE AND SAY WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THIS PERSON? IT TOOK THAT PERSON MAYBE 10 MINUTES TO GET BACK TO ME AND SAY OK, HERE IS WHO THEY ARE, THIS IS THE ADDRESS WHERE THEY LIVE, THIS IS WHERE THEY ARE PHYSICALLY AT THIS MOMENT, THEY ARE ON THEIR PHONE, WE KNOW THEIR PHONE NUMBER AND ALL OF THE OTHER ACCOUNTS THEY HAVE TRIED TO SET UP ON THE SYSTEM, AND WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE ON OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS AS WELL. "

Like I said. Chilling.

BBC News - Messages reveal how Musk and Twitter boss fell out

Not long now until the decision.

Thought you all would enjoy reading the article above. Found it quite interesting, especially how random it seemed (at least form the texts) that Elon wanted to take over twitter.

Like who jumps from being on the board, 24 hours later deciding against it, a few days later deciding to offer to purchase for 44 billion, then doing the research after.

All very odd, but then having 200 billion probably does that to even the strongest minded person.

Soldato
Mudge testified under oath to the Senate this week, I think we can get past 'might be true'. What he said was truly worrying.

I Listened to Mudge's testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee and it was scary.

The powers that Twitter staff have at hand are like something out of the movies. When asked about the data twitter hold and how it can be abused, Mudge recited the story of a board member being concerned about a Twitter User threatening them.
The results of an internal investigation - which took all of 10 mins - are chilling to say the least. Especially if you then assume that all the Social Networks can do the same. :(
This is the relevant testimony:

"WHEN YOU SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT, I HOPE THAT THE COMPANY IS RESPONSIBLE. NOT TO SAY THAT THEY WOULD LIKE THE DATA TO BE USED CORRECTLY AND SAFELY, BUT THAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY ABLE TO QUANTIFIABLY, INTERNALLY GUARANTEE THAT IS THE CASE. AS FAR AS THE TYPE OF DATA, I BELIEVE SENATOR GRASSLEY REFERRED TO AN INCIDENT. WE HAD A USER ON TWITTER THAT WAS HARRASSING SOME MEMBERS OF THE EXECUTIVE TEAM AND THE BOARD. THIS PERSON CAME TO ME AND SAID IS THIS A REAL, VIABLE THREAT? DO I NEED TO BE WORRIED? WHO IS THIS PERSON? IT TOOK ME MAYBE 30 MINUTES TO REACH OUT TO AN EMPLOYEE AND SAY WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THIS PERSON? IT TOOK THAT PERSON MAYBE 10 MINUTES TO GET BACK TO ME AND SAY OK, HERE IS WHO THEY ARE, THIS IS THE ADDRESS WHERE THEY LIVE, THIS IS WHERE THEY ARE PHYSICALLY AT THIS MOMENT, THEY ARE ON THEIR PHONE, WE KNOW THEIR PHONE NUMBER AND ALL OF THE OTHER ACCOUNTS THEY HAVE TRIED TO SET UP ON THE SYSTEM, AND WE KNOW WHO THEY ARE ON OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS AS WELL. "

Like I said. Chilling.
Not really. Check Motors where someone's wife reversed into a van and the lads quickly found her home address and all of her details.

Thought you all would enjoy reading the article above. Found it quite interesting, especially how random it seemed (at least form the texts) that Elon wanted to take over twitter.

Like who jumps from being on the board, 24 hours later deciding against it, a few days later deciding to offer to purchase for 44 billion, then doing the research after.

All very odd, but then having 200 billion probably does that to even the strongest minded person.
I get it - he is there to make change not find employment. When he got the text that screamed bozo ('please don't make mean tweet') he sussed out the guy and knew immediately it wasn't worth his time unless that guy was gone.

I get it - he is there to make change not find employment. When he got the text that screamed bozo ('please don't make mean tweet') he sussed out the guy and knew immediately it wasn't worth his time unless that guy was gone.
Just to be clear, you agree with what he did day 1 of joining the board? I thought you were being sarcastic at first, but you actually agree with Elon's method?

Soldato
Just to be clear, you agree with what he did day 1 of joining the board? I thought you were being sarcastic at first, but you actually agree with Elon's method?
I agree with realising my job is futile and throwing the towel in or doubling down.

More fool you if you spend your blood, sweat and tears doing busy work.

Soldato

Didnt he try to buy it because he saw a tweet he didnt like and they wouldnt delete it?

Soldato

If you joined the board of a company and the very next day posted on social media that the companies only product might be dying do you think the board might have issues with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom