1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Outsider - 2020

Discussion in 'US TV shows discussion.' started by Haze, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Haze

Mobster

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8550800/

When Terry Maitland, a suburban parent, is accused of a grisly murder the case is given to Detective Ralph Anderson. Ralph tries to understand the bizarre case when he finds conflicting clues.

Watched the 1st two EP, quite liking it so far

2. Gray2233

Wise Guy

I've been interested in this as I do enjoy a good thriller, but the supernatural elements have sort of put me off a little.

Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of thing when done right but that's rarely the case in my experience, any input as to how those aspects are handled?

I've also been told this is based on some of Stephen King's work by a friend but the IMDB page doesn't mention it, I love Castle Rock so if it's in a similar vein I'll probably enjoy it.

3. Haze

Mobster

Not seen anything supernatural yet, must be a bit of a slow burner getting into it

4. Acme

Caporegime

There was a film called this just 2 years ago... Way to confuse people :p

5. tnx

Wise Guy

Watched 3..

love it.

6. jcr

Wise Guy

Enjoyed the first 2 episodes. 3 and 4 not so much.

7. roge8014

Gangster

Yes it's based on the Stephen King novel The Outsider, also the character Holly Gibney is from King's Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch) which is also a TV series (Mr Mercedes) with Brendan Gleeson in it and Harry Treadaway plays the bad guy Brady Hartsfield (although the actress playing Holly Gibney in Mr Mercedes is different to that one in The Outsider). If you like Castle Rock then most likely you'll enjoy Mr Mercedes.

8. Gray2233

Wise Guy

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at Mr. Mercedes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  9. Malevolence

Capodecina

Episode 5,
    things are starting to get spooky and supernatural now.

10. v0n

Sgarrista

Same, there was a moment in episode 4 where I had to check if this was the same series that started with Jason Bateman, it was like day and nite, it jut moved from paranormal mystery suspense thriller to detective procedural...

11. wolfie138

Mobster

I've been having that problem. I feel if I expect it to be a crime show and something supernatural happens it'll just be silly, and if I expect supernatural shenanigans [it is SK after all] and there aren't any, it'll be a let down. so far it seems to be veering all over the place and I dunno what they're shooting for. they're using the out-of-focus thing far too much too, it's lost any impact and has become irritating.

12. neckbeardthethird

Wise Guy

Started well, but losing interest now it's going down the supernatural route.

13. Malevolence

Capodecina

It's a Steven King story, what did you expect it to do? :confused:

14. neckbeardthethird

Wise Guy

I wasn't expecting anything given i went into it completely blind as to what its about, the only thing i knew about it was that it was averaging over 9.0 on IMDB which in my eyes is a good enough reason for me to check something out.

15. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

The last couple of episodes have been fantastic, talk about a cliffhanger!

16. Andybtsn

Don

Every episode has had me so engrossed, I can't remember a tv show recently that has done that.

17. neil473

Wise Guy

Yes , eagerly waiting each episode, like the dark chilling slow burn , definitely one of the best Stephen King adaptions. Just hope the ending doesn't go too OTT like most SK seem to.