US: The Outsider - 2020

Soldato
I've been interested in this as I do enjoy a good thriller, but the supernatural elements have sort of put me off a little.

Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of thing when done right but that's rarely the case in my experience, any input as to how those aspects are handled?

I've also been told this is based on some of Stephen King's work by a friend but the IMDB page doesn't mention it, I love Castle Rock so if it's in a similar vein I'll probably enjoy it.

Associate
I've been interested in this as I do enjoy a good thriller, but the supernatural elements have sort of put me off a little.

Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of thing when done right but that's rarely the case in my experience, any input as to how those aspects are handled?

I've also been told this is based on some of Stephen King's work by a friend but the IMDB page doesn't mention it, I love Castle Rock so if it's in a similar vein I'll probably enjoy it.

Yes it's based on the Stephen King novel The Outsider, also the character Holly Gibney is from King's Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch) which is also a TV series (Mr Mercedes) with Brendan Gleeson in it and Harry Treadaway plays the bad guy Brady Hartsfield (although the actress playing Holly Gibney in Mr Mercedes is different to that one in The Outsider). If you like Castle Rock then most likely you'll enjoy Mr Mercedes.

Soldato
Yes it's based on the Stephen King novel The Outsider, also the character Holly Gibney is from King's Bill Hodges trilogy (Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch) which is also a TV series (Mr Mercedes) with Brendan Gleeson in it and Harry Treadaway plays the bad guy Brady Hartsfield (although the actress playing Holly Gibney in Mr Mercedes is different to that one in The Outsider). If you like Castle Rock then most likely you'll enjoy Mr Mercedes.

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at Mr. Mercedes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been having that problem. I feel if I expect it to be a crime show and something supernatural happens it'll just be silly, and if I expect supernatural shenanigans [it is SK after all] and there aren't any, it'll be a let down. so far it seems to be veering all over the place and I dunno what they're shooting for. they're using the out-of-focus thing far too much too, it's lost any impact and has become irritating.

Associate
Every episode has had me so engrossed, I can't remember a tv show recently that has done that.

Yes , eagerly waiting each episode, like the dark chilling slow burn , definitely one of the best Stephen King adaptions. Just hope the ending doesn't go too OTT like most SK seem to.

Back
Top Bottom