***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Sgarrista
Commissario
On a side note, I cleaned out my filter house today, threw away hundreds if not thousands worth of old equipment, air pumps, uvs, ozone generators, tens of ball valves, various bits of offcuts of pipe, fittings etc. Treatments that expired 5 years ago and the likes.

Most of it non functioning, broken, unusable, but kept around because its expensive kit! But just decided today to blitz the lot ready to get the covers off and get the jump guards put up for summer.

Associate
I have currently got a large net over the top of my pond, originally put there in autumn to stop the leaves.
I left it on for the whole of winter, after a heron took a couple of my smaller koi.

On the verge of taking the net back off, as not seen the heron for a long time.
Any ideas on the best way to keep the pesky heron away, if it returns?
Was thinking about some small stainless angled posts on top of the copings, with fishing line connecting them, to stop the heron reaching in....but would be a bit unsightly.

Associate
I've enjoyed reading and keeping up with this thread and it’s motivated me to finally make time to sort my pond out. However, I seem to have distressed the fish and I could use some advice.

I think there's a ghost carp (8-10") and a handful of smaller shubunkin or koi (6x 4-6”) in a roughly 1000L pond, although I'm happy to be corrected on that - I have no fish experience! This photo shows them looking happy enough (I put some koi food in to get the photo).
twpikG2.jpg

The larger fish is now staying static (fins moving) under the plant in the middle of the pond & I’ve only seen one of the smaller ones hanging out with it. Presumably the rest are hidden away too (they usually follow the larger fish around anyway).

The backstory is that I moved in to this house a couple of years ago and the stream leading to the pump/filter would run dry every other day (losing ~100 litres of water). Needless to say, I haven't been filling it up every day so the pond has been filterless for a couple of years barring short periods following rain. The pond wasn't looking too bad though and the fish seemed happy enough. I used to just pull out the excess algae growing at the sides of the pond a couple of times a year.

Anyway, following inspiration & advice from this thread, I found the stream was suffering from some bad capillary action at the two joins in the liner. With those resolved, I'm now losing no more than a few litres a day so some work still to do but a considerable improvement! The stream runs for at least a week with no rain. I’ve also done some general tidying within the pond - I lifted out a dead plant and cut back dead shoots on a lily. The water is now fairly clear (showing the massive pile of dead leaves & algae at the bottom of the pond!) and I bought the Colombo water test kit and ran a test. All values seemed to be as expected (pH 7.5, GH 12, KH 10, ammonia, nitrate & nitrite all 0, phosphate ~0.25mg/l).

So, why are the fish so sad?

After getting the stream working and taking the dead plant out but before any further tidying of the pond itself, I gave the fish some koi food which made them all come up so I could see them (first photo above). Since doing the tidying, they stay submerged and ignore any food I drop in. Presumably it must be one of (or a mix of):
  • Stress at the change
  • Stress from the disturbance during the tidying
  • Lack of cover in the water (although there’s still a fair bit) or extra sunlight
  • Poor oxygen levels (but with the pump/waterfall now going and that much algae, surely this shouldn’t be the case? The fish are also towards the bottom rather than coming up for air)
  • Change in temperature
Any advice appreciated.

Pond view:
yypb607.jpg

Frogs/toads still seem happy enough (see under rock):
rv3SwVt.jpg

Soldato
Some fantastic ponds in this thread but I'm after something a little more basic. Dare I ask if anyone can recommend a preformed pond no bigger than 1000 litres?

Associate
I've enjoyed reading and keeping up with this thread and it’s motivated me to finally make time to sort my pond out. However, I seem to have distressed the fish and I could use some advice.

Any advice appreciated.
[/SPOILER]

You don't seem to have much oxygen in the pond? - you can get an air pump and stone for not a lot of money, try that next.

Associate
You don't seem to have much oxygen in the pond? - you can get an air pump and stone for not a lot of money, try that next.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered one on speed delivery and put it in place today. I’ve also ordered an oxygen test kit which arrives on Wednesday.

Ironically, after a week of virtually no movement, there was a bit this morning (before the pump arrived). The fish have been moving around a fair bit since I added the air pump too. The larger one seems a little spooked by the bubbles and is still doing some slightly erratic swimming whereas the smaller ones seem to be making a sport of swimming round them. I’ll try to upload a video tomorrow.

The air bubbles have raised a load of the algae up off the bottom. I’m resisting pulling it all out until the fish have calmed down and returned to normal.

Soldato

I think there's a ghost carp (8-10") and a handful of smaller shubunkin or koi (6x 4-6”) in a roughly 1000L pond, although I'm happy to be corrected on that - I have no fish experience! This photo shows them looking happy enough (I put some koi food in to get the photo).
twpikG2.jpg

The larger fish is now staying static (fins moving) under the plant in the middle of the pond & I’ve only seen one of the smaller ones hanging out with it. Presumably the rest are hidden away too (they usually follow the larger fish around anyway).

The backstory is that I moved in to this house a couple of years ago and the stream leading to the pump/filter would run dry every other day (losing ~100 litres of water). Needless to say, I haven't been filling it up every day so the pond has been filterless for a couple of years barring short periods following rain. The pond wasn't looking too bad though and the fish seemed happy enough. I used to just pull out the excess algae growing at the sides of the pond a couple of times a year.

Anyway, following inspiration & advice from this thread, I found the stream was suffering from some bad capillary action at the two joins in the liner. With those resolved, I'm now losing no more than a few litres a day so some work still to do but a considerable improvement! The stream runs for at least a week with no rain. I’ve also done some general tidying within the pond - I lifted out a dead plant and cut back dead shoots on a lily. The water is now fairly clear (showing the massive pile of dead leaves & algae at the bottom of the pond!) and I bought the Colombo water test kit and ran a test. All values seemed to be as expected (pH 7.5, GH 12, KH 10, ammonia, nitrate & nitrite all 0, phosphate ~0.25mg/l).

So, why are the fish so sad?

After getting the stream working and taking the dead plant out but before any further tidying of the pond itself, I gave the fish some koi food which made them all come up so I could see them (first photo above). Since doing the tidying, they stay submerged and ignore any food I drop in. Presumably it must be one of (or a mix of):
  • Stress at the change
  • Stress from the disturbance during the tidying
  • Lack of cover in the water (although there’s still a fair bit) or extra sunlight
  • Poor oxygen levels (but with the pump/waterfall now going and that much algae, surely this shouldn’t be the case? The fish are also towards the bottom rather than coming up for air)
  • Change in temperature
Any advice appreciated.

Pond view:
yypb607.jpg

Frogs/toads still seem happy enough (see under rock):
rv3SwVt.jpg

It’s not sunny? My mongrels used to love sunbathing head under the lilly pad.

Usually if the fish is feeling upset then they sulks in the bottom of the pond and worse still with fins clamped to their side.

it could be spawning time for the smaller species.

Soldato
Last spade of spoilt out the garden yesterday night. That's 40 tons excavated into the garden then into skips so I've moved 80 tons by spade and bucket (with a bit of digger action early on).

I've surveyed the garden and it's good, so I need to remove part of the old telescope pier and then back fill.. Rotavate and seed the garden.

Photo perhaps shows the clarity better:
Xr20k8D.jpg

Associate
I got thumped with the full force of ingenuity today and remembered I have one of those pouches to take your phone in the swimming pool so here’s an video showing the pond.

I measured the O2 level on Wednesday evening after the kit arrived - 8mg/l so a sensible level now. I don't know if it was low before adding the air pump. I need to sort the electrics before I can leave the air pump running full time (as I gave it a 3-pin plug for the time being). I think that's everything ticked off in terms of water quality. I don't think there's much more I can do except give them another plant and leave them to it.

It’s not sunny? My mongrels used to love sunbathing head under the lilly pad.

Usually if the fish is feeling upset then they sulks in the bottom of the pond and worse still with fins clamped to their side.

it could be spawning time for the smaller species.
It has been quite sunny and it was overcast on Monday when I saw more movement (which seems awfully coincidental!). However, the fish are hiding at the bottom of the pond under the plant in one of the shaded spots, rather than at surface level. I had been wondering if the extra sun and lack of cover due to clearer water was spooking it.

You may well be right about the smaller fish. Back on Monday one of them was harassing another, chasing it around and bumping into it. They've disappeared to the bottom again since and there a few things that look like they could be eggs floating in the algae.

These fish have survived absolutely fine for over 2 years (since I moved in) without any interference by me (no food provided). They look happy enough under there so I guess I just have to leave them to it and trust them to manage their own lives. Hopefully they'll get back to swimming around soon as they were great to watch for a few days after the initial clean.

Soldato
It has been quite sunny and it was overcast on Monday when I saw more movement (which seems awfully coincidental!). However, the fish are hiding at the bottom of the pond under the plant in one of the shaded spots, rather than at surface level. I had been wondering if the extra sun and lack of cover due to clearer water was spooking it.

You may well be right about the smaller fish. Back on Monday one of them was harassing another, chasing it around and bumping into it. They've disappeared to the bottom again since and there a few things that look like they could be eggs floating in the algae.

These fish have survived absolutely fine for over 2 years (since I moved in) without any interference by me (no food provided). They look happy enough under there so I guess I just have to leave them to it and trust them to manage their own lives. Hopefully they'll get back to swimming around soon as they were great to watch for a few days after the initial clean.

Not an expert on fish or ponds but wouldn't be surprised if its the weather its been a cold spring and the ground hasn't had a chance to warm up much if at all and that goes for any groundwater too fish are sluggish in cold weather

Soldato
Getting there. I've been focusing on rebuilding the lawn by sorting out the soil and then revelling. Should be reseeding today.

EVhoxkT.jpg

The fish seemed to have woken up given the sun has been warming them up. Still getting cold snap nights though.

Associate
We go on hoiliday in a couple of weeks, so gave my filter a good clean and restart with bio yesterday.
Was considering putting some blanket answer in but have decided against it as it isnt bad at all at the moment.
Also slightly concerned that it could block the filters up whilst away for 2 weeks.

Soldato
Yep very wise. I've had two situations where a blocked filter caused almost the loss of all the fish. In fact it's the reason I have only 4 koi. I fitted a floating switch in the pond to cut the pump power in the event the water level dropped.

Earlier in the month the fish were very weary of being seen by me. As I've been working in the garden and feeding them at dawn/dusk they were milling around waiting for the food at the window and even stayed there whilst feeding them this morning.

I tried an orange but they completely ignored it. Ahh well.

Associate
An alternative and perhaps a little OTT is you could setup a camera and have the pond pump connected to a smart plug so you can remotely monitor and cut power if you ran into any problems.

Soldato
Well had my pond in for over a year and nothing much alive in it, well no frogs which is what I would love to have, however I was about to clean some of the fallen leafs out and to my astonishment I found out we have a newt!

Think it's the more common variety one and not the great crested variety.

So chuffed, it's like a second child.

Back
Top Bottom