***The Pond Discussion Thread****

Soldato
What’s the go-to manufacturer for pond filter systems these days?

I inherited a 4500 litre, split level pond with an ancient OASE system which now has a crack in the filter body. UV hadn’t worked in years and the bottom pond used to sit at 170 Volts AC due to some [EXPLETIVE DELETED] booger’s DIY wiring job.

Soldato
What’s the go-to manufacturer for pond filter systems these days?

I inherited a 4500 litre, split level pond with an ancient OASE system which now has a crack in the filter body. UV hadn’t worked in years and the bottom pond used to sit at 170 Volts AC due to some [EXPLETIVE DELETED] booger’s DIY wiring job.

A pressure filter? (canister that the pump pumps into)

OASE is still a widely regarded (and costly) manufacturer. You could go Evolution Aqua EasyPod (5000l max) but is a little more involved. Blagdon do stuff but not my choice.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Finally sorted the protein skimmer out with a new impeller.

Now to go re-wire the UV sterilizer, decided to do a full refurb on it to bring it "back to new".

Sgarrista
Commissario
New quartz, bulb and balast all wired in.

This thing is a true water seralizer so keeps the water in theory good enough to drink

IMG-20220420-151418.jpg

IMG-20220420-151533.jpg

IMG-20220526-133734.jpg

IMG-20220526-133747.jpg

Soldato
A pressure filter? (canister that the pump pumps into)

OASE is still a widely regarded (and costly) manufacturer. You could go Evolution Aqua EasyPod (5000l max) but is a little more involved. Blagdon do stuff but not my choice.

No, a 4500l/h pump in the lower pond feeds a gravity filter (OASE Bio 10?) where the water cascades through two banks of foam filters and out into the upper pond. Filter body probably holds 50 litres of water when the pump is running.

The pond design isn’t great as the filter outflow running into the corner of the upper, kidney shaped pool really close to where the pond empties into the lower pound via a short trough and a waterfall, meaning that the other corner of the upper pond gets very little water circulation.

Soldato
No, a 4500l/h pump in the lower pond feeds a gravity filter (OASE Bio 10?) where the water cascades through two banks of foam filters and out into the upper pond. Filter body probably holds 50 litres of water when the pump is running.

The pond design isn’t great as the filter outflow running into the corner of the upper, kidney shaped pool really close to where the pond empties into the lower pound via a short trough and a waterfall, meaning that the other corner of the upper pond gets very little water circulation.

You could do a drum combo. Drum transformed my pond.

Just looking at the cost of drums :eek: they've gone up: https://www.cotswoldkoi.co.uk/product/draco-drum-medius-combi-unit/ would be an example of good combo for the pond but a little large perhaps. I like Draco - they're made and based in N.Wales.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
Well just watched my koi murder a frog. Didnt watch them do it live but watching the cctv afterwards a frog jumped into the pond, they pounced on it and kept dragging it under the water whenever it tried to get out.

Went down to do evening feed and saw it floating around the bottom.

Savage fish!

Permabanned
Well just watched my koi murder a frog. Didnt watch them do it live but watching the cctv afterwards a frog jumped into the pond, they pounced on it and kept dragging it under the water whenever it tried to get out.

Went down to do evening feed and saw it floating around the bottom.

Savage fish!

Strange behaviour. Normal fish don't do that unless they predators.

Associate
I keep checking my pond on the CCTV.
We are away on a 2 week holiday, first time I have left the filter unattended for that length of time.
Back home from our 2 week holiday today.
Filter was rather clogged up, so just given it a quick clean / rinse through.
Tested levels and some have deteriourated (as expected, with it been left unattended), all fish look happy enough and I can easily get things back to normal again:
PH:8 / NH3:0 / NO2:0.5 / NO3:10 / KH:6 / GH:12

Have done a 10% water change this afternoon, will do a few this week to iron out the above slightly.

Associate
I have noticed that the koi that I nearly lost before Christmas isnt really coming up to eat food.
It is swimming around fine and does come to the surface, but isnt really fighting for any of the food.

I have seen it sucking the side of the pond (6ft deep, fibreglassed) so hopefully getting enough natural food?
Any ideas / anything to worry about?

Soldato
Update - bloomed again in the hot weather, Unsurprising really. Took advantage of the hot weather to give it a couple of coats of paint. Still got some more todo tomorrow

wQUr91Z.jpg

Will be looking at slabs+possible drain for the front of the pond tomorrow. After that I'll concrete under the paving slabs.

Also need to sort out the dissolved organics causing the foam. I will try a DIY protein skimmer using the pipe and bits I have already.

Fed the fish four times today too. They are feeding right in front of me, following me around and getting in the way when cleaning the pond side glass (the garden side glass will get a spay down in due time.

Soldato
I have noticed that the koi that I nearly lost before Christmas isnt really coming up to eat food.
It is swimming around fine and does come to the surface, but isnt really fighting for any of the food.

I have seen it sucking the side of the pond (6ft deep, fibreglassed) so hopefully getting enough natural food?
Any ideas / anything to worry about?

They can suck at things they think of a food, but also they can also suck for oxygen when it’s extremely low.

It may be that it’s hungry or it’s got a repiratory limitation hence wanting oxygen.

Associate
Oxygen is definitely not a problem.
last couple of days it has become a lot more active so seems ok again.
it is starting to fight for the food, I also make sure it does manage to get some.
All of the fish really do go mad for the food.

Back
Top Bottom