1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Post-Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Irish_Tom, 1 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. doodah

Capodecina

Is foie gras even any good?

2. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Not my bag, I generally don't like fatty foods and its about 50% fat by weight

I suppose its tasty(ish), but its not like there aren't loads of other tasty foods that don't involve significant animal cruelty
    A good smooth light pate for example would be far more preferable to fois gras to me

3. doodah

Capodecina

Yeah not sure if I could do that, I go as far as a nice bit of fat on a steak but only with an accompanying bit of meat (not by itself).

Notice how the fastest vaccine rollout sound bites are still on holiday? Like the rates of death, I am sure it's now inappropriate to do comparisons.

4. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

It's extremely delicate and smooth. The fat isn't like that on a steak at all. It (the liver) has a texture like soft butter, and the flavour is .. well.. liver. Like a lot of french cuisine the accompanying sauce/jus is where most of the flavour is and the main component (the foie gras) is there for texture and subtlety.

There is "ethical" foie gras available (the ducks and geese feed naturally on food that is very calorific compared to their usual feed) even in the UK but the lovers of the force fed will turn purple with anger trying to convince you it isn't the same.

e: spells

e2: also just to add that foie gras is a product of "gavage feeding" - literally force fed. That's not just over-fed. The ducks and geese have food literally forced down their throats (usually a hose with liquified food) until their stomachs are near bursting, for at least 12 days before slaughter.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2021
  5. JRS

Capodecina

It really kinda is :o

It isn't the same. It is, however, perfectly nice and a decent enough substitute.

6. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

It's also still debatable if it is actually ethical to have fowl living with livers 4x their normal size :)

7. NickK

Capodecina

The U.K. and other places have been feeding livestock with hormone and chemically enhancing foods for years. There are breeds of beef stock that have problems.

I like it’s but also understand the ethical point of view.

8. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

No they haven't. All countries in the EU banned hormone fed/treated livestock in 1989, and the UK is yet to repeal that.

9. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Oh the irony of Kermit entering this thread with his head so far up where the sun doesn't shine, ready to drop his bomb of an accusation about Remainers always attributing the bad to brexit and the good to not-brexit, only to completely miss the 2 or 3 pages of posts immediately before his post where there's nothing but remainers discussing the one single (al be it absolutely tiny) positive to come out of brexit to date.

10. inogen

Soldato

I hear cocaine is really cheap. Is that a dividend?

11. chrismscotland

Mobster

I see that we've announced a defence agreement between the UK, US and Australia, the biggest part of which seems to be the sharing of nuclear technology to allow them (Australia) access to nuclear powered attack submarines.

I suspect this will only really benefit the US, we can barely build our own subs let alone anyone else's, plenty of dockyards in the US to build them.

I'm honestly a little puzzled why we're so keen to stick our oar in over in the Pacific, we've just been humiliated by a group of lads with camels and kalashnikovs, can you imagine what China would do?

High time we started focusing on the security of the European continent instead of the ridiculous grand stabdienf that we're somehow still relevant globally

12. Mr Badger

Sgarrista

If only there was some sort of official European Union that we could join...

13. Tefal

Capo Crimine

But you only have security if any conflict is half a world away.

If there's fighting in europe itself you're a bit ****ed.

A lot of all the "grand stratagey" stuff is just making sure that no one can push too far, or can actually use violence. Military assets aren't there for fighting in this case they're to keep everyone at the table talking

14. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Surely the remaining 26 can deal with securing their borders without us?

15. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Yes, it's been a disaster for both parties. What's your point?

16. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

America getting pawns in place in case it turns into a shooting match. UK still thinks it is a global power. You are right in that it will benefit America mainly. I suspect any research we are doing will be shared with the Americans instead of developing it ourselves and benefitting from it. Never mind when the Americans develop it they will sell it to us.

17. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

I can't remember who it was that reported it (guardian, beeb, sky, or someone else entirely) but they were a bit more direct with the point: the pact with Aus and US is a direct effort to "deal with China."

Whatever that means, there was little else to it.

18. Freakbro

Capodecina

19. doodah

Capodecina

I swear I only saw a video yesterday on YT where Archie Norman was blaming 'out of date customs procedures' for issues in France, and doing his best to avoid the B word.

Edit - yeah....
    We chose to become a third country.