1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Post-Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Irish_Tom, 1 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. do_ron_ron

Capodecina

2. And

Wise Guy

It didn't make sense full stop.

3. bayo000

Soldato

If we reach that point it would stop most of the immigration and plenty of Brexiteers would consider it a job well done.

4. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

5. joey1211

Mobster

Cue Boris tucking into another fish supper... "We have plenty of chips... hurrah!"

6. Greebo

Caporegime

Pfft who needs these high skilled high paying jobs coming to the UK anyway?

7. jpaul

Capodecina

pertinently, the nvidia ARM buy-out and the loss of jobs/IP is back in the news today - they propose to invest $100m in uk ...
    presumably with a immingration requirement.

yes - just listened https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00108gz 1:35 - guy is disingenuous, or an idiot - what kind of streamlined eu based immigration, to continue business, did he think brexit would provide;
    (forgot to look this am if the frozen turkey section in JS is empty)

Pork farmers, yesterday r4am - suggested a import duty on cheaper labour produced products from abroad should be instituted ... or we need to restore a subsidy.

8. Steampunk

Sgarrista

That's because the majority of Brexiteers (except the rich manipulators on top who know exactly what they are doing) have been conned into believing that getting rid of foreigners will solve all their problems. All those problems have been caused by ten years of the Tories making lives worse, but they've managed to continue to divert the blame towards the EU.

Now we've seen that not only does Brexit not cure all the issues caused by the Tories, it's actually made things worse already (with a lot more coming down the pipeline). Yet (to paraphrase) the Tories continue to lie like the Devil convincing people he doesn't exist, and Brexiteers continue to believe the lies.

9. grudas

Capodecina

On one hand I'd love to feel smug and say "haha project fear turned to project reality" but the way things are going is actually depressing and the fact that some stubborn brexiters are still lapping up the complete pile of poo coming from Tories is insane.

10. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

It could be worse, look at poor Greece! :o

At the time of the vote, and many times since, Brexiters I know have repeatedly told me that they weren't interested in my facts, figures and forecasts because Brexit was "about more than just the economy"…

They don't seem to have grasped that "the economy" affects pretty much everything in our day-to-day lives.

11. NickK

Capodecina

So is Boris the 'Butcher of Britain'?

Seems the BBC has energy and heating soaring price rises splattered over the front page today. I think this winter is going to be very bleak for a large portion of the voting public. Question is will they blame the energy companies or the Tories?

12. grudas

Capodecina

The EU, somehow they'll find a way to blame the EU.

13. bayo000

Soldato

Doesn't matter, it will be forgotten/ people will get used to it by the time the next election is due.

14. 413x

Capodecina

Apart from brexit making things worse and all the tory stuff around that can you really blame. Tories for the energy crisis?

I guess main blame needs to go to lack of spending on energy independence. Nuclear, renewable etc. But apart from that and brexit we are at the mercy of global markets

15. NickK

Capodecina

If France plays stupid with the energy connection to the UK then it will divert the focus to the Frace/EU. When in fact it plays better for France to simply leave it be, and so Boris will not have the excuse to point at France and the EU (although he will sell it as a win over the EU) however the rising costs will simply be due to the global energy market changes and the lack of partners/negotiating strength being outside of the EU.
    If Russia is not afraid of the EU.. then the UK simply has no voice in terms of market value for the Russian energy market.

I know that the US, UK and other countries are attempting to keep China out of the South China Sea due to trade shipping rights plus the large oil/gas reserves there. So what is the UK going todo - prop up it's energy market with gas and gas-derived electricity in the long term? Either the UK goes nuclear or partners with an energy cheap country. France derives most of it's energy from Nuclear power thus it softens it's own liability to Russian energy prices.

16. 413x

Capodecina

We still have our fish though!

17. NickK

Capodecina

I see the broadened prices are going up monthly too.. quelle surprise..

18. Mr Jack

Capodecina

France doesn't give a posh toss what people in the UK think, they care whether the UK lives up to its bargain regarding French fishing boats.

19. chrcoluk

Sgarrista

https://www.techpowerup.com/287574/...reason-for-chip-fab-plans-in-uk-not-an-option

20. NickK

Capodecina

I know that France don't give a ****. They don't need to plus I suspect they would earn more immediate points with the French voter being blunt than being more insidious for the longer term.