‘The Power of MPs’ and ‘Is Your Council as Bad as Mine?’

Associate
...to which you are not under any obligation to lawfully accept. ;) (just don't ignore it)

Just to correct you (and I appreciate your reply may have been in jest), you don't have to physically accept a Court summons for it to be served.

It can be served in three ways.

a) by delivering it to the person to whom it is directed in person

or

(b) by leaving it for him/her with some person at his/her last known or usual place of abode;

or

(c) by sending it by post in a letter addressed to him/her at his/her last known or usual place of abode

Man of Honour
Seems the top level councillors at local councils get entrenched and used to being their own authority/think they are better than the rest.

I did IT support for my local district council many years ago and there was a very strange disconnect between the rank and file and those at that top, to the point the top floor of the building externally and internally was a totally different color and decoration style and at one point they even emptied out the entire floor immediatly below to make it more obvious there was a distinction.

Accusations of corruption and backhands are rife and been loads of problems with the last few chief executives (basically marginalised/pushed out by leading councillor(s)).

Whole things seems a bit of a joke.

Man of Honour
Which council?

Doesn't make a lot of difference: they're all bent, and the only thing which divides them is the exact nature of the local corruption. No matter where you are, pretty much everything is done with the proverbial nod-and-wink over a game of golf or similar. It's seldom as blatant as giving of brown envelopes, but mutual back-scratching is rife. Private Eye's ongoing column on local politics is always a hoot.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
go to the next council meeting, ask your questions and video their response. hopefully it forces them to actually answer and if not forward it on to the local gov office and the odd national news paper.

Soldato
OP
Seems the top level councillors at local councils get entrenched and used to being their own authority/think they are better than the rest.

I did IT support for my local district council many years ago and there was a very strange disconnect between the rank and file and those at that top, to the point the top floor of the building externally and internally was a totally different color and decoration style and at one point they even emptied out the entire floor immediatly below to make it more obvious there was a distinction.

Accusations of corruption and backhands are rife and been loads of problems with the last few chief executives (basically marginalised/pushed out by leading councillor(s)).

Whole things seems a bit of a joke.

From what I've read about the councillors online, it seems to be the case here too. Part of the problem is that 90% of the councillors are Torys, so are basically immovable. This makes them feel untouchable and they do whatever they want.

Soldato
From what I've read about the councillors online, it seems to be the case here too. Part of the problem is that 90% of the councillors are Torys, so are basically immovable. This makes them feel untouchable and they do whatever they want.

If they have refused to reply and/or look at your issues...THEN they ignore the MP go to the press

Soldato
Your government - even at local level. Does not give a toss about you.

The only reason people get into politics nowadays is because the expense accounts are big and the influence is good for business.

Soldato
An MP does not have authority in terms of local government. Obviously an MP is an important person, so most local councils will treat them accordingly, but if it's a Tory MP and a Labour Council, they might not have any interest in helping the MP.

As others have said, go to the media.

The only reason people get into politics nowadays is because the expense accounts are big and the influence is good for business.

I really don't believe that. I think some people go into politics for the wrong reasons, but most have good intentions. The big problem with local councils is that they often have the wrong priorities, and when they do have the right ones, they lack empathy with those who their decisions impact.

Last edited:
Soldato
Find out where this douche of ultimate baggery lives, then organize an OCUK meet/donation of old desktop PCs.

Build a massive wall out of old desktop PCs and GD forumites, thereby blocking access to his property (if he has more than one property, then poop through letterboxes will be required)

When he confronts us, we shall stand strong, with a keyboard in one hand, and a fist under chin in the other! OO RAH

Soldato
Find out where this douche of ultimate baggery lives, then organize an OCUK meet/donation of old desktop PCs.

Build a massive wall out of old desktop PCs and GD forumites, thereby blocking access to his property (if he has more than one property, then poop through letterboxes will be required)

When he confronts us, we shall stand strong, with a keyboard in one hand, and a fist under chin in the other! OO RAH

Lol...he's going to be scared out of his wits when a turtle turns up at his door.

Soldato
I really don't believe that. I think some people go into politics for the wrong reasons, but most have good intentions. The big problem with local councils is that they often have the wrong priorities, and when they do have the right ones, they lack empathy with those who their decisions impact.

You're incredibly naive.

The people who get into politics to help others are often left on the backbench by the hoards who get into politics to benefit themselves and their funny handshake buddies.

This is because the latter have far more money, contacts and influence.

Caporegime
The MP for here was decent until the Libdems got into power, after which Julian Hupert moved (out of my road as it happens) to a much fancier house in one of the outlying villages, and stopped responding usefully to letters, only making appearances or supporting causes that will get him a good photo opportunity in the newspaper.

Soldato

:rolleyes:

Especially at local level the pay is not good, and the expenses are non-existent. Shows how much you actually know about this, and yet you're the one calling people naive.

You're incredibly naive.

The people who get into politics to help others are often left on the backbench by the hoards who get into politics to benefit themselves and their funny handshake buddies.

This is because the latter have far more money, contacts and influence.

Sure, you get some that go in for the wrong reasons. But the majority are not those.

Last edited:
Associate
This sounds exactly like something our great Stoke On Trent City Council would do. The Council and area is constantly voted 'worst' in every imaginable survey.

Soldato
Wow!? Do you live near me? I've tried emailing my councillor for my parish before, and he didn't even bother replying. I heard nothing from him. The problem is, you can't even rely on the other party representatives getting in and ousting him because they are having to rely on on mates to sign them on to the ballot. They don't even have enough party members to do that for them! :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom