• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The price of graphics cards will continue to tank and will stay low for at least 2 years - Here's why

Soldato
Sales volumes were probably pretty good back in 2018 once prices reduced. I think this time prices will fall and sales will be low too. That will be mainly because the cost of living is out of control. Do you agree with that?

I don't agree that prices will fall below their pre-pandemic levels. At best, they'll match their pre-pandemic levels but that's a stretch because shipping has gone up.

Nvidia cuts costs because of over stock. They currently have too many higher tier cards so they're cutting prices. If people stop buying higher tier cards because of the economy, then Nvidia will make less higher tier cards. People will just buy lower tiers.

Why would Nvidia make tons of higher tier cards and sell them cheap?

Man of Honour
I don't agree that prices will fall below their pre-pandemic levels. At best, they'll match their pre-pandemic levels but that's a stretch because shipping has gone up.

Nvidia cuts costs because of over stock. They currently have too many higher tier cards so they're cutting prices. If people stop buying higher tier cards because of the economy, then Nvidia will make less higher tier cards. People will just buy lower tiers.

Why would Nvidia make tons of higher tier cards and sell them cheap?

I think they will, GPUs are still about 30% overpriced and unless nvidia and AMD push their release schedule way back, retailers are stuffed. I expect you're right about high-end cards though, can't imagine they'll be making many 4090s.

Soldato
I think they will, GPUs are still about 30% overpriced and unless nvidia and AMD push their release schedule way back, retailers are stuffed. I expect you're right about high-end cards though, can't imagine they'll be making many 4090s.

Yes I agree. We're no where near pre-pandemic prices. 30% lower prices should bring things back to normal.

Soldato
I have a well paid job and am seeing a lot higher bills than previous years but luckily I still have disposable income. I paid MSRP for a 3080FE over a year ago and am already planning on not replacing it at all due to costs.

For the first time in over a decade I have just felt jaded with the massive price hikes for little gain. We have seen price performance regress for too long now. So if we see the 4080 being more expensive for 50% extra performance, then not interested.

Ironically all the people who thought the 3080TI was a good price will think the replacement will be a great deal. Sorry if you bought one but you were dry humped and were played like a fiddle by Jensen. Remember when he convinced all the mugs that the 3080 was the real flagship?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
Remember when he convinced all the mugs that the 3080 was the real flagship?
Surely Jensen is their friend?

Plus, he did say the more you buy the more you save

Therefore those you bought a 3080, and then a 3080 Ti, and then a 3090, and then 3090 Ti* not only contributed to your favourite companies coffers they also saved more!

*Order of card release changed for dramatic effect.

Associate
Nvidia will have to eventually drop prices as the 1060 is starting to get too weak to play modern games and not having a decent improvement in the same price bracket is going to make people either drop the hobby or move to consoles.
Ironically AMD could play the waiting game better as people wanting to game on the cheap would either try to play on an APU or switch to console, both of which are firmly in their grasp, although margins would definitely suffer.

Until the market is going to get serious improvements at the $200-$300 price bracket the bulk will remain stagnant on Pascal-era.

Soldato
There will be a general tightening of belts in the next year or so. The real effects haven't really kicked in yet. Wait until mortgages have to be renewed on higher rates, lines of credit dry up and and savings used up. High ticket luxury items across the board will suffer and more affordable options will be where the sales are. I based my finances around this kind of downturn, smaller mortgage, fixed rates and minimal borrowing. Most people I know, not just the average earners the higher ones too, haven't planned ahead and are shocked by the rise in the cost of living.

Associate
All wrong or Nvidia were leaking to try things out. If they fear RDNA3 will be very strong and they have to push clocks, then they have to test the waters. Not that they'd be able to change the reference and AIB designs from being able to cope with 300W and then expecting 400W. Well not without getting so many bad reviews that even Nvidia won't be able to push the narrative.

Another factor is that 5nm is expensive so in terms of perf/die area clocking high makes sense.

Speaking of strange threads and everything being fine, where is the "Does RTX 3090 have too much VRAM" thread!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I don't think Nvidia slashed the power draw. It's more likely the original "leaks" were all wrong as usual.

I didnt really buy the 'leaks' I was more into the way nvidia changed the power connector design, and their dry run of the 3090Ti. That was alarming. You do want the lower sku's to stay efficient so hopefully they are. The only people that look silly mentioning 600/800w are the leakers and their 'sources'.

Associate
There will be a general tightening of belts in the next year or so. The real effects haven't really kicked in yet. Wait until mortgages have to be renewed on higher rates, lines of credit dry up and and savings used up. High ticket luxury items across the board will suffer and more affordable options will be where the sales are. I based my finances around this kind of downturn, smaller mortgage, fixed rates and minimal borrowing. Most people I know, not just the average earners the higher ones too, haven't planned ahead and are shocked by the rise in the cost of living.

This is exactly right, things are going to get very very hard in the next couple of years even for those people with good incomes but who borrowed to the limit for the nicest house they could get on the premise that house prices always go up, and interest rates stay low.

For those families living month to month on their pay it's going to be horrendous, many of whom will simply not buy a mid-range GPU upgrade when the old one still works fine.

Soldato
most people are likely only gaming a couple of hours a day anyway

game during the night and save your self 25p every 2 hours then.

or you mean because you won't have any money after electric costs rise?
My off peak rate is 12:30am to 04:30am, i don't think i'll be gaming at this time of night when i have work the next day :cry:.

Associate
A year ago mine was 14p kw/h peak 4p off peak, the thought of paying 80p peak is utterly mind boggling.

No one in their right minds will take that fix the OP posted though, they will just go on a price capped tariff which is currently capped around 28p or so. The trouble is this will rise in Oct allegedly up about +70% to ~47p. Which in itself is something I wouldn't believe I would see for decades.

Associate
OP
No one in their right minds will take that fix the OP posted though, they will just go on a price capped tariff which is currently capped around 28p or so. The trouble is this will rise in Oct allegedly up about +70% to ~47p. Which in itself is something I wouldn't believe I would see for decades.

There aren't any price capped tariff's available for 28p for people renewing. The best price I could get yesterday was 40p. That will be at least 60p by October. My estimated energy bill for this coming year is over £3000 for an average sized 3 bedroom house with 2 adults and one 6 year old.

Soldato
That's coming to an end (apart from high shipping) so prices are returning to normal. Before the pandemic, the low end cost about £150 for a RX 580. Those prices will be back to normal. Not because of energy prices though. It was always inevitable prices will drop because it's happened after EVERY mining craze.

Funnily enough, the current low-end GPU, the Intel A380 will cost about £150.

Back
Top Bottom