• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6800 (XT) Owners Thread.

Caporegime
No it isn't, but it should be better for you I agree. Mine was absolutely fine and booted correctly first time so it's not all doom and gloom (48" OLED via HDMI).

Sometimes it can be cable related.

Caporegime
Yeah it might be a cable issue, I use this one;

UGREEN HDMI Cable 2.1 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz 48Gbps Ultra High Speed UHD Dolby Vision HDR eARC Dolby Atmos HDCP 2.2 Video Lead Compatible with PS5 PS4 Xbox One TV Switch DVD Monitor Soundbar (2M)

You'll need to Google the full description to find it, £17.99.

Permabanned
Yeah it might be a cable issue, I use this one;

UGREEN HDMI Cable 2.1 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz 48Gbps Ultra High Speed UHD Dolby Vision HDR eARC Dolby Atmos HDCP 2.2 Video Lead Compatible with PS5 PS4 Xbox One TV Switch DVD Monitor Soundbar (2M)

You'll need to Google the full description to find it, £17.99.

My bad it's a 2.1 4k/8k cable been using it with the 3080 for 4k 120hz and never experienced any issues.

Permabanned
Machine
Intel Core i9 CPU, Gigabyte Motherboard , Gigabyte 6800XT, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 750w Gigabyte Gold PSU, using 65" OLED as Screen. This works well with 3080 when I used that card.
The card itself looks stunning and the cooling is amazing! Hands down better cooling than Nvidia on the VRAM (Shame on Nvidia)

Problem
So the card will show the bios pretty much consistently. Then 1second after it posts a black screen. On 1 out if 15 attempts, it will post into Windows 10. Two times I've managed to get in to Windows 10 after pressing F8, but it was some kind of low resolution mode (Driver Uinstaller was used but said it was not safe mode).

Questions & Answers
  • I have not tried a fresh install, as it might black screen on the reboot.
  • How can I get this to work?

Associate
Hi guys, been using my refrence 6800XT with EKWB in custom loop on its "default" preset for its entire life since purchasing and gaming every other day Cod CW, My Core temp is around 60c and junction always sits around 90c....Just for refrence whats everyones Junction on either air or water?

Just for info im currently running a Samsung UW C49RG90 5120x1440 10bit 100Hz with games settings on max.

Thanks

Associate
Hi guys, been using my refrence 6800XT with EKWB in custom loop on its "default" preset for its entire life since purchasing and gaming every other day Cod CW, My Core temp is around 60c and junction always sits around 90c....Just for refrence whats everyones Junction on either air or water?

Just for info im currently running a Samsung UW C49RG90 5120x1440 10bit 100Hz with games settings on max.

Thanks

On a Quantum Vector block my heavily overclocked (2.7Ghz drawing 370w) 6800XT is around 50-55 degrees on full load either in games/benchmarks and the hotspot temp is around 70-75.

Associate
On a Quantum Vector block my heavily overclocked (2.7Ghz drawing 370w) 6800XT is around 50-55 degrees on full load either in games/benchmarks and the hotspot temp is around 70-75.

Thanks thats a godly 6800XT then wow. Something isnt quite right with mine then at default preset. I'll have another game seesion later and see what I get.

What are your resolutions and settings when gaming? Im thinking the card is really being pushed at 5120x1440 100Hz so the reasoning behind my higher hot spot?

Associate
Thanks thats a godly 6800XT then wow. Something isnt quite right with mine then at default preset. I'll have another game seesion later and see what I get.

What are your resolutions and settings when gaming? I'm thinking the card is really being pushed at 5120x1440 100Hz so the reasoning behind my higher hot spot?

I usually game at 2560x1440 with all settings maxxed out. I played Metro Exodus (Enhanced Edition) the other day and was hitting around 330w (+ board power) and was getting quite toasty at 56 degrees, with a hotspot of 80. I'm pretty sure some of the disparity in temps between the edge and hotspot can be attributed to the application of the thermal paste/liquid metal on the GPU die. I've heard of people that had a 30 degree delta between the two, and managed to get it down to around 10-15 degrees by re-applying their paste/liquid metal and making a more even contact with the block.

Soldato
Machine
Intel Core i9 CPU, Gigabyte Motherboard , Gigabyte 6800XT, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 750w Gigabyte Gold PSU, using 65" OLED as Screen. This works well with 3080 when I used that card.
The card itself looks stunning and the cooling is amazing! Hands down better cooling than Nvidia on the VRAM (Shame on Nvidia)

Problem
So the card will show the bios pretty much consistently. Then 1second after it posts a black screen. On 1 out if 15 attempts, it will post into Windows 10. Two times I've managed to get in to Windows 10 after pressing F8, but it was some kind of low resolution mode (Driver Uinstaller was used but said it was not safe mode).

Questions & Answers
  • I have not tried a fresh install, as it might black screen on the reboot.
  • How can I get this to work?

Try a linux live boot disk, If it's fine in Linux then you will know it's not a hardware issue
https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/kde/

Permabanned
Try a linux live boot disk, If it's fine in Linux then you will know it's not a hardware issue
https://manjaro.org/downloads/official/kde/

Very Disappointed , they have indeed sent me a card that's not working :mad: .

I have tried the card on another MSI motherboard that has onboard graphics and it is behaving similar. This time, it does not even show the Bios screen.

As soon as I plug into the motherboards onboard graphics port it shows an image and goes into the bios.

I even put my rtx 3080 into both motherboards and it booted 1st time everytime.

I have to send it back but the cost is crazy as I already paid postage and to send it back will now cost £50 plus :mad:

Soldato
Very Disappointed , they have indeed sent me a card that's not working :mad: .

I have tried the card on another MSI motherboard that has onboard graphics and it is behaving similar. This time, it does not even show the Bios screen.

As soon as I plug into the motherboards onboard graphics port it shows an image and goes into the bios.

I even put my rtx 3080 into both motherboards and it booted 1st time everytime.

I have to send it back but the cost is crazy as I already paid postage and to send it back will now cost £50 plus :mad:

Guess no show with the boot disc either, Unlucky :( Also not certain on time for replacement either I bet!

Raz

Raz

Soldato
So, I managed to get a new job and had the opportunity to buy a MSI 6800 xt gaming x trio to replace a 6700xt.

Runs fine but I'm hoping to tweak it to reduce temps through undervolting. Already hit a snag though - can't control the fan speed! Any manual curve I set doesn't make much of a difference. At 45c GPU temp the fan hits up to 70%, and it hovers around 55% at 40c, which is quite loud. Am I missing something?

I'm using the Radeon software by the way.

Associate
Thanks for the replies above guys I think I've sorted it for now. I've left all the settings as they are under default preset and then set a manual under volt to 1.1v Seems to be stable and dropped temps considerably! So a quick test this morning I was getting Hot spot 60-65c the odd blip to 70c. Core temps sit around 40c-50c. Water temp about 32c. Ambient is a bit cooler this morning. It still boosts perfectly fine too. Still a bit more testing for stability but happy with that for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom