• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
Ooh, I thought you were getting a Toxic Extreme Edition, not the Limited Edition.

The Limited Edition has a lower clock speed due to the die not being binned like the Extreme Edition, less available voltage for overclocking and lower power limits.

Not to worry though, we can adjust the latter with MPT. It sounds to me like you are power limited and that's why your score is not going up.

Follow my guide here and see if it helps with a higher score.

I thought I was too, but decided on just getting the limited, and save 200 quid.

Caporegime
Think I've managed to sort the issue, using MPT I wasn't aware that I had to select my card from the drop down list, so hitting write wasn't doing anything.
Working now, hitting a wall though at about 2720 core 2100 memory.
I thought I was too, but decided on just getting the limited, and save 200 quid.
Furry muff. That sounds about right then for an XTX die on average.

Extreme Edition gets you another 75-175Mhz on the core generally speaking.

Soldato
Yeah I'm happy with it, massive upgrade from the 2070s.
Does increasing the core voltage help at all on these using MPT?

So far I've followed your settings, 450w, 425tdc and 60soc, %15 PL is giving me about 480w under load in timespy.
Memory wise max really so far is 2100mhz, anything more than that causes instability and crashes during benching.
Thanks for the help with this matt it's much appreciated, definitely need to upgrade the cpu platform now, just struggling to decide on amd or Intel, I do like the idea of having an all AMD system, SAM etc. I just don't want to upgrade now and then have new releases in Q1 and wish I'd waited.

Caporegime
Yeah I'm happy with it, massive upgrade from the 2070s.
Does increasing the core voltage help at all on these using MPT?

So far I've followed your settings, 450w, 425tdc and 60soc, %15 PL is giving me about 480w under load in timespy.
Memory wise max really so far is 2100mhz, anything more than that causes instability and crashes during benching.
Thanks for the help with this matt it's much appreciated, definitely need to upgrade the cpu platform now, just struggling to decide on amd or Intel, I do like the idea of having an all AMD system, SAM etc. I just don't want to upgrade now and then have new releases in Q1 and wish I'd waited.
You can increase voltage with MPT, however you have to do it in a specific way (or the clock speeds get locked to 500Mhz) and when you do it, the voltage is locked at that level. Eg if you set 1.25v, it will stay at 1.25v until you remove MPT settings or reinstall the driver. Good chance of killing the card if you do not know what you are doing.

Unless you are going for benchmarks, it is not worth it. You paid your money you takes ya choice, XTX or XTXH. You choose the former so my advice would just be to use the default voltage.

Hold off for Ryzen with VCache would be my advice if you don't want to buy now and then sell on next year.

For sure your current CPU is a big bottleneck, but if you can hold on a bit you'll be able to switch to the fastest AMD CPU out there and you'll get Smart Access Memory which is another 5-15% performance in most games out there.

Soldato
Rgr that cheers bud, think I'll hold off then for now and see how things look in a month or two.
I've been playing bf2042 and all seems stable at 2700/2100 so I'll stick to that for 24/7 profile, temps are fantastic with the toxic which is nice.
Is there a max safe voltage for these?

Caporegime
Rgr that cheers bud, think I'll hold off then for now and see how things look in a month or two.
I've been playing bf2042 and all seems stable at 2700/2100 so I'll stick to that for 24/7 profile, temps are fantastic with the toxic which is nice.
Is there a max safe voltage for these?
You are welcome mate.

Max safe voltage is 1.175v for XTX and 1.2v for XTXH.

Yes Toxic is the best cooled 6900 XT out there outside of true water cooling blocks.

Soldato
It's worse with the Quest 2. Not VR in general. PCVR on the Quest 2 is done by encoding the game and streaming it over USB.

Thats not quite true though. PCVR and Quest 2 can also be done via WIFI wirelessly. Only going on when I had my Quest 1 but I preferred it over WIFI to USB and I had a RTX 2080 then. eg completed Half Life - Alyx mostly in our kitchen but also did a bit of atmos vr outside at night when it was colder in the garden. Really added to it there ! :) There is also a lot of settings you can tinker with to improve it over USB and WIFI.

Be interesting as I've got the Quest 2 waiting to be set up in its box for Xmas for the kids which I`m planning to do next week so be good to see how Virtual Desktop and Airlink do for PC to Quest 2 VR wirelessly.

Soldato
Thats not quite true though. PCVR and Quest 2 can also be done via WIFI wirelessly. Only going on when I had my Quest 1 but I preferred it over WIFI to USB and I had a RTX 2080 then. eg completed Half Life - Alyx mostly in our kitchen but also did a bit of atmos vr outside at night when it was colder in the garden. Really added to it there ! :) There is also a lot of settings you can tinker with to improve it over USB and WIFI.

Be interesting as I've got the Quest 2 waiting to be set up in its box for Xmas for the kids which I`m planning to do next week so be good to see how Virtual Desktop and Airlink do for PC to Quest 2 VR wirelessly.

Oh, I see the problem, I didn't finish my post. I meant to say.

It's worse with the Quest 2. Not VR in general. PCVR on the Quest 2 is done by encoding the game and streaming it over USB or Wifi.

Will correct it now.

Thanks for your post but you should check out the Virtual Reality section of the forum, you will see many posts from me helping people setup their Quest 2 with Virtual desktop/airlink/link and advising them on settings etc. I might not know much but I do know how to get the best out of the Quest 2. :) So I can help you out when you are tying to setup your Quest 2 next week :)

ON Airlink or Link the 6900XT looks worse than 2070 Super. That's because Oculus use the H.264 codec which AMD GPUs are not good at. However in Virtual Desktop you can pick the codec that the GPU uses, and AMD is much better at HEVC encoding. But, in direct comparison between my 2070 Super and my 6900xt I think the 2070 Super looks better. I have upgraded my CPU and will compare again afterwards.

And that's my first piece of advice for you :) if you are going to be connecting the Quest 2 to the PC in your signature, get Virtual Desktop. It looks so much better than Airlink.

Associate
Oh, I see the problem, I didn't finish my post. I meant to say.

Will correct it now.

Thanks for your post but you should check out the Virtual Reality section of the forum, you will see many posts from me helping people setup their Quest 2 with Virtual desktop/airlink/link and advising them on settings etc. I might not know much but I do know how to get the best out of the Quest 2. :) So I can help you out when you are tying to setup your Quest 2 next week :)

ON Airlink or Link the 6900XT looks worse than 2070 Super. That's because Oculus use the H.264 codec which AMD GPUs are not good at. However in Virtual Desktop you can pick the codec that the GPU uses, and AMD is much better at HEVC encoding. But, in direct comparison between my 2070 Super and my 6900xt I think the 2070 Super looks better. I have upgraded my CPU and will compare again afterwards.

And that's my first piece of advice for you :) if you are going to be connecting the Quest 2 to the PC in your signature, get Virtual Desktop. It looks so much better than Airlink.

I have not tested my Quest 2 with my 6900XT, so it's something I'll test soon. I've only used Quest 2 with my 3080Ti. (the 6900XT is in bedroom rig 1440@165hz, & 3080Ti is in family room with 4K TV and Quest 2).

I AGREE Virtual Desktop is much smoother than Airlink. I got sooo carsick trying to play Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR with Steam using Airlink that I couldn't play for days!

Caporegime
I repasted my Toxic again with Silver King Liquid Metal and I got my delta between Edge and Junction temperature down to 5-7c peak under 350-400W load. Absolutely delighted with that outcome. :cool:

Soldato

Thanks for the advice I always favoured Virtual Desktop over any other solution that was out there with the Quest 1 and did a bit of alpha/beta testing of versions so it will be good to connect with the dev again and see if they are still as active
as they were back then. Like I said I was in the other camp back then so be interesting to see what AMD bring.

My "benchmark" was always Trials of Tattooine if you can get good framerates from that then your setup will handle pretty much anything.

Soldato
In the grand scheme of things, the 6900xt seems to be around £1250 at a lot of shops at the moment which seems pretty good value..As low as £1229, cheaper than a lot of places are selling 6800xt's for, pricing for those seems way off.

I'm tempted!

Soldato
I have not tested my Quest 2 with my 6900XT, so it's something I'll test soon. I've only used Quest 2 with my 3080Ti. (the 6900XT is in bedroom rig 1440@165hz, & 3080Ti is in family room with 4K TV and Quest 2).

I AGREE Virtual Desktop is much smoother than Airlink. I got sooo carsick trying to play Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR with Steam using Airlink that I couldn't play for days!

I will be interested to hear how you get on with your 6900xt vs the 3080Ti with the Quest 2. (two nice computer setups!!)

In fairness to Airlink it is still in the experimental stage and it is getting better with each update.

Thanks for the advice I always favoured Virtual Desktop over any other solution that was out there with the Quest 1 and did a bit of alpha/beta testing of versions so it will be good to connect with the dev again and see if they are still as active
as they were back then. Like I said I was in the other camp back then so be interesting to see what AMD bring.

My "benchmark" was always Trials of Tattooine if you can get good framerates from that then your setup will handle pretty much anything.

Before Airlink came out this year, you really had nothing else only ALVR or AMD Relive for the Quest. Both were and still are terrible compared to Virtual desktop. The Dev of Virtual desktop is still active. He is still bringing new features and fixes to Virtual desktop. He has setup a discord channel and is always willing to help out.

Yeah, I was always in the AMD camp until I got into VR when it became clear that Nvidia gave a much better VR experience. AMD have mostly caught up now though with the 6000 series apart from their H.264 encoder :(

Back
Top Bottom