• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
I think I might have to for the flickering issue with freesync on games flicker with it off they are fine.
Do you have enhanced sync enabled by any chance? I just saw some flickering in Vanguard with Enhanced Sync + FreeSync on. Disabled the former and no issues now.

Yes please file a ticket with steps to reproduce and include anything you've toggled on, plus affected game/s.

Associate
How are the MSI Radeon RX 6900 XT GAMING Z TRIO owners finding the GPU?
I like it, it seemed like a good buy at the price for just under £1200 don't know why it's cheaper than other cards as it seems to have a higher clock speed out the box too. Maybe I'm missing something? It's taking some time getting my head round the settings having not had an amd card since running a pair of 290 tri x.
I'm only really playing fortnite with my kid which is quite a bit faster and no issues to report at all and forza at the moment and the biggest bug bear is the long loading times like when buying a car with a black screen and the white circle spinning bottom right hand side. Also I can't help thinking the smoke off other cars tyres and the red smoke checkpoints looks bad compared to my 3080. Definitely something going on there.

Associate
I like it, it seemed like a good buy at the price for just under £1200 don't know why it's cheaper than other cards as it seems to have a higher clock speed out the box too. Maybe I'm missing something? It's taking some time getting my head round the settings having not had an amd card since running a pair of 290 tri x.
I'm only really playing fortnite with my kid which is quite a bit faster and no issues to report at all and forza at the moment and the biggest bug bear is the long loading times like when buying a car with a black screen and the white circle spinning bottom right hand side. Also I can't help thinking the smoke off other cars tyres and the red smoke checkpoints looks bad compared to my 3080. Definitely something going on there.

Gaming Z is using better binned chip XTXH, that is why clock speed is a bit higher. Good price for current market but seem have a lot of cards returned too, the shop now have 5 ex display gaming z cards for sales.

Some reviews reported this card can have large delta temperature. Not sure due to the cooler mounting or the chip itself.

Caporegime
Gaming Z is using better binned chip XTXH, that is why clock speed is a bit higher. Good price for current market but seem have a lot of cards returned too, the shop now have 5 ex display gaming z cards for sales.

Some reviews reported this card can have large delta temperature. Not sure due to the cooler mounting or the chip itself.

RGB looks nice on the MSI.

I am curious to see what delta you see when running say Timespy at maximum power limit. :)

Associate
RGB looks nice on the MSI.

I am curious to see what delta you see when running say Timespy at maximum power limit. :)
I ran it 3 times with full power and the hot spot was hitting 100c also gpuz in fortnite wotout it at full power just normal and it was still touching 100c which is a bit worrying to say the least being that it's winter. Think Im going to return this card and get the red devil or look about for a 3080ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now I know why this was priced so much lower than all the others. :p
Probably one to avoid as it will be forever throttling.
Great. Come back to AMD and I pick a lemon!

Can’t say I’ve noticed high temps but I’ll keep an eye on it. May be a QA issue rather than a systemic design issue?

My 3090 after all, did run with a vr temp over 100c regularly.

Caporegime
Great. Come back to AMD and I pick a lemon!

Can’t say I’ve noticed high temps but I’ll keep an eye on it. May be a QA issue rather than a systemic design issue?

My 3090 after all, did run with a vr temp over 100c regularly.
Yes might not be bad on all GPUs, as long as it’s working fine for you I would not worry too much.

Caporegime
Well I just ran Timespy with the card on default (no undervolt). My GPU peaked at 63c with the junction temp hitting 86c. I did read AMD spec is up to 110c :D
It's 95c for the XTXH model. It's 110c for the XTX model. Yours is XTXH. Still, your Delta looks okay.

However, for some reason Powercolor's 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate, which is XTXH, has a 110c limt. No one knows why, but fair play to Powercolor. :)

Soldato
Do you have enhanced sync enabled by any chance? I just saw some flickering in Vanguard with Enhanced Sync + FreeSync on. Disabled the former and no issues now.

Yes please file a ticket with steps to reproduce and include anything you've toggled on, plus affected game/s.

No I had enhanced sync off

It's 95c for the XTXH model. It's 110c for the XTX model. Yours is XTXH. Still, your Delta looks okay.

However, for some reason Powercolor's 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate, which is XTXH, has a 110c limt. No one knows why, but fair play to Powercolor. :)

I can vouch for that is true.

Soldato
Just ran the Timespy stress test @ 3440 x 1440.

GPU max temp was 73c, hotspot temp was 96c.

Not sure whether to return the card while I still can and get the Sapphire Nitro+ OC SE or keep it and avoid the hassle and extra cost?

I’ve read of Sapphire cards having high hotspot temps also.

Associate

Not sure whether to return the card while I still can and get the Sapphire Nitro+ OC SE or keep it and avoid the hassle and extra cost?

I didn't want to gamble on the Gaming Z and went for a liquid cool AIO card. Tried to run Timespy stress test a few times but PC froze every single time.

Ran Valley for 20 mins, GPU max 62c, Hotspot max 76c, memory junction max 72c with fans running at around 45%/

If set the fans running at minimum 30%, GPU 72c, hotspot 86c.

Soldato
I didn't want to gamble on the Gaming Z and went for a liquid cool AIO card. Tried to run Timespy stress test a few times but PC froze every single time.

Ran Valley for 20 mins, GPU max 62c, Hotspot max 76c, memory junction max 72c with fans running at around 45%/

If set the fans running at minimum 30%, GPU 72c, hotspot 86c.
I've just ran the same and my card maxed out at 72c GPU and 95c on the hotspot. That's with all default settings. I usually run a slight undervolt and drop the clocks slightly (2300MHz) as I'm running in a SFF case.

Associate

Yeah, my first Saphire nitro+ 6900 XT would have GPU temps at 70-75° with a hotspot running 105 to 110°. This was at +15 in the Radeon software without touching the power limit, so it was hitting 303 W and it was running fine, except that it was replaced because an RGB header pin broke off. I got my replacement card last week, before leaving for a trip, so I should be able to install it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom