• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Soldato
I can see one issue from the picture. You are going in the wrong side to the GPU. If you are going in the bottom right, it would need to be bottom left and top right to go the correct way though the block.

@Matutu I've not done water cooling for years but just a question why would you run two radiators in series ? Would it not be better to go GPU > Radiator > CPU > Radiator as surely you've got hot liquid going straight to the CPU from the GPU, assuming its flowing that way round ?

Associate
@Matutu I've not done water cooling for years but just a question why would you run two radiators in series ? Would it not be better to go GPU > Radiator > CPU > Radiator as surely you've got hot liquid going straight to the CPU from the GPU, assuming its flowing that way round ?
I really doesn't make any differnece. Least amount of tubing is better as it can't be cooled in a tube lol.
My Loop is Pump>360>360>GPU>120>CPU>360>Pump.

Associate
I watched quite a few JayzTwoCent videos about that subject and he did abit of testing and found that it made very little difference. Obviously the heat picked up from the GPU which then hits the CPU is only going to be approx 2-3c higher within the coolant.

Soldato
Makes ZERO difference as it's the overall temperature of the loop you can order them how you want, once you've been gaming/benhcing for 20 minutes you'll be at a thermal plateux anyway where the water temp is X degrees... so it makes no odds in the order that you do these things... the important think it having enough radiator to reduce the thermals and getting the flow right with the amount of fans... I find that if I max my flow it's not as cool under load as 75% setting so that's where I settled. So many variables in water loops as well... amount of bends, length of loop, how many rads you have restricting the flow etc... the order you put things in make diddly difference.

However my loop goes:

BLOCK > RAD > GPU > RAD > RAD > CPU > BLOCK

Soldato
Makes ZERO difference as it's the overall temperature of the loop you can order them how you want, once you've been gaming/benhcing for 20 minutes you'll be at a thermal plateux anyway where the water temp is X degrees... so it makes no odds in the order that you do these things... the important think it having enough radiator to reduce the thermals and getting the flow right with the amount of fans... I find that if I max my flow it's not as cool under load as 75% setting so that's where I settled. So many variables in water loops as well... amount of bends, length of loop, how many rads you have restricting the flow etc... the order you put things in make diddly difference.

However my loop goes:

BLOCK > RAD > GPU > RAD > RAD > CPU > BLOCK

I wont add anymore as its gone off topic and it was only a passing query (mainly as I was a bit tempted to watercool my son's PC) but it makes me laugh again you say it also makes no difference but you have two radiators between GPU and CPU. I reckon if we did some kind of poll the majority would have a radiator between CPU and GPU. ;)

It's a masterpiece lol. Took a week to get it to work and on paper a 120mm radiator doesn't even fit at the rear!
Have a look on page 187 post #3722.

Its pretty good going in a tiny case.

Soldato
I wont add anymore as its gone off topic and it was only a passing query (mainly as I was a bit tempted to watercool my son's PC) but it makes me laugh again you say it also makes no difference but you have two radiators between GPU and CPU. I reckon if we did some kind of poll the majority would have a radiator between CPU and GPU. ;)

Literally because that's the way the build is, there are no other ways to fit 3 rads in the Lian Li case but I didn't put them there on purpose, it's simply because when it comes out of the GPU it goes up the top of the case and it happens I have 2 of my 3 rads at the top and the way the resivoir block is designed... however it doesn't make ANY difference trust me... there's been so many tests on this kind of thing before. Flow and cooling efficiency of the fans/rads is the No.1 Priority. However you'll probably find that certain cases are built so that this generally happens... looking at my case... I can't actually think of another way of not having 2 rads between anything due to my requirement of having 3 rads which for me was 100% more important than what order they're all in. Hey ho.

Associate
Moment of truth today @LtMatt

Picking up a 3080ti later. We will see if there is any stuttering on Caldera. If there is, we can rule out the 6900xt being the culprit.

I get this really weird problem with cold boots. No display on cold boot. And sometimes when I immediately go into Rebirth after booting successfully, my frames are terrible. So I restart and go back in, and my frames are normal. Then I'll be playing at 1440p normal/high settings whilst simultaneously streaming to Twitch, and it's butter for 4-5 play sessions.

I just don't get it.

Caporegime
Moment of truth today @LtMatt

Picking up a 3080ti later. We will see if there is any stuttering on Caldera. If there is, we can rule out the 6900xt being the culprit.

I get this really weird problem with cold boots. No display on cold boot. And sometimes when I immediately go into Rebirth after booting successfully, my frames are terrible. So I restart and go back in, and my frames are normal. Then I'll be playing at 1440p normal/high settings whilst simultaneously streaming to Twitch, and it's butter for 4-5 play sessions.

I just don't get it.
Good luck mate.

I've given up trying to debug peoples issues with Warzone as it just runs fine for me. :p

Caporegime
Did I see you'd managed to secure a 5800x3D yesterday Matt? Be interested to see the performance uplift in WZ over the 5950x.
I have indeed, currently rebuilding my system and will definitely be putting up benchmarks and videos over the weekend. The wise old 5950X is entering early retirement, overtaken by the smaller yoof of today in games by the 5800X3D.

Associate
Did I see you'd managed to secure a 5800x3D yesterday Matt? Be interested to see the performance uplift in WZ over the 5950x.

Warzone.png

Back
Top Bottom