The ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX/EXTREME Owners Thread

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Nice one chap! I am looking forward to the results.

I've been reading about the EK mono block and it seems the release date has been pushed back till the 11th October as the current design doesn't have any contact patch or heat sink for the 10Gb module. So looks like my builds been pushed back bit a few weeks now.

So I've bought a temporary CPU and ill transfer my EK Supremacy Evo (No jet-plate change required it seems) at the weekend, just to get it up and running.

Last edited:
Soldato
BnZxh3u
Nice one chap! I am looking forward to the results.

I've been reading about the EK mono block and it seems the release date has been pushed back till the 11th October as the current design doesn't have any contact patch or heat sink for the 10Gb module. So looks like my builds been pushed back bit a few weeks now.

So I've bought a temporary CPU and ill transfer my EK Supremacy Evo (No jet-plate change required it seems) at the weekend, just to get it up and running.

CPU now maxes at around 75-80c (104c before) at 4.8ghz 1.22v under heavy stress which was occt load.

Running it at 4.5ghz/4.6ghz at 1.1v so far (will try for less tomorrow) which will be 24/7, as the power usage past that is just ridiculous.

4.5ghz is running at just over 60c with OCCT. at the same settings, was mid 80's before.

So definitely happy with the results averaging around 25c drop.

Pic for TROH :)

BnZxh3u.jpg.png

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Those are some really impressive temperature drops, so i'll add that to the to-do list or buy a binned one once OCUK them instock. Looking around the overall stock levels of the 7900X seem low.

I'm still looking at both the 7900 / 7920 but I am undecided between them, but the benchmarks seem a bit thin on the ground for the 7920X. I've got a 7820X on the way as a temporary CPU to get me up and running which should show a small improvements for the mo as often bottlenecked by my 6850K.

Also looking at the EK monoblock, id have to completely re work my loop due to the input and output ports are swapped over and there is still the unknown issue of the 10Gb chip not being cooled. So i'm going to hold off on that at the mo and use my current block.

Soldato
Excellent board so far I must say.

General OCing has been a pleasure on this.

My 32gb (8x4gb) bog standard corsair LPX 3000mhz. So far running stable at 4000mhz at stock 1.35v.

Just dialing in my timings but so far running the same timings as a tested 4000mhz RAM set.

Everything feels snappier and im sure I couldn't get that far with my old RVE (struggled running 3000mhz with all 8 slots filled) so overall very happy.

I thought about getting the mobo block for the VRM'S but the way its configured would make the pipework a real pain as the inlet is on the right hand side. So likely will just leave the VRM's as they are.

I've reversed my rear fan to give a little direct flow over the GPU backplate, memory and VRM heatsink.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I agree, as I was running a Strix X99 and a 6850K and I've seen notable gains across the board, I have been keeping a eye on the VRMs and they dont seem to be breaking a sweat at the moment but that may change when the CPU is swapped out. I'm just reading up on the memory overclocking at the moment as that not normally something I play with too much.

My current setup before the 7900X arrives.

lrygpPR.jpg.png

Soldato
I agree, as I was running a Strix X99 and a 6850K and I've seen notable gains across the board, I have been keeping a eye on the VRMs and they dont seem to be breaking a sweat at the moment but that may change when the CPU is swapped out. I'm just reading up on the memory overclocking at the moment as that not normally something I play with too much.

My current setup before the 7900X arrives.

lrygpPR.jpg.png

Very nice bud! Really tempted by the fans to swap mine over to LED now haha :D.

Here's mine. Pretty much the same RGB setup as yours. Just set to white lol.

Board off

I7tpoLg.jpg

Board on (although my camera don't pick it up too well).

WwPG90J.jpg

VRMs on mine are surprisingly good but they do get warm when being stressed. 85-90c ish when all cores are under 100% load and that's with a little direct fan flow.

Are you buying a pre binned (delidded) 7900x?

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Are you buying a pre binned (delidded) 7900x?

I would prefer to but at the same time, i'd like to give it ago myself. How are you finding the SLI as I keep thinking about it and then read the reads where I see its a waste?

I'm still not sure about the bottom arch tubing as I was experimenting.

Soldato
I would prefer to but at the same time, i'd like to give it ago myself. How are you finding the SLI as I keep thinking about it and then read the reads where I see its a waste?

I'm still not sure about the bottom arch tubing as I was experimenting.

I'll lend my tool out if you want, no worries if not. If your wanting to wait for the derbauer one anyway.

SLI to be honest has gotten better than it started out at pascal release. Most the games I play now support it well.

Most games 3440x1440 120hz a single card just isn't quite enough but SLI runs it bang on with plenty of power to spare.

Of course it's not perfect and some games don't like it but that's the way it's always been.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'll lend my tool out if you want, no worries if not. If your wanting to wait for the derbauer one anyway.

SLI to be honest has gotten better than it started out at pascal release. Most the games I play now support it well.

Most games 3440x1440 120hz a single card just isn't quite enough but SLI runs it bang on with plenty of power to spare.

Of course it's not perfect and some games don't like it but that's the way it's always been.

Thank you for the offer but was going to get ether der8auer or the Rockit 99 tools, so I can chop and change CPU's at a later date if needed. I did start looking at the 12 and 14 core models of the SKL-X again haha but I can't really find O/C results on HWBOT.

I've just recently moved away from a Ultrawide (1440P) back to 2 X 27s which seems a much better use case but most games seem to run at over 120 fps + so that was my reason for thinking it maybe a waste.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've been doing some testing today with regards to power draw.

Idle System @ 4.8 1.230 - Custom curve control on the Aquaero it seems to average around 230w
Cinebench R15 @ 4.8 1.230 - Custom curve control on the Aquaero it seems to average around 430w
3D Mark Timespy @ 4.8 1.230 - Custom curve control on the Aquaero it seems to average around 550w
Prime 95 @ 4.8 1.230 - Custom curve control on the Aquaero it seems to average around 460w
Prime 95 & FurMark @ 4.8 1.230 - Full Speed on the Aquaero it seems to average around 720w

All test have been run using high performance power state within windows.

Last edited:
Associate
Was an owner of this MB for all of a day until I returned it. For reasons unknown I received a MB with most of the protective plastic removed and dirt and fingerprints all over. Sent it back, waiting for it to be received before deciding what to do next. Incidentally, didn't buy it from OCUK - found this forum while buying my new case (from OCUK)

B6nq8GF.jpg
B6nq8GF.jpg

Removed most of the dirt and fingerprints before it dawned on me the plastic wasn't there
zdW8uiz.png
zdW8uiz.png

RSR

RSR

Soldato
There are number of reports I've read on other forums of the boards arriving like that. Mine was from OCUK which arrived in a simlar condition (without finger prints) but it did have plastic on the back plate but none where you have highlighted.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yup, that's how mine arrived. I just assumed it was some dirt was off the plastic cover the board comes with as it doesn't come in a static bag.

Still a nearly £600 MB shouldn't arrive like this.

Associate
I agree, which is why I reacted the way I did when I received mine. I'm still not convinced I feel up to spending another £600, if this is how they ship their flagship motherboards.

Incidentally, one of the places I've seen how it's meant to be is an unboxing done by Pauls Hardware: https://youtu.be/TpqpeisrGcA?t=8m29s/

Associate
Please people i have just ordered one of these today, as another relative came over and saw installing an apex, have there been any problems in operation. thanking you in advance regards

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What CPU, memory and timings are people using on the RVIE.

Thanks.

CPU: 7820K
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB - F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
16-16-16 36 T2 - 1.350v 3600 - XMP - All Good
18-19-19 39 T2 - 1.380v 4000 - All Good
17-18-18 38 T2 - 1.400v 4000 - All Good

I will report back with a 7900X, when it arrives all being well by next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom