The ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX/EXTREME Owners Thread

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just ordered my delid kit, so I could have a expensive paper weight shortly. :eek:

I can't say I am very impressed by OCUK with the way they handle ASUS support problems.

Edit: It seems the board needs to go back to Asus HQ in Taiwan..... This only gets better! :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered my delid kit, so I could have a expensive paper weight shortly. :eek:

I can't say I am very impressed by OCUK with the way they handle ASUS support problems.

Edit: It seems the board needs to go back to Asus HQ in Taiwan..... This only gets better! :mad:

I thought they recently had some special doodab set up with ASUS meaning support was all really good. Maybe it was just GPU's or something.

Associate
I'm not sure a Noctua will be able to cool the CPU running anything other than completely stock, as I believe they recommend running the minimum of a 360 rad for over clocking these CPU's.

Also without a de-lid, you are at the mercy of the stock Intel Toothpaste TIM, which really limits the OC Potental of these CPU's.

I'm pretty sure this board will not fit, as I had a Evolv ATX before getting my Caselabs case. As I was going to get the R5E10 board before this one and I know that one doesn't fit. However, you can get it to fit but you'll need to heavily mod the case.

It doesn't fit in anyway, not without cutting the entire slanted part of the MB tray.

The D15S should be fine for now, I haven't decided whether to use a CLC or custom liquid cooler yet.
There are decent CLC setups coming from Lian Li also.

Associate
Imo, the EK alcatel was the better option visually and more importantly functionally (it could be nice to see if there are air/corrosion issues with acrylic). Although no personal experience - Acrylic blocks seem to have so many issues with cracking/leaking it does appear to be a problematic material.

Acetal should be standard, sorry to say Acrylic cracks plus your screwing metal fittings into it (which is stupid imo, it cant take any stress whatsoever).
Ive never heard of Acetal corroding or cracking in any way, plus it handles rapid temperature changes and huge deltas also.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
It doesn't fit in anyway, not without cutting the entire slanted part of the MB tray.

The D15S should be fine for now, I haven't decided whether to use a CLC or custom liquid cooler yet.
There are decent CLC setups coming from Lian Li also.

I'd highly recommend a a custom loop, have you also looked at Caselabs as they are amazing cases for WC builds.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I thought they recently had some special doodab set up with ASUS meaning support was all really good. Maybe it was just GPU's or something.

It seems there has been some miss communication and OCUK will be replacing the board which is fantastic news!

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Imo, the EK alcatel was the better option visually and more importantly functionally (it could be nice to see if there are air/corrosion issues with acrylic). Although no personal experience - Acrylic blocks seem to have so many issues with cracking/leaking it does appear to be a problematic material.

I agree with the Alcatel solution, my only worry which someone on the ROG forums has commented on was the 10Gb NIC requires a additional heat sink which seems to be a stick on solution as its not covered by the block and the block its self doesn't connect into the Asus port to monitor these.

Associate
I agree with the Alcatel solution, my only worry which someone on the ROG forums has commented on was the 10Gb NIC requires a additional heat sink which seems to be a stick on solution as its not covered by the block and the block its self doesn't connect into the Asus port to monitor these.
They are supposed to be the same block/plate right? Does the acrylic version cover the 10Gbe chip.

Associate
I believe the acrylic/alcatel both come with a additional heatsink which covers the 10Gbe. The 10gbe chip is located where the Io is, so 4 banks of ram are in the way enable the monoblock to cover it directly.

It replaces the ASUS heatsink/pipe that covered this chip under the IO shield. I'd expect that to be fine, as previously the chip would have been heated by the shared vrm heatsink/pipe connecting to it.

Soldato

Let us know how you get on. Just take it steady mate and make sure you pull the IHS off with the correct procedure after breaking the seal.

I'd recommend watching gamers nexus guide on how to do it as it helped me quite a lot before I started on mine. Nail polish the caps with a few coats too if you can.

Delidded mine with ease so you should be fine. Was suprised how easy it breaks the seal to be fair. Very rewarding process.

Last edited:
Soldato
Acetal should be standard, sorry to say Acrylic cracks plus your screwing metal fittings into it (which is stupid imo, it cant take any stress whatsoever).
Ive never heard of Acetal corroding or cracking in any way, plus it handles rapid temperature changes and huge deltas also.

Agreed! Acetal is far better than acrylic is.

Near on strong enough as aluminium is and agreed it very rarely cracks as it's quite a bendable material.

Acrylic on the other hand is extremely brittle. An over stress and it will just crack.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Let us know how you get on. Just take it steady mate and make sure you pull the IHS off with the correct procedure after breaking the seal.

I'd recommend watching gamers nexus guide on how to do it as it helped me quite a lot before I started on mine. Nail polish the caps with a few coats too if you can.

Delidded mine with ease so you should be fine. Was suprised how easy it breaks the seal to be fair. Very rewarding process.

I will do, oddly enough I have been watching their videos on it and also reading a lot of stuff from Overclock.net its and that's the reason i've gone with the Rockit 99 delid tool which is on the way over from the US at the moment.

Rather than use nail polish, I have some high temperature take to use to cover the SDM's etc...

Everyone seems to clean up the IHS which is a given but a lot of people i've not seen clean up the sub straight part of the CPU, so wondering ifs that's worth doing? I assume rubbing alcohol is fine to use.

As a few of them have cleaned them up like this (Pics from OCN):

aHCLAPa.jpg.png
kNrNdkK.jpg.png

Soldato
I will do, oddly enough I have been watching their videos on it and also reading a lot of stuff from Overclock.net its and that's the reason i've gone with the Rockit 99 delid tool which is on the way over from the US at the moment.

Rather than use nail polish, I have some high temperature take to use to cover the SDM's etc...

Everyone seems to clean up the IHS which is a given but a lot of people i've not seen clean up the sub straight part of the CPU, so wondering ifs that's worth doing? I assume rubbing alcohol is fine to use.

As a few of them have cleaned them up like this (Pics from OCN):

aHCLAPa.jpg.png
kNrNdkK.jpg.png

Yeah kapton tape is very good. I was tempted to use some on mine as I have used it on my GPU's before. But I left it due to the glue in the way.

Personally I only cleaned the glue from the IHS and left the Rest on the pcb. Mainly to make it all easier to re-align and incase I had an issue I wouldn't need to break the seal again.

I think derbauer said he saw a small difference from cleaning it off both sides. Only a degree or two at most I think. But it will be needed if you want to put tape on it though.

If you are cleaning both sides or for the removal of the glue in general, use some wooden toothpicks. They work very well for picking away the glue without the risk of damage.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
De-Lid kit has arrived from the US, I only ordered it on Wednesday :eek:

Here comes a expensive paperweight. :p:eek:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Wow that was quick, what did they ship it in an F-15? :D :p

Good luck! I'm sure all will be good.

It was by DHL.

De-Lid is all done and OMG the temperature drop is insane on the same settings as before with a bit more vCore, i'm running 30/40c cooler than stock. :eek:

I've also fixed my RGB system on my MB, with thanks to Asus HQ. I'll right a little how to guide later today but it means you have to dissasemble the whole MB.

Back
Top Bottom