• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RT Related Games, Benchmarks, Software, Etc Thread.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to F1 22 a lot, been a few years since I had one of these. Reading a few reviews and PC Gamer have the Ray tracing as being underwhelming - do they simply expect too much? The videos I've seen have looked pretty good.

DLSS looks to be a near necessity here.
The video's look decent but when racing you won't be looking for ray tracing or notice it. You simply don't have time unless on a long straight. Something off about that video though as the colours on the non RTX part seem to be dull as hell making RTX look much better. Does RTX really make the colours pop that much. For me RT is much better suited to slower moving games where you can at least take in the visual upgrade. In F1 the main benefit looks to be when watching the replay after the race or while sitting still.

Associate
Makes sense. I will be trying it with everything on, but if performance is hit, I have no problem in losing the odd bit here and there. Like you say, I'll be looking at (and missing) apexes rather than admiring puddles, at least after the first few runs.

Ray tracing is not a deal breaker for me here. If its there and isn't too bad performance wise, then lovely, but I prioritise framerate for this. DLSS should be my friend.

Soldato
Looking forward to trying F1 22 in VR so RT will likely be off :p

People don't play in VR for graphics anyway, so RT doesn't matter. It doesn't matter which current VR headset and GPU you have, pure graphic fidelity is going to be much better on a monitor so if you care about RT you would be playing on a monitor anyway.

Caporegime
I'm looking forward to F1 22 a lot, been a few years since I had one of these. Reading a few reviews and PC Gamer have the Ray tracing as being underwhelming - do they simply expect too much? The videos I've seen have looked pretty good.

DLSS looks to be a near necessity here.
They found the ray tracing to look superb, just the performance impact which left them underwhelmed, more so on RDNA 2, seems like they want 100+ fps at 4k so not a wonder. Yet again, another reason for wanting more powerful RT gpus now :D

Either their system has issues or nvidia or/and the game needs an update to sort out their dlss crashes/performance though as they found fsr 1 to work better, which is unusual since dlss always provides a much bigger fps boost over FSR 1/2 in RT situations.

n4oLQkd.png

I'll hold of for a price drop before picking it up but will be playing on my 3440x1440 display so performance should be very nice with dlss quality and max settings.

The video's look decent but when racing you won't be looking for ray tracing or notice it. You simply don't have time unless on a long straight. Something off about that video though as the colours on the non RTX part seem to be dull as hell making RTX look much better. Does RTX really make the colours pop that much. For me RT is much better suited to slower moving games where you can at least take in the visual upgrade. In F1 the main benefit looks to be when watching the replay after the race or while sitting still.

Disagree, you will definitely be noticing RT reflections in motion since the reflections won't be disappearing/distorting weirdly as well as the wet surfaces looking more realistic. RT shadows and AO, you could probably go without though.

As for RT looking much better, that's just RT for you, developers don't need to spend ages trying to get raster. methods to look good and they never will be able to get results as good either.

Associate
They found the ray tracing to look superb, just the performance impact which left them underwhelmed, more so on RDNA 2, seems like they want 100+ fps at 4k so not a wonder. Yet again, another reason for wanting more powerful RT gpus now :D

From the article - "Surprisingly, the last criticism is that F1 22 doesn't look as good as it probably should at this point, though TV replay angles do look more realistic than last year and the on-track action looks marvelous. Your pit crew are still all residents of the uncanny valley, but more fundamentally, the ray tracing isn't particularly impressive, even on Ultra."

So not quite the obvious RT win it's made out to be, although I have since seen the article you refer to where they do like it. They cant make their mind up themselves!

Caporegime
From the article - "Surprisingly, the last criticism is that F1 22 doesn't look as good as it probably should at this point, though TV replay angles do look more realistic than last year and the on-track action looks marvelous. Your pit crew are still all residents of the uncanny valley, but more fundamentally, the ray tracing isn't particularly impressive, even on Ultra."

So not quite the obvious RT win it's made out to be, although I have since seen the article you refer to where they do like it. They cant make their mind up themselves!
Exactly, from their recent article:

The ray tracing in F1 22 does look supremely pretty, and the way light dances off the Mercedes body work, or the red livery of the Alfa Romeo, is stunning. The cars feel far more a part of the world they're racing around than they have in the past. It's more that the performance impact of such beautiful ray traced lighting is so dire in F1 22—even with a helping hand from the game's two available upscaling technologies—I find it altogether too big an ask to enable ray tracing on in any capacity.

It's pc gamer, they are well known for contradicting themselves and some silly articles too i.e.

They have since updated that one above but they got quite the backlash from that originally as no other tech reviewer noted issues iirc. There has also been a few other articles which are questionable.

Will be a while before we get a proper in depth look from DF since Alex is on holiday now.

Soldato
Disagree, you will definitely be noticing RT reflections in motion since the reflections won't be disappearing/distorting weirdly as well as the wet surfaces looking more realistic. RT shadows and AO, you could probably go without though.

As for RT looking much better, that's just RT for you, developers don't need to spend ages trying to get raster. methods to look good and they never will be able to get results as good either.
Been league racing for years on F1 now and I can tell you the last thing I am noticing or thinking about is reflections. From one corner to the other I am thinking off car placement, braking, hitting the apex and traction on acceleration. If you have time to take in reflections with no assists on then good for you as f1 takes up a lot of brain to be fast.

It's even worse in the rain as you cant see anything in front of you for spray off the road so just trying to see the braking point or anything in front of you is almost impossible. Bare in mind I play pro racer camera view with a wheel and pedals which is literally just above the drivers head, if you are using chase cam on a pad then you might see more benefit in the graphics.

Caporegime
Been league racing for years on F1 now and I can tell you the last thing I am noticing or thinking about is reflections. From one corner to the other I am thinking off car placement, braking, hitting the apex and traction on acceleration. If you have time to take in reflections with no assists on then good for you as f1 takes up a lot of brain to be fast.

It's even worse in the rain as you cant see anything in front of you for spray off the road so just trying to see the braking point or anything in front of you is almost impossible. Bare in mind I play pro racer camera view with a wheel and pedals which is literally just above the drivers head, if you are using chase cam on a pad then you might see more benefit in the graphics.
So safe to say you fall under the category I mentioned here then:

Unless you're playing competitively, you'll defo be wanting RT on for the best visual experience

Caporegime
Computerbase loving the RT in F1 22 it seems:

SEuHidF.png

aNDvW93.png

Fyh7wMg.png

@TNA

looks like you'll scrape by ok with your measly 8gb vram too :cry: :p ;)

With a 10 GB graphics card memory you are on the safe side for all situations in F1 22. Maximum texture details then run without any problems even in Ultra HD and with ray tracing. Graphics cards with 8 GB did not show any major abnormalities in the test, with the percentile measurements in Ultra HD indicating that VRAM is starting to run out - but only by a small amount.

They note that you can use the less intensive RT settings as the difference isn't too noticeable/large outside of screenshots.

DLSS could be better but the most important point as always is it does a better job than native + taa most of the time:

Image stability is good with DLSS. Image elements that the TAA struggles with are quieted down even more effectively with DLSS, while others tend to flicker a bit more. Especially with the performance mode, track fences, for example, become visibly more restless, although not yet a problem - and even DLSS Performance still does a much better job in this regard than FSR Quality.

They are also reporting dlss crashing the game as pcgamer did though so hopefully this gets resolved by a game or/and driver update.

Puzzling why games are still getting fsr 1 and not fsr 2 :confused:

In other news, Avatar being hinted for a 17th November release date.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
What RT settings are they using for the 4k graph? The way those are makes it look like a 3080 at full RT has only a 4fps difference between the two resolutions?

Looking perfect for 3840x1600.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Computerbase loving the RT in F1 22 it seems:

SEuHidF.png

aNDvW93.png

Fyh7wMg.png

@TNA

looks like you'll scrape by ok with your measly 8gb vram too :cry: :p ;)

They note that you can use the less intensive RT settings as the difference isn't too noticeable/large outside of screenshots.

DLSS could be better but the most important point as always is it does a better job than native + taa most of the time:

They are also reporting dlss crashing the game as pcgamer did though so hopefully this gets resolved by a game or/and driver update.

Puzzling why games are still getting fsr 1 and not fsr 2 :confused:

In other news, Avatar being hinted for a 17th November release date.

So that’s yet another game that works on 8gb, let alone 10… :cry:

I am still waiting for a single must play game to come out that 10gb is not enough for :p

Caporegime
What RT settings are they using for the 4k graph? The way those are makes it look like a 3080 at full RT has only a 4fps difference between the two resolutions?

Looking perfect for 3840x1600.
Think it is just down to ampere scaling better the higher res. you go.

They didn't specifically mention anything about having settings turned down for 4k.

But yes, looks like no compromises will have to be made for 3080+ owners except for those who want high refresh rate action on 4k displays :)

So that’s yet another game that works on 8gb, let alone 10… :cry:

I am still waiting for a single must play game to come out that 10gb is not enough for :p
:cry:

Experts have been telling insisting that we would be seeing loads of games by now showing issues with 10gb yet....

lost-john-travolta.gif

What and when is the next amd sponsored game coming out? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Associate
I'll give this a good go over the weekend and see how it performs.
Been having fun with this all morning, and it's a cracking looking game. Using a wet Bahrain I'm finding at 3840x1600 with everything up, DLSS quality is a difference of about 30fps on average, going from mid 50s to mid 80s. Makes a big difference, and I don't notice any visual difference in gameplay. May be little differences, but nothing I've noticed or care about.

Changing to DLSS performance makes another 25fps difference, getting around 110fps, and again very little visual degradation. Possibly some slight additional blurring as objects fly past, but it's minimal and if it means I could run this on a 3060ti at 60fps, I'd have it on in a heartbeat.

Running at ultra performance made the rain effects on the ground look like an epileptic nightmare, just random flickers everywhere. Performance was around mid 130s, but there is no way I'd be using it. It does note that it is meant for 8k, but I'd rather be lowering resolution or other settings than trying to make this work.

DLSS on, RT on

DLSS quality - Mid 80s
DLSS performance - Mid 110s
DLSS Ultra performance - Mid 130s. Awful rain lighting

The same tests without RT gave me this:

DLSS Quality - Mid 130s
DLSS Performance - More or less locked 140 (bouncing against refresh limit)
DLSS Ultra performance - Stuck at around 125, which seemed odd. Rain and rain refkections looked awful, little spots of random light everywhere, tarmac, ground... Just really bad.
TAA Only - Around 100.

Its a game where RT looks good in motion, but as previously noted probably the least useful RT in game. Looks great for benchmarking, but ultimately will not really draw the eye when you're actually racing. DLSS is a big aid here, but don't use ultra performance in the wet unless you like the impression that an over enthusiastic DJ is in charge of lighting.

FSR tests, RT on:

FSR quality - Around 90fps
FSR performance - Around 115fps
FSR ultra performance - Around 130fps

FSR tests, RT off

FSR quality - Locked 140, refresh limit
FSR performance - locked 140, refresh limit
FSR ultra performance - Locked 140, refresh limit

On the whole FSR (except ultra performance) doesn't do a bad job, and for this game I'd definitely be using it for increased framerate if necessary, but there are a few points even on quality settings such as water spray coming off rear wheels doesn't look right, and sometimes (not always) fences are just smears as they go past.

FSR ultra performance looks terrible, almost as if no upscaling has actually taken place (exaggeration, but still...). No definition on anything in motion at all. I would easily be turning other settings down or off before resorting to this. Same caveat as DLSS above though, meant for making 8k playable.

In summary, Ray tracing at a high level does improve visuals in this, no question to me. But unless you have a high end gpu, the upscaling is more important. Both options work here, and I would favour DLSS, but FSR is fine as long as you go no lower than balanced. Performance does work, but you really start to see the difference here.

Back
Top Bottom