The Rumour Mill, who do you want/think your club will sign/sell this summer

Associate
I would be really happy with Pennant as a signing for the club, at 23 he is still young and if his head / heart are in the move them an sure he will be a huge success.

Problem with Alves is the £12m asking fee and high wages on top of that, also add to the fact he is south american and not exactly tried and tested in a the premiership. Pennant on the other hand has played in the premiership and by all accounts has conducted himself well and proved himself to be a very useful player.

Sure its a risk taking on two of the premiership bad boys in one season with Bellamy and Pennant, but I reckon if they both want this chance enough then they will be great for the club.

As for Kuyt I think he has all of the qualities to succeed in England, he is a big, strong and powerful forward who works his socks off every game thats what Rafa will look for, he does as much running on the flanks and up front as anyone, he can hold the ball up and bring others into the game he is a proper team player and all midfielders, wingers want to see a big target man like that who can hold the ball and take presure off the rest of the team and bring others into play. He is a bit like Crouchy in that sense, except I think he is much much more clinical in front of goal in both the air and when the ball is at his feet, certainly his shooting ability is much more accurate and clinical than Crouchy.

If Pennant and Kuyt were to arrive then I would have doubts over the future of Garcia, I don't see where he will fit in anymore and whether he will be prepared to spend a lot of time on the bench?

All in all Bellamy & Pennant for £12m is good business and Rafa has addressed 2 critical weaknesses in the team and addressed them with proven british players who know what the EPL is all about.

Soldato
Rotty said:
sorry but I just don't see it with Pennant, ok Bellamy is an arse too but at least his qualities are obvious

When Pennant was at Leeds he tore us apart. He is a great crosser of the ball and can beat a defender. Rafa builds his team with wingers and other than Alves, there are no real right wing opportunities that are available.

As for Bellamy, I spent a fascinating day at Cheltenham races with the guy last march where he put it on the line that he wanted to sign for Liverpool. He was good company, good fun and although very feisty he has an undeserved reputation. My friends and I were winding him up something chronic and he took it all on the chin. The lad is a Liverpool fan through and through and knows that this is a supreme chance for him. If he misbehaves then he can kiss goodbye to a top flight career. I would not back against him being our top scorer next year.

But banker of the season is Neil Warnock to be hit with some sort of FA charge...

I would be happy with Pennant+ a striker. But rumours up here at the moment are suggesting we have found an investor and the new stadium will go ahead along with the signings of Alves and David Villa! :eek: Can't see it myself but there is a lot of time being spent investigating the rumours

Associate
i think pennant is a great signing for the team in terms of what they need - alves is a right back, albeit an attacking wing back also --- i worry about trying to convert full bakcs into wingers and liverpool already have plentyl of these types in aurelio, riise, kromkamp?.... in a way having pennant would have bought the best out of morientes. liverpool wil finally have a decent crosser and regular service - much the same problem as united have now in that rvn has been let down by poor service

Man of Honour
Rotty said:
sorry but I just don't see it with Pennant, ok Bellamy is an arse too but at least his qualities are obvious
Pennant was great for us before we were relegated and did well for Brum before they were relegated too.

I just hope he's ace for Liverpool and they're relegated ;)

Associate
See the takeover rumour continues at Liverpool. No announcements until next week, but its expected to include some big signings. Kraft will be good for us i think, heard some good things.

Villa, Joaquin/Alves are the popular shock big signings. Although i wonder if the Ronaldo rumour ever held any truth.....

Associate
Gilly said:
Pennant was great for us before we were relegated and did well for Brum before they were relegated too.

I just hope he's ace for Liverpool and they're relegated ;)

LOL I was thinking exactly the same thing, he played great in a relegated Leeds side and was Brums best player by far last season, maybe 3rd time lucky?

Reading around a few Liverpool forums this morning a lot of people are disappointed that we didn't get Alves, but at double the price and more than double the unknown would it be worth the risk? Not to mention the fact that Del Nido (club president) is being a bit of a numpty about the whole situation, I am glad Rafa has looked elsewhere. From what I have seen of Alves he is a good player in the Spanish league where he does tend to bomb forward a lot from right back, but converting him to play as an out and out right winger in a new league will take time, at least with Pennant we can throw him in at the deep end and be confident that he will hit the ground running as there is nothing new to him, also (no disrespect to Leeds or Brum) with better players around him he should also have more confidence and self belief and play even better.

As for Bellamy I like what I have heard from him so far, he has said all the right things and so far ticked all the right boxes, he has looked good up front in pre-season so far and by all reports coming out of melwood he is suppose to be getting along fine with everyone and is on form in training, lets hope it continues.

Associate
J.D.K said:
As for Bellamy I like what I have heard from him so far, he has said all the right things and so far ticked all the right boxes, he has looked good up front in pre-season so far and by all reports coming out of melwood he is suppose to be getting along fine with everyone and is on form in training, lets hope it continues.

yeah i agree with you, i was concerned when he first arrived, didn't particularly want another el hadj diouf situation, but as you say he has said all the right things and his conduct has been excellent so far. when he came off against wrexham he spent ages signing autographs which was pretty good i thought.

pennant though, im still not sure. i trust rafa's judgement so i suppose i'll go with him on this one, i've not seen much of pennant but he's certainly showed flashes of quality and plus he's english which is a bonus. rafa has already showed that he won't be held to ransom (owen ofc) so i'm glad he's backed off alves rather than pay over the odds.

nin9a

Soldato
Kop_Jedi said:
See the takeover rumour continues at Liverpool. No announcements until next week, but its expected to include some big signings. Kraft will be good for us i think, heard some good things.

Villa, Joaquin/Alves are the popular shock big signings. Although i wonder if the Ronaldo rumour ever held any truth.....

god I hope so, we need this new stadium (as much as it pains me) and a couple of massive signings wouldent do us any harm.
Although with a right winger coming in (alves/pennant/joaquin), I am very optimistic about next season. Aurellio, gonzalez and bellamy are great additions, and I can see palletta/(and lets not forget Agger) being quality in seasons to come, just in time to take over from hyypia and back up carra.

I cant wait for the season to start! :D

Associate
andybtsn said:

Queudrue looks set to sign for Fulham this week. Shame, was definitely a fan favourite but for one reason or another he said he would be looking to move on at the end of his current contract which had one year left on it.

By all accounts the club tried everything to persuade him to stay but it wasn't to be. Arca will be a decent enough replacment for us I feel but not sure he is as good as Fracnk thou. :(

Don
I thought it was Southgate moving Quedrue on?

He was deffinately one of the better performers last season, I saw numerous Boro games and he stood out, unsure why not other clubs are not interested, Liverpool were at one stage, he is an ideal left back, scores a few too, his temperment can be a problem sometimes but he seems to have addressed that.

Shame about him leaving.

Associate
andybtsn said:
I thought it was Southgate moving Quedrue on?

He was deffinately one of the better performers last season, I saw numerous Boro games and he stood out, unsure why not other clubs are not interested, Liverpool were at one stage, he is an ideal left back, scores a few too, his temperment can be a problem sometimes but he seems to have addressed that.

Shame about him leaving.

Nope, Southgate wanted him to stay but he was already making noise in the press at the end of the season that he would be moving at the end of his contract and he hasn't changed his stance.

Also, he had his worst season by a long way for us last year. Didn't seem like the same Franck to his previous seasons. I'm guessing something has gone on and he has been under happy for the past year or so resulting in his poor form. This might explain why only Fulham have shown an interest so far.

I'll be sad to see him go since on his day he was definitely one of our best players. He was also a model perfessional off the pitch and was the type who would take time to sign autographs and speak to fans. Definitely a crowd favourite. :(

Back
Top Bottom