The Sandman (coming to Netflix)

Soldato
Let’s hope, there is the usual dose of gender race swapping required of all modern TV but not an egregious amount so let’s hope they’ve chosen some good actors and leave it at that.

Soldato
Awkward that TV series Lucifer is not compatible with TV series Sandman. Guess they have to be standalone rather than the same world now.

Soldato
I like Lucifer but yeah the tone doesn't match how I hope a Sandman series builds. Gwendolyne Christie might be an inspired choice for Lucifer in a more World weary guise. Didn't know this was coming but it might be the sort of thing that persuades me to get Netflix for a couple of months on SKky.

Associate

So I'm mostly liking the look of it,
but not quite sure how they're going to pull off the character Johanna Constentine being in the present, unless it's still going to be Jenna Coleman, but playing her in the past too for Thermidor (and maybe other cameo's?). So playing both modern Johanna Constentine, and Lady Johanna Constentine for episodes in the past, otherwise why call him a fairy story in the trailer? But if that's the case, why not just have John Constentine anyway? As a DC character he's much better known now than in the late 80's anyway, so it seems to be a casting/character change for not much reason.
Jenna Coleman could have been great as Death though instead.
But Stephen Fry as Gilbert is inspired casting. And Mark Hamill as Merv Pumpkinhead too, it's perfect.

Last edited:
Associate
So I'm mostly liking the look of it,
but not quite sure how they're going to pull off the character Johanna Constentine being in the present, unless it's still going to be Jenna Coleman, but playing her in the past too for Thermidor (and maybe other cameo's?). So playing both modern Johanna Constentine, and Lady Johanna Constentine for episodes in the past, otherwise why call him a fairy story in the trailer? But if that's the case, why not just have John Constentine anyway? As a DC character he's much better known now than in the late 80's anyway, so it seems to be a casting/character change for not much reason.
Jenna Coleman could have been great as Death though instead.

It's not like identical ancestors are uncommon thing in film and TV, but for the larger question considering how possessive DC has been in the past about having multiple takes of the same character appearing in short spaces of time and with him being one of the few mainline DC characters (and certainly the most recognisable these days, not counting the cameos in that one issue near the end) involved in the story maybe they just ruled him out to avoid any headaches or "actually we decided we're using these characters in a film now so you can't have them anymore" moments.

Soldato
Just saw this yesterday, love the graphic novels, and all of Gaiman's previous TV/film adaptations have been fantastic, so high hopes for this!

Awkward that TV series Lucifer is not compatible with TV series Sandman. Guess they have to be standalone rather than the same world now.

From watching the trailer, I think Gwendoline Christie will do a more accurate portrayal of Lucifer than the guy from the TV series - I watched a couple of episodes of Lucifer and just found it too comedic, to the point where I was questioning whether it was actually supposed to be based on the Neil Gaiman's character, or just coincidental similarities!

As far as casting goes, my only disappointment is Death - not because I think the actress doesn't fit (far from it, having seen the Death intro clip video, she does a fantastic job), but purely because I have a thing for cute goth girls :cry:

Soldato
I think Gwendoline Christie is a pretty reasonable actress but I don't think she is beautiful enough anymore to play Lucifer in Sandman. I think they need to choose a ridiculously pretty androgonous looking actor or seriously CGI the face even into the uncanny valley. Because I think that's what angels need to be in Sandman, even fallen ones. What I can't tell in the trailer is how faithful they will be to the overarching plot of the books. Plainly there are some very clear nods to the books in some areas, just not sure if that will be the pattern or exception.

Associate
It's the pattern from what I've seen so far, just finished episode 5 and with the exception of the removal of some of the direct links to the DC universe, a couple of characters being introduced early compared to the book, and one very cruel change to an early subplot it's following it very closely.

Caporegime
Watched the first 5 episodes last night. Absolutely brilliant. It's a long time since I read the comics so while I remember some of the story beats, I've forgotten enough that it all feels fresh again, and you can tell Gaiman was closely involved in bringing it to screen. The ability to pivot suddenly from whismy to utterly dark is spectacular.

While I'm enjoying binging it, I think it's a shame that they've chosen to release it all in one go. It doesn't give it time to breathe and gather an audience.

Caporegime
I don’t know anything about it but somehow watched 5eps too in 1 evening so I guess it’s good. I like the computer game way of “lost your powers at the start and then work to get it back” arc so it sets an expectation already in my head where this is going but it’s filling in the middle for me. The actor from everyone is excellent, I’ll actually finish it this weekend.

Soldato
Only on ep2 so far and quite enjoying it having not read the comic/graphic novel it's quite refreshing compared to the usual Marvel stuff.

There is one thing that's annoying me though, has this been filmed through a fish eye lens or something to that effect, it seems like everything is out of proportion, the actors seem long and thin like looking through a fun house mirror?

Permabanned
Watched half of it, it's interesting but the woke crap is just awful. Red flags at the start with a very diverse 1930's England, every other character is black or gay and now there's this weird drag queen character. and even a nonce. Lost interest, don't know where they're going with this. but the forced diversity is kinda disgusting / distracting. Yes, it was expected considering the source but it's too much.

Shame really because I think the actor playing the Sandman does a great job, it's a shame about the rest of the casting and characters.

I mean, look at this... WTF?

Screenshot-2022-08-06-133815.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom