The Sandman (coming to Netflix)

Soldato
Quite enjoyed it although it was a bit odd hearing Joe Lycett as a cat.

I didn't mind the moody emo lead but I find Gwendoline Christie is pretty much the same in every role no matter what the role is. A bit like Clive Owen although not that dire.

Caporegime
Quite enjoyed it although it was a bit odd hearing Joe Lycett as a cat.

I didn't mind the moody emo lead but I find Gwendoline Christie is pretty much the same in every role no matter what the role is. A bit like Clive Owen although not that dire.

I don't find Gwendoline Christie like Clive Owen, but I'm with you there - How did that guy get any work? So monotone! Even when he's dying in The Bourne Identity.

Every time I watch him I think - How is this person an actor?

Soldato
I don't find Gwendoline Christie like Clive Owen, but I'm with you there - How did that guy get any work? So monotone! Even when he's dying in The Bourne Identity.

Every time I watch him I think - How is this person an actor?
I guess it was quite unfair if me to compare her in any way to Clive Owen. It's unfair to compare anyone to him tbh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Gwendoline Christie is pretty much the same in every role no matter what the role is. A bit like Clive Owen although not that dire.

Shes like the vast majority of actors. Their breakout role suits them perfectly because thats the only reason they got the role. People then take that actor and either cast them in a very similar role and it goes well or they cast them in a completely different role and they completely bomb and are out of place.

Has happened to quite a few GoT actors. Part of it might be that you get so used to a long serving character in a show that you can't let go of that as well.

Utterly bizarre casting for The Sandman though. Not sure why they went for her other than the name.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Just watching The Sandman on Netflix, it's taken me a while to get around to it. Now it's been a while since I read the first graphic novel, probably 2 or 3 years since last re-read nearly 25 since I first read it. I like a few others it seems didn't find Gwendoline Christie to be a particularly convincing Lucifer. Whether the character is portrayed male or female is probably less the issue than she isn't pretty or ethereal enough to play a fallen angel. In particular the comic tries to reinforce the utter beauty of Lucifer, the element where Dream has to compete for his helm also lacks the spontaneity I expected. They went for visuals over the implied rapid battle of wits depicted in the comic and the power dynamics weren't right.

I'm liking the show but some bits, not all, but some are falling a bit flat for me. it's beautiful but sometimes not sufficiently stylised to do the comic credit.

Associate
First season was enough for me, ended up skimming through the last few episodes a lot of it was just filler...

Netflix keeps emailing me about this show. Take the hint Netflix, I'm not interested.

Will be interesting to see how many are tuning back in to this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom