1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sandy, Ivy and Haswell (Hazzy?) Upgrade Thread

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by almoststew1990, May 28, 2019.

  1. almoststew1990

    Soldato

    Joined: May 12, 2011

    Posts: 5,044

    Location: Southampton

    Oh alright, we can include the four people who bought Broadwell CPUs too.

    I think there are lots of people in my position right now - those who wisely invested in 4c8t 2600k, 3770k or 4770k's many years ago, which have seen a good long life but are now seriously considering upgrading after the cost/performance ratio is finally becoming quite attractive after the release of Zen 2 (because we definitely need another Zen 2 thread!)

    I was all geared up to upgrade. I had booked a first class ticket on the hype train, got myself a window seat and a table, but I am now slightly underwhelmed compared to what the leaks had me daydreaming about. I find myself thinking "wellll I could hold on for another year or 18 months, when NVME storage is slightly cheaper, DDR5 is out and 16c is the "mainstream high end" 4770k equivilent, no chipset fan (probably)".

    I have a 4770k at stock but undervolted so it is cool and silent, 12GB of DDR1600 (preferred over my 8GB of 2133MHz) 2 sata SSDs and a 1070ti. My chip overclocks to 4.3GHz. The 4770k / 1070ti pairing seems to be a good balance of CPU/GPU power and I doubt I'd want to upgrade GPU without upgrading the rest first.

    But on the other hand, new shiny. A 12c CPU will probably last me another 5 years. Also no more sata cables as I'd go NVME and SATA M.2 drives! And I have already bought my new case!

    Anyone else in this position and waiting impaitiently for the reviews to see whether it is worth it?
     
  2. Bacon?

    Mobster

    Joined: Apr 21, 2012

    Posts: 4,880

    Location: Bristol

    I'm running a 3570K, which is still performing fine in the majority of games for me but critically lacking in highly threaded workloads.

    Initially I was tempted by the leaked specs of the 3700 as a 12 core chip, however with the launch prices and specs I'm pretty much staring at a 3600 as the 3700 just isn't attractive at its price. So I'm tempted to go for 1st or 2nd Gen Ryzen and then moving up in a year or mores time when cores cost less. I'm irritated that 2 years and 2 generations later the product stack hasn't moved (ie a 3600 is still the same cores and threads as the 1600). We've only seen an increase in the highest end.
     
  3. tamzzy

    Capodecina

    Joined: May 26, 2012

    Posts: 12,164

    the golden generation. :) back when 4c8t cost £250. then intel got greedy.
    hopefully i get to upgrade this side of 2020.
    the 3800x pips my interest, but i'll wait to see what the inter-chiplet ccx latency does for gaming on the 3900x. i suspect it'll be faster on average, but will take a hit on the 0.1%/1% lows - like running sli/crossfire for gpus...
    we'll see.
     
  4. shiver

    Hitman

    Joined: Jun 13, 2007

    Posts: 810

    Location: London

    Currently running 4770K, 16GB DDR3, RTX 2080 and very tempted by these AMD hypes....will be patient and wait for results before clicking buy on....just about everything but GPU
     
  5. FoxEye

    Capodecina

    Joined: Feb 17, 2006

    Posts: 23,456

    Location: Cornwall

    2500K owner reporting for duty.

    Waiting for a great upgrade at a sane price. One without the other can't make me part with my cash :p

    I'm literally the tightest person on the planet.
     
  6. Hades

    Capodecina

    Joined: Oct 19, 2002

    Posts: 24,231

    Location: Surrey

    3930k user reporting in. Watching AMD closely.
     
  7. ElliotHand

    Associate

    Joined: Sep 5, 2013

    Posts: 84

    3570k owner here... waiting for benchmarks
     
  8. Colourjam

    Gangster

    Joined: Sep 21, 2007

    Posts: 124

    2700K here! Waiting with baited breath for reviews and hopefully looking forward to a new system so I can play games in fullscreen mode again :D
     
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. Things change I've changed

    Capodecina

    Joined: Jul 27, 2005

    Posts: 12,006

    Location: The Orion Spur

    2500k owner standing at attention!

    I have been wanting to upgrade for years, came so close to grabbing an 8700 on offer recently but was put off with the recent new vulnerability so holding out to see what Ryzen 3 has to offer.
     
  10. TerrierHTFC

    Gangster

    Joined: Oct 21, 2009

    Posts: 188

    5820k owner. Motherboard currently dead and I was all up for waiting for Zen 2.

    However a combination of boredom + 6 weeks until release, the thought of potentially ordering prior to reviews, and seemingly daft x570 motherboard prices has seen me buy a b-grade X99 board from OCUK to get me back in the game and keep me ticking over.

    I'll upgrade, but I'll let it settle down first and probably see what happens around black Friday.
     
  11. synixx

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Nov 4, 2007

    Posts: 2,311

    Location: Scotland

    2600k owner waiting for 32 core mainstream before upgrading :p

    Probably going to pick up an 8 core Ryzen 3000 when the prices reduce later in the life cycle.
     
  12. almoststew1990

    Soldato

    Joined: May 12, 2011

    Posts: 5,044

    Location: Southampton

    Where have you seen RRPs on the motherboards?
     
  13. TerrierHTFC

    Gangster

    Joined: Oct 21, 2009

    Posts: 188

  14. dante6491

    Soldato

    Joined: Jun 30, 2006

    Posts: 5,940

    Location: London

    3570K here. Really starting to notice a slow down in some games (AC:O in particular). Moving from 4 to 16 threads would be ideal.

    Will wait for reviews but I will probably go for a 3700x as a homage to my first self built PC processor, a s939 3700+ Athlon (ran that overclocked at 3.1Ghz I recall). Quickly turning into an expensive exercise though. I went from sticking to just a CPU/MOBO/RAM to including a PCIE4 SSD, new PSU and CPU Cooler. Will end up chucking a new 'n'TB storage drive in there too and consolidate three old traditional HDD.
     
  15. Darujhistan

    Mobster

    Joined: Oct 28, 2011

    Posts: 4,218

    2500K signing in, I'll be amazed if I ever own a better CPU. I'm not usually an early adopter so it might be September/October for me before I upgrade. Also adding an X570 and RAM and probably Navi, and I'll probably treat myself to a huge new SSD for STEAM.
     
  16. almoststew1990

    Soldato

    Joined: May 12, 2011

    Posts: 5,044

    Location: Southampton

    Daaaaamn, I might just get a X470 board as I'm happy with 1x GPU + PCI-E x4 NVME M.2 + SATA M.2 + PCI-E x?? Wifi adapter. Should be fine!

    I had budgeted £150 for a solid X570 without flashy lights.
     
  17. sidthesexist

    Hitman

    Joined: Jul 23, 2006

    Posts: 922

    Currently using a dog slow laptop after the PSU in my main rig (3570K) went pop in a shower of sparks... Will likely wait for a month or two after release before making my mind up as to what i'll be getting.
     
  18. havenrl

    Hitman

    Joined: May 19, 2011

    Posts: 805

    Location: Ireland

    2500k owner here, waiting on the reviews for ryzen 3000.
    aiming for ryzen 3700k upgrade.
     
  19. Wommers

    Gangster

    Joined: Feb 19, 2018

    Posts: 140

    X3470 here. Disappointed with zen 2 pricing, deciding to jump on a ryzen 2700 now with the view of jumping on zen 2 or zen 2+ when prices are more sane.
    The decision was clear once lisa released the pricing and tiering - I'm not paying over £200 for a 6 core chip when i can get an 8 core 2700 for under 200, irrespective of the ipc differences, it will still be a massive upgrade. Plus the quoted prices of x570 mobos is far too rich for me and i really don't want to wait ages for the b550s to release.
     
  20. AStaley

    Wise Guy

    Joined: Mar 1, 2004

    Posts: 1,475

    Location: Kent, UK.

    3770K here, still flip/flopping. If I do upgrade it will be a 3900X with a higher end motherboard, but going to wait on reviews. And even then I may hold out a little longer, since OC'ing my CPU other than BFV I can max out most games with decent FPS. I have money in the bank for a full overhaul of my system, but may wait and see whats out closer to release of Cyberpunk 2077.