1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Saudi understanding of sexuality...

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by cleanbluesky, May 16, 2006.

1. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

2. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

they all live in the past

3. William

Capodecina

I think this was the case for a long time in Dubai, I remember watching a program where a Western journalist worked for a major Arabic Dubai newspaper where articles about Arabic women were quite frowned upon and the newspapers were quite heavily self censored. On the flipside the frontpage was often about the Sheik opening a hotel or somthing, page 2 was some american bird snapped in a bikini because it sold papers and was not relatable to for Arab women. :)

4. ElRazur

Capodecina

Who are we to judge them? Or better still why do you think that? just because something is not acceptable in your society here or it "appears" illogical dosent mean it is so. Different places, different cultures, traditions and social values.

Are we forgetting that this is an Islamic nation, i think we should respect that.

5. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

so women deserve to be nothing....

because its their culture?

6. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

No, we dont respect being backwards just because its given a name... the attitude exhibited in Saudi would be mocked here, and for good reason.

If we do not criticise that which we find innapropriate then we will not be able to mainstain our standards...

7. ElRazur

Capodecina

It didnt say woman should amount to nothing, rather it is asking for women picture not to be published.......(see quote).

8. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Or drive or vote, or dress 'immodestly'...

9. Mujja

Mobster

I think they've got the right idea. We all know what happens when you give a woman the keys to a car, house or anything else. :)

The King also tells the press not to print anything negative about the country and ignore anything bad written about the country in the foreign press.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  10. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

why is keeping women back because of their sex ok? as long as naked pictures are publicy seen?

why argue for this in a culture?

11. ElRazur

Capodecina

I dont see the reason why, If this people are left alone and we quit meddling in their affairs i think it would be better for us given the current climate.

On issue of standards, i think we should question ours - Sort our own issues before we start giving constructive criticism (Spelling?) to other part of the world.
    Shame we dont find them "Backwards" or "living inthe past" when we buy their oil and require them to support "our war on terror". Now that is double standards.

12. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

why is the oil thing always thrown into any argument regarding the middle eastern culture...

ok, i dont care about their women.. give me a barrel of oil

13. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

So you think we should cease trade with them and then criticise them?

Anyone is free to criticise 'our' practices, and we are free to criticise theirs.

14. robmiller

Capodecina

Why can't you apply the same attitude to homosexuals?

15. William

Capodecina

But, but they are disgusting gayers!? :mad:

16. ElRazur

Capodecina

This aint the house of commons you know, where what i said weeks back will always come up again and again.

I am willing to have a debate if only people will drop this issue of homosexuality and my views on them. now can we go back on track please.

17. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

women shouldnt be regarded in such low manner..

end of.

obviously discrimination is still rife in their culture

18. Mujja

Mobster

It's not a country I'd like to live in and I'd imagine a lot of Saudis don't like it either. We hear a lot about human rights abuses and censorship in China but nothing about SA. Lots of dodgy websites are banned in SA and the religious police go around beating people and making them go to mosque.

19. ElRazur

Capodecina

I dont think i said that nor do i imply it, all im saying is this - We should focus more on what is our priorities and the saudi issue is not one of them.
    The society they live in unlike us, is highly influenced by their religon. We are used to construcive criticism but maybe over there things are still not what we will accept as a standard. My opinion is, if it works for them and it aint affecting us (on this particular issue) why make fuss about it.

We claim to respect people's religion and whatever their belief is right? Why cant we implement that in this case? We know the way they react over their religon and woman's right, why dont we let the sleeping dog be.

20. Mujja

Mobster

But what happens when a country/people criticise the west, especially the US. They get put on the evil terrorist sponsoring state hitlist.