The secret to a nice coffee? UHT Milk it seems..

Soldato
pretty much this. i had a bimbo at work exclaim that the pizzas she had in italy were all crap.

she's likely used to eating dominoes her whole life and now that is what she likes.

I am part Italian and brought up Italian. 95% of the time i prefer a filthy takeaway pizza because when i want it, it's usually when i am having a cheat meal, on the drink or I have just watched the episode of breaking bad where he throws a pizza on the roof.

I don't think you can compare. It's apples to oranges. Instant vs bean to cup is a much more reasonable comparison but I will agree with the other poster that it is like comparing mash and smash but if that is what OP likes, then good for him.

Btw i actually believe this thread is just an attempt to bait a middle class troll discussion on overpriced instant coffee.

Caporegime
Instant has its place, 10 day trek across the Canadian wilderness for example . Bad instant coffee is just not drinkable. The best instant coffee is, OK, it isn't really very pleasurable though. It is like drink a bottle of water, or maybe say a cheap apple juice or something. Its OK, serves a purpose, doesn't taste bad, but is totally unremarkable. And you soon get really bored of it as there is very little complexity or depth, just a mild generic coffee flavor. Perfectly find if you are carrying up a mountain, or in an an emergency in the office, but why you would bother at home I don;t know. Price isn't an argument, drinkable instant coffee is more expensive than grinding your fresh beans.

This is also something uniquely British. No other country I have been to ever uses instant coffee except for the aforementioned emergency circumstances or practically of not carrying an espresso machine or cafetiere. Same with margarine instead of butter, tasteless black tea, and tasteless white bread - although the latter is shared with America.

Caporegime
Instant has its place, 10 day trek across the Canadian wilderness for example . Bad instant coffee is just not drinkable. The best instant coffee is, OK, it isn't really very pleasurable though. It is like drink a bottle of water, or maybe say a cheap apple juice or something. Its OK, serves a purpose, doesn't taste bad, but is totally unremarkable. And you soon get really bored of it as there is very little complexity or depth, just a mild generic coffee flavor. Perfectly find if you are carrying up a mountain, or in an an emergency in the office, but why you would bother at home I don;t know. Price isn't an argument, drinkable instant coffee is more expensive than grinding your fresh beans.

This is also something uniquely British. No other country I have been to ever uses instant coffee except for the aforementioned emergency circumstances or practically of not carrying an espresso machine or cafetiere. Same with margarine instead of butter, tasteless black tea, and tasteless white bread - although the latter is shared with America.

I'll never forget the look on my friends' faces when I first moved to Holland and made instant coffee. This was herecy, I lay awake at night waiting to be sacrificed to the coffee gods.

Caporegime
I've been tempted by a machine a few times but get good results with my heavy frying pan now that I've worked out the temps and have the method down (basically keep a lid on the pan and toss the beans every 5-10 seconds). It's quite Zen and pretty good for the forearms too.

It was this, I remember it was £600!

https://www.ikawacoffee.com/product...JFG-eAPw9y7vMPaOvdKfihoKlV1N9yYBoCzisQAvD_BwE

But I think this is probably more fun to experiment with.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2328239312...&rk=6&rkt=21&sd=142757021933&itm=232823931250

But this seems better value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OTTIMO-J...m=153413804703&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Caporegime
Hardly. I've never eaten Smash. Again, why would you pay over the odds for something 'ready made' when it's so damn easy to boil some potatoes then mash them yourself. Madness.

People are lazy. Takes time to peel and boil spuds rather than pouring a mix and boiling water into a bowl.

Caporegime
Subject to preference.
I've known good and foul from each kind of coffee... I most commonly use instant because if I had the time I'd be making tea anyways.

Maybe they were... Maybe she didn't manage to escape the tourist zone?
Besides, being Italian means nothing. Bryan Brown jokes in FX about the best place to get a pizza being Sydney, him being Australian... but last time I Googled a couple of years ago, Sydney did indeed hold a world pizza award of some kind.

I'm half-lazy. I don't peel them. Besides, the jackets are the good bits, no?

when i went to italy i only went to tourist places and although the pizza wasn't world class. it was still 100 times better than dominos.

Caporegime
That's not exactly a sensible measure, though, is it? EVERYTHING is better than a Dominos!!

Maybe she does indeed frequent some fantastic pizza place over here that is vastly superior to anything Italy can manage.
Maybe her rich boyfriend has a thing for bimboes and often takes her to the finest dining establishments imaginable.
After all, I've seen some pretty nasty, filthy, chavvy types at restaurants with more Michelin stars that they've had teenage abortions!

It appears you did not actually ask, before pronouncing judgement, which place(s) she goes to that does pizza so well... which would be the sensible thing to do, juuuuuuuuuuuust in case there's something amazing you're missing out on. ;)

She's from cumbernauld. Her basic diet is Gregg's sausage rolls.

You may want to Google cumbernauld now

Soldato

Because of this we end up paying over the odds for a 'real' coffee. It's seen as a luxury thing and people are happy to pay £3+ for one. Go to European countries like Spain, Italy etc and you can get a coffee for a euro.

Man of Honour
when i went to italy i only went to tourist places and although the pizza wasn't world class. it was still 100 times better than dominos.

One of the best pizzas I ever had was in Rome, you could buy it by the slice, and it was about 5cm thick, like a slice of cake.
I’d point at it, and they’d say, caldo o freddo ? (hot or cold?), I liked it cold.
The most consistently good pizza I had, was at a little mom and pop place in Chelsea, New York City.

Urggg even contemplating that makes me feel sick.
Bit rancid lad, not gonna lie.....

That’s how I am with tea, no idea if it tastes rancid, I don’t drink it, just the smell makes me nauseous.

I much prefer the coffee in Spain to the UK.
cafe con leche

Being a black coffee man, I go for café solo in Spain, uma bica, or um café in Portugal.

Man of Honour
It’s interesting... my grampy always seems to make a lovely coffee for an instant coffee and, yeah, it’s UHT thinking about it! Huh.

Back
Top Bottom