The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom

Soldato
Take your point but come on, who doesn't have internet these days? And I'm sure my connection drops maybe once a month if I'm unlucky.. All I'm saying is don't not buy a great game because of one crappy feature that it has. Doesn't it also save you having to put the disc in?

I agree it's not a massive point but it's a point non the less. If I move or something happens where I am without an internet connection the inability to play a single player game is a joke.

I won't pay for a game with this type of DRM, there is no need :) It's a moronic and backwards way of doing it. Steam have the right idea.

Soldato
Take your point but come on, who doesn't have internet these days? And I'm sure my connection drops maybe once a month if I'm unlucky.. All I'm saying is don't not buy a great game because of one crappy feature that it has. Doesn't it also save you having to put the disc in?

What if im on a train and there is no internet connection?
What if im abroad and I have no WiFi/3G signal?

We are no where near getting to the point where wherever you are you will have an internet connection that is stable enough to not get you kicked from the game.

The DRM is a stupid idea. End of.
It is NOT up to the devs how or when I play a game I have paid for. People get annoyed at apple for being restrictive but apparently this DRM is fine in your mind?
For that reason im not buying it.

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
No... But with everything maxed out at 1680x1050 It wasn't as smooth as i'd like it to be. Might be bugs though as theres a fair bit of artifacting (things showing up black, dodgy shadows) in the beta. I'm on an i7 860 + 8800GT.

Doh my gf will be unhappy then ..she might have to upgrade i think :p

Associate
I enjoyed the beta, although I got stuck (can't remember on which level)

I got the black flashing trees in the distance, but it could have been my drivers or cfire.

to be honest the DRM doesnt sound as bad as say GTA4.

Might be a good game :)

RDM

RDM

Soldato
DRM isn't that bad. It doesn't limit you in all honesty. Once you uninstall you get your activation back apparently. (Basing this off Anno 1404(Which also has DRM)reviews).

Unless Ubisoft go out of business or when Settlers 8 comes out and they decide to stop running the servers for Settlers 7.

Caporegime
Yes I concur. I think Ubisoft have swung too far in the wrong direction. Maybe a weekly auhtentication or something would ease the pain.

why weekly?

During the course of a week are you going to pirate the game you just bought?

DRM like this only affects the people who legitimately own it.

Caporegime
DRM isn't that bad. It doesn't limit you in all honesty. Once you uninstall you get your activation back apparently. (Basing this off Anno 1404(Which also has DRM)reviews).

If your router cuts out the game supposedly ends without saving.

So little blip in your internet connection can = hours of gameplay lost

http://www.aeropause.com/2010/02/ubisoft-drm-explained-gamers-are-screwed/

It appears that you will not be able to play an Ubisoft game if your lose connection to the Ubisoft servers. This connection works both ways. If the Ubisoft servers go down, you cannot play your game, as it will not load. If your Internet connection goes down, you will again, be locked out from playing.

Even worse is if you are in the middle of a game, and you somehow lose contact with the Ubisoft servers, the game stops running, and you lose any progress from your last save point.

And activatio nservers like this never work well on launch day.

Associate
why weekly?

During the course of a week are you going to pirate the game you just bought?

DRM like this only affects the people who legitimately own it.

If I buy a game and it has DRM normally I just download the crack for it online anyway. :p

Soldato
Associate
I bought it, is great so far, although I'm not even half way through. It is lacking a fast forward button though, so I have to wait quite a lot :(

Also you can no longer use your army guy on a horse to explore the map, as the fog of war is gone and the general can only move between strongholds/invade enemy towers.

Associate
I gave in and ordered this as it had free next day delivery and i could give it a good go over the next few days.

I am annoyed about the DRM but my pc is always conected to the internet anyway.

Will this link up with steam?

Back
Top Bottom