The smell of smokers

Soldato
McDaniel said:
A ban in pubs doesnt really bother me either way, i do hope the DO NOT ban it in clubs though, because smoke covers up the awful smell of sweat and feet n crap!

I was playing in a club in Sweden last year where they had a smoking ban. I can honestly say that I didn't notice the smell of sweat, I just noticed that the air was a lot cleaner in there and I wasn't coughing my guts up like I usually am the next morning... Also my clothes and records didn't smell as much. Theres nothing worse than opening my record bag the next day to be hit with a cloud of smoke!

Last edited:
Soldato
They have had a ban for a long time now and it is working really well, Sweden has really harsh laws on bannable substances but I think the smoking ban works there because they have allowed access to EU banned tobacco substances like Snus which provide an alternative to cigerettes, they are much healthier, don't cause passive smoke, don't smell and are seen as fashionable.

Soldato
I don't smoke and never have, but I've never understood what the fuss is about. It doesn't bother me at all of someone smokes around me. Heck, I've accompanied people outisde countless times when they went for a cigarette. That said, I'm not too fond of stale smoke or the taste of smokers, but all that means is that I wash my clothes after going out anyway and I keep smokers as friends :)

Suspended
Smokers do stink, a brothers mate entire family smokes, he used to come round but he smelled so bad I started feeling sick and told him to get out. Didn't like. Smokers should be more respective of other people, and realize they stink. You stink and it's not right to make other people sick because you don't care or can't smell it yourself. For example if a farmer working with horse manure goes into a posh restaurent still wearing his overalls impregnated with manure smell. According to smokers "rights" he has every right to stink of manure and for other people to smell his stench.

Although usually there's a level of smoker's clothes that don't smell, probably amount of smoke into the clothes, type of tabacco, and amount of time clothes were last washed.

Associate
If I've been out drinking somewhere very smoky, I'm almost guaranteed to feel rotten the next day, due to stinging eyes and feeling blocked up. It makes any slight hangover feel ten times worse.

Soldato
I'm an ex smoker and my wife works in a pub, I can smell her as she comes through the front door after being at work, the stench is pretty disgusting.

Of course I never used to notice it when I smoked but I can now, bleurgh.

Soldato
WatchTower said:
If someones gasing you with smoke go up to them and fart in their face and say "Now we're even."

If you moan about him smoking, my housemate has a habit of blowing smoke in your face when you're not expecting it and saying ''haha cancer'' :rolleyes:

Suspended
Scam said:
If you moan about him smoking, my housemate has a habit of blowing smoke in your face when you're not expecting it and saying ''haha cancer'' :rolleyes:

I would save up some urine in a water pistol and squirt him :D

Caporegime
WatchTower said:
If someones gasing you with smoke go up to them and fart in their face and say "Now we're even."

Anyone who did that to me would be feeling the force of my fist connecting with their face;). But luckily i dont make it a habit to blow smoke in peoples faces unless im messing around with mates but thats usually done with a big fat rolled up blunt packed with pure weed....nothing better than seeing someone getting ko'd off fumes:p

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Scam said:

Why did I laugh at that image? :(

Soldato
This might be odd, but i LOVE the smell of a rollup thats just been lit.

:/

I do however hate the small of stale smoke. Makes me gag violently.
Just one of those things i've been brought up with, whole family smoke, log fire downstairs, but damn, the smell of my dad lighting a rollup in the car on the way to holiday when I was younger. Makes me feel warm and safe. Guh.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Psypher5 said:
This might be odd, but i LOVE the smell of a rollup thats just been lit.

:/

I do however hate the small of stale smoke. Makes me gag violently.
Just one of those things i've been brought up with, whole family smoke, log fire downstairs, but damn, the smell of my dad lighting a rollup in the car on the way to holiday when I was younger. Makes me feel warm and safe. Guh.

Then it's more to do with a sentimental attachment isn't it? Smell invoke strong memories. It's just like a certain smell could remind you of being on holiday or moisturiser may remind you of your mother.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Psypher5 said:
Yeah I 'spose it is. But dammit couldn't they have made my attachments with a nice smell? !

Both my parents smoke so I have a slight attachment to certain smells, in the sense if I smell a certain variety of tobacco it reminds me of my dad. I was watching Zulu earlier and I always used to watch that with my dad growing up, on bank holidays drinking cups of tea. The same memory is echoed when I watch UK history or old war films.

Still, I don't especially like the smell and I absolutely hate choking on mucas the next morning and reeking of stale smoke. It really is unpleasant.

Man of Honour
OP
Street said:
Theres nothing worse than opening my record bag the next day to be hit with a cloud of smoke!

I take two metal cases with me to my gigs - one has my wireless microphone and wireless headphone monitors and the other has odds and ends in it. If I need to open them up during the week I have to take them outside because the smell of stale smoke rushes all around the house.

The thread isn't about the banning of smoking but 'if smokers could smell what we non smokers can smell then perhaps they wouldn't do it'.

Thanks for the birthday wishes - been crap up to yet.

Hitman
Permabanned
ElRazur said:
Like most have pointed out already, smokers stink. I go one step further, i wont kiss any lady that smoke. The last time i did, i felt sick and threw up...uuuuuurgh. :(

I won't kiss a smoker either, it makes me feel really ill, and it would mean being around the disgusting smell.

I used to hate visiting my friends parents because they smoked, and after I stayed all the clothes in my bag needed washed, worn or not. I don't have any smoker friends, but I wouldn't let that smell into my house if I did.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I think a no smokers allowed message needs posting in future meet threads.
I for one would not feel comfortable around those that feel this way.

I Never smoke anywhere but my own home and car but as i smell so much i am sure you wouldn't want me around.
It is nice to be in a smoke free environment as this makes it much easier to not smoke. I can go for hours without a smoke in such situations.
When i done my D.C. many moons ago i didn't smoke or even want one for over 3 months.
Having smoked for over thirty years i have struggled time and time again trying to give up but have failed every time.
I don't expect you lot to understand this as your heads are to far up your *****.

Back
Top Bottom