The smell of smokers

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
I think a no smokers allowed message needs posting in future meet threads.
I for one would not feel comfortable around those that feel this way.

I Never smoke anywhere but my own home and car but as i smell so much i am sure you wouldn't want me around.
It is nice to be in a smoke free environment as this makes it much easier to not smoke. I can go for hours without a smoke in such situations.
When i done my D.C. many moons ago i didn't smoke or even want one for over 3 months.
Having smoked for over thirty years i have struggled time and time again trying to give up but have failed every time.
I don't expect you lot to understand this as your heads are to far up your *****.

If you wanted to, I mean really really wanted to - you would find a way to quit. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Heads up our *****? I think you'll find we're merely telling you how it is. I fail to see how this is a problem at meets, when:

a) Other people will be smoking anyway in clubs, etc so the smell will be there either way.
b) You've suggested you don't smoke around others.

Soldato
I hate the smell of smoke, you can tell straight away when someone who smokes comes into the room. I hate going to the pub for luch then coming home to a smoke free environment, I can smell the smoke on my own clothes as I am forced to change as it bothers me that I am smelling of smoke, I don't feel clean at all. I'll be glad to see the smoking ban come in, even my friends who smoke say it's a good idea and it will be more likely to help them give up.

Associate
I think you guys are over reacting with regards to the smoke thing, sure if i go to Mcdonalds or a public library i dont want to be seeing people smoking, particularly because young children may be around.

In a pub or nightclub however i think its part of the atmosphere and is traditional imo, smoking has been going on for decades and is no bad thing imo, yes people will take it to excess just like drink and drugs and it costs the NHS etc but other issues are much more serious such as underage drinking.

I dont smoke for the reccord, just not for me i guess.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
You have absolutely No idea what you are talking about.

Really?

That's why I've helped two of my friends give up and even managed to talk my parents into giving up is it?

You're full of yourself, stop making excuses and give up. You're making excuses because deep down, you don't want to.

I know damn well it isn't easy. I've seen my parents who were fully committed to quitting, lose focus and resort back to smoking because their will wasn't strong enough. Where do you get off telling me I don't know what I'm talking about? Ofcourse, I've never had to quit myself, but that's because I wasn't stupid enough to start in the first place.

Permabanned
Nix said:
Really?

That's why I've helped two of my friends give up and even managed to talk my parents into giving up is it?

You're full of yourself, stop making excuses and give up. You're making excuses because deep down, you don't want to.

I know damn well it isn't easy. I've seen my parents who were fully committed to quitting, lose focus and resort back to smoking because their will wasn't strong enough. Where do you get off telling me I don't know what I'm talking about? Ofcourse, I've never had to quit myself, but that's because I wasn't stupid enough to start in the first place.

Totally agree, If you want to quit, you can, people who complain they can't just don't want to.

I've seen plenty of people quit with relative ease, my parents for example, just went cold turkey one day about the time I left for Uni and haven't smoked since (less stress? :p)

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't nicotine a physical addiction, and that's why it's hard to give up?

First of all, I'm not a smoker. Second of all, I highly doubt anyone here reacts "violently" to smoke. Go see a doctor if you do, it's not normal.

My mother smokes, but she is considerate enough to do it outside so the house doesn't smell. I doubt I'd be too bothered if she did it inside though, it's not that bad, and I'm not going to get cancer from being in my living room with a bit of smoke around for a few hours a day anyway. More likely to get it from burned toast. :rolleyes: :p

People are really overreacting to this, tbh.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
Like i said You know Nothing.
You help a few people and you know all. :p

Wanders off to laugh properly.

Are you going to explain yourself in a coherant argument or are you just going to accept that you're being pathetic?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Watch your Mouth.

There is no need to explain to you as you know all there is.
Why waste my time arguing with someone who has already insulted me and wouldn't listen even if i bothered.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
Watch your Mouth.

There is no need to explain to you as you know all there is.
Why waste my time arguing with someone who has already insulted me and wouldn't listen even if i bothered.

I'll watch my mouth when you give me a reason for telling me I'm wrong. I'm not insulting you, but as far as I'm concerned you're being pathetic. You're acting like you know best and wont justify yourself. I'm all ears and I want to listen, because if there's something I've missed it might help me help my other friends/family to quit. This isn't about you.

Soldato
Yup, smokers stink something rotten.

My old biology teacher once gave me a complete grilling for smoking in front of the whole class, saying that he could smell it all over me and that it was making his athsma worse.

He didn't believe me when I said that I had never smoked a cigarette, and that what he was smelling was actually the fowl stench of a selfish and filthy chimney of a smoker, my father, who smoked about 30 a day. It took me longer than you'd think to live-down the embarrassment of that particular situation, which wasn't the first or the last I have smokers to thank for.

Whenever I have been in a club or something, I have been knocked sick by the smell. People smoking around me makes me feel ill. Thank you smokers, you're such great people.

Cigarettes should be made a higher class drug and illegal like cannabis, IMO.

Soldato
Nix said:
I'll watch my mouth when you give me a reason for telling me I'm wrong. I'm not insulting you, but as far as I'm concerned you're being pathetic. You're acting like you know best and wont justify yourself. I'm all ears and I want to listen, because if there's something I've missed it might help me help my other friends/family to quit. This isn't about you.

I think he's commenting more on the sheer arrogance of forcing your opinions on someone like you are :confused:

What if he enjoys smoking? What if he actually wants to smoke?! Good lord no, he must be a poor defenseless smoker who needs saving by Nix in shining armour!

Give me a break.

Also, hilarity at:

Nix said:
You're acting like you know best and wont justify yourself.

Take a look in the mirror! Who are you to dictate others' actions?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Don't push me mate. You are young and think you know all YOU KNOW NOTHING about me.
If it is not personal then stop quoting me if you continue then i will Make it personal.

Thanks robmiller. So there is still some freedom here then.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
malc30 said:
Don't push me mate. You are young and think you know all YOU KNOW NOTHING about me.
If it is not personal then stop quoting me if you continue then i will Make it personal.

Don't push you?
Now you're sounding like a spoiled teenager. Why can't you please just explain to me what's so wrong with my opinion? You can't just tell me I'm completely wrong and not give me a reason. Just because you smoke doesn't mean you know the be all and end all and likewise, I don't.

Soldato
Nix said:
Don't push you?
Now you're sounding like a spoiled teenager. Why can't you please just explain to me what's so wrong with my opinion? You can't just tell me I'm completely wrong and not give me a reason. Just because you smoke doesn't mean you know the be all and end all and likewise, I don't.

You're wrong because you're acting like you have any right whatsoever to tell people what they can and cannot do. Wanting to do something you disapprove of and not caring about your disapproval does not make someone a "spoiled teenager".

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I think i will deal with you as i do All other spoilt little teenagers and that is just to ignore you. Why should i waste my time on such a stuck up little brat who is over opinionated and spouts off about something he doesn't know about.

Permabanned
robmiller said:
You're wrong because you're acting like you have any right whatsoever to tell people what they can and cannot do. Wanting to do something you disapprove of and not caring about your disapproval does not make someone a "spoiled teenager".

He's not wrong, malc made a whingy moany post earlier up the thread, about not being able to give up smoking.

I believe Nix is completely correct in his view that those that "can't" really just don't want to.

Anyone who wants to quit smoking can, it's not an impossible thing to do. The ones who quit easiest are the ones who actually want to quit, not just the ones who are trying to quit because the media tell them they should etc.

If you want to quite you can. It will still be hard, but it's very very possible.

malc30 said:
I think i will deal with you as i do All other spoilt little teenagers and that is just to ignore you. Why should i waste my time on such a stuck up little brat who is over opinionated and spouts off about something he doesn't know about.

Taking the easy way out :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom