The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Soldato
thats encouraging - i was finding it too hit and miss with focusing on my toddler with the A7 so hoping to see a strong improvement. Also gonna grab the sony 35mm 2.8 lens because of its compact size as a good option for on holiday / out and about (unless anyone can recommend an alternative)

Soldato
I’m on the cusp of buying one - currently selling off my Canon gear.

looking forward to it. Let us know how you find it
Anything you want to know, had mine since they were available in China.

I mostly got it for the AF and I didn't want the increased size of the later A7 bodies.
It keeps up perfectly with my 3 year old and 9 month old.

I have mine set so the shutter button does AF-S for static subjects.
The back button is then set to do AF-C with eye tracking for the children. Perfect setup for me, instant access to both focusing methods.
I use electronic shutter 99% of the time as well, coming from the A7R with its clunky shutter it's so nice.

Last edited:
Associate
I mostly got it for the AF and I didn't want the increased size of the later A7 bodies.
It keeps up perfectly with my 3 year old and 9 month old.

I have mine set so the shutter button does AF-S for static subjects.
The back button is then set to do AF-C with eye tracking for the children. Perfect setup for me, instant access to both focusing methods.
I use electronic shutter 99% of the time as well, coming from the A7R with its clunky shutter it's so nice.

Ah perfect, thank you.

So the reason I want it seems almost the same as you. I have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old who I simply can't keep focus on with my old 600D. The auto tracking eye focus is the main sell for me, plus the compact size and FF sensor make it a winner.

So when shooting the kids, you hold the back button to keep the focus, and fire off with the top shutter button?

Soldato
Ah perfect, thank you.

So the reason I want it seems almost the same as you. I have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr old who I simply can't keep focus on with my old 600D. The auto tracking eye focus is the main sell for me, plus the compact size and FF sensor make it a winner.

So when shooting the kids, you hold the back button to keep the focus, and fire off with the top shutter button?
Yes for the children hold the back button to either track their eyes, face or area then just fire of shots with the shutter button. Makes it feel like cheating compared to my older camera.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheating sounds good to me! I hate how much of my stuff is slightly off focus. I know I should just 'get good', but I'd rather just get the shot.

Which lens do you use *most*? I'll start off with the kit lens and see how I find it, but am sure I'll send up grabbing either the Sony 24-240 mm or the 18-105G

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheating sounds good to me! I hate how much of my stuff is slightly off focus. I know I should just 'get good', but I'd rather just get the shot.

Which lens do you use *most*? I'll start off with the kit lens and see how I find it, but am sure I'll send up grabbing either the Sony 24-240 mm or the 18-105G
I have the Tamron 28-200 I use that with the kids most of the time, but the Sony 35 f2.8 is my most used lens. It keeps the overall setup nice and compact and it's a decent lens and 35 and wider is my favourite focal length.

Caporegime
Associate
Finally bit the bullet and ordered the A7C. £1729 from WEX (minus £26 in cash back) for the A7C in Silver, plus the kit lens, plus the Bluetooth tripod / handle.

really looking forward to it!

Soldato
I meant to follow up but I’ve only been able to test mine today. Cheating is exactly the word I would use, what an amazing difference from my original Sony A7 - the Eye Focus using the back button then firing off shots from there is unreal - I don’t think I have missed focus once!

Soldato
I meant to follow up but I’ve only been able to test mine today. Cheating is exactly the word I would use, what an amazing difference from my original Sony A7 - the Eye Focus using the back button then firing off shots from there is unreal - I don’t think I have missed focus once!
Good isn't it. Just the perfect overall camera for me, the size is spot on, no excuse not to take it with me. I regret not getting the kit lens but I got mine so early there was no feedback on the lens yet.

Soldato
I didn’t get the kit as I was upgrading, I mainly use the 55mm 1.8 but really keen on going to a small 35mm for a different range but also make the camera basically a ultra high quality pocket cam

Soldato
Excellent that’s the one I’m looking at - I don’t mind the extra cost of the 1.8 but the size is off putting for what I’m looking for the lens to be (basically all day carry on holiday etc)

glad you like it - any sample shots you could share?
One of the very first pictures I took with it.
https://flic.kr/p/iNYFPD
From there you might be able to go through some of my photos not sure how many are on Flickr though.

I plan to get the 35GM soon as well so the 2.8 is a perfect pair for me.

Soldato
Soldato
One of the very first pictures I took with it.
https://flic.kr/p/iNYFPD
From there you might be able to go through some of my photos not sure how many are on Flickr though.

I plan to get the 35GM soon as well so the 2.8 is a perfect pair for me.

Some cracking shots in there and your cat is near identical to my big ginner boy! You going for the 1.4 35?

Worth emailing these and asking if they'll get stock back in, it's half the price.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/190...5mm_f2.8_za_full-frame_e-mount_lens_sel35f28z

thanks for the heads up, will give them a try!

Back
Top Bottom