The Sony KD-65XE9305 is dead... long live the [xxxx]?

Soldato
I am in the market for a 65” TV and having researched a fair bit it looks like the Sony KD-65XE9305 was the buyer’s choice in the £1.5-2k bracket for the last 3 months but it’s now EOL and OOS everywhere. So what are the alternatives in this price range?

My usage will be almost purely Netflix/Amazon but I don’t want a TV that suffers from poor viewing angles or motion blur. It may once in a month of Sundays be used for PS4. I would consider OLED if it is worth the premium.

Thanks for your input.

Soldato
Oled and yes worth it, however be aware that the LG 2018 range is unlike the 2017 range, the entry level B 18' OLED has an A7 processor whereas the C series and upwards will have the A9 processor. Unlike LG's 17' range that every model shared the same processor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheapest 65" OLED around is the LG ones, £2.5k. They are not without there own issues though, the new 2018 models the 65" is upwards of £4k so way out of price range.

Soldato
OP
Are any of Sony’s 2018 models direct replacements for the 65XE9305? I’d rather spend closer to £1600 than £2200.

I can get 15% discount as the VAT here is only 5%, so that helps. Maybe the LG65B7V? Though I must admit I’d rather have Sony for build and sound quality.

I can’t imagine burn in will ever be an issue based on our usage - max on time 3hrs per day.

Last edited:
Associate
Are any of Sony’s 2018 models direct replacements for the 65XE9305? I’d rather spend closer to £1600 than £2200.

I can get 15% discount as the VAT here is only 5%, so that helps. Maybe the LG65B7V? Though I must admit I’d rather have Sony for build and sound quality.

I can’t imagine burn in will ever be an issue based on our usage - max on time 3hrs per day.

I dream of 5% vat :(

Soldato
OP
If I buy locally then in reality it’s 10% saving with the price gouging here but if ordering from John Lewis and the like they refund VAT. Obviously trickier to return if a fault though!

I’ve never really bothered with a separate sound system, but could get a soundbar this time.

Associate
If I buy locally then in reality it’s 10% saving with the price gouging here but if ordering from John Lewis and the like they refund VAT. Obviously trickier to return if a fault though!

I’ve never really bothered with a separate sound system, but could get a soundbar this time.

you should really consider a separate sound system with a TV of that size , go 2.1 at the very least

Soldato
OP
Looks like a lot of new models are being released in the next few weeks so I suppose best to wait to see what discounts appear on the 2017 models. Do any of you have the B7?

Soldato
Yes and come the end of April you'll probably not be able to get one if it's the same as any previous year. The discount is already there OLED generally don't come under £1400 at the end of their yearly cycle.

Soldato
OP
I can get the KD-65XF9005 locally for £1,899. I saw it in person yesterday and it’s pretty impressive, it was sitting right next to the Sony A1 OLED and although it’s colours weren’t as deep on the LCD, I found the OLED a bit dim (not to mention the extra £1k on the price tag!) so I don’t think I’ll wait for the new OLED LGs as I’m happy with LCD.

The feet were fine tbh, I was expecting to hate them after seeing the photos but in the flesh they actually look quite good. The remote feels very cheap and plasticky though compared to the aluminium remote my parents have for their old Bravia.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom